Texan

Hello,
I thought I would share a knife I just finished up. I call it the Texan.

Here's some specs:
1084/15n20 low count billet, 6 1/2 inch edge hardend blade with full distal taper, pinned antiqued 1018 badge with a nickle silver star that spins, 5 1/4 inch handle with pinned walrus ivory scales.

wtexan.jpg

Bottom view

wtexanbottom.jpg

Thanx for looking

Rik

Nicely done Rik - unsual & cool. Great job on the photos too - I'm really enjoying the more 'still life' style of photos that seems to be becoming more popular. Thanks for sharing!

A very interesting touch on the handle design. How does it feel in the hand with the handle going down to the width of the metal? I think I would like a full handle better. Don't know for sure unless I tried it out. A very nice knife just the same.

Reid Allen

Sweet looking damascus pattern. Resembles a landscape a bit. Nice work.

not big on the spur but I really like the damascus. Very nice.:thumbup:

I think it's a terrific piece - innovative and distinctive. Love it.

Roger

I like it. Knowing Rik's work it is going to feel good in the hand. Classic with his "typical" creative twist. Good to see you and your work here Rik. To be honest, I would not have guessed this one was yours.

gus

There is a lot of good stuff going on in that knife. Is that a fuller around the full tang? I'd really like the chance to look it over closer. This is one for the "innovative" thread. :thumbup: Lin

Rik,
I'm with east village and everyone else. Beautiful knife. :thumbup:
Love the spinning star.
Just came from viewing your Nessmuk friction folder,another beauty.
You have a very fertile imagination. :cool:
Looking forward to seeing more of your craft.
Do you favor Damascus or Monosteels? With your creativity probably what the design calls for,eh.
Anywho,
WELCOME TO BLADEFORUMS.:D

Doug :)

Thanx everyone for the comments!

waredbear,
I wasn't sure myself after sketching it out so I profiled one out of piece of cherry wood and was surprised that the badge circle/hump thing actually felt comfortable. The knife is balanced at the choil so the grip feels pretty good. I'm not sure I'll keep the ivory on it. I really would like to see what black checkered ebony wood would look like maybe with even a black patina on the blade. I was also thinking of gold plating the star but I'm kinda leaning towards keeping it silver now.

eastvillage, lwrhea,
The fullerg/groove goes all around the handle and stops just short of the circle bulge on both sides. I think it gives the handles a "pillow" feel and lightens it up some too.

Bastid,
I think I'm going to start trying some classic designs.

Keith Montgomery,
That knife in your avatar is AWESOME!! do you have a bigger pic? that thing looks great!

leatherbird,
thanx for the welcome, I like both mono and damascus steels. Damascus allows more room for designs and gets me out of the bar, I do enjoy making knives out of old files too though. I like clay hardening, texturing, really heavy patinas up against polished areas.

Rik

i like the knife and think it would be killer with a nice stag handle. i find the damascus pattern particularly appealing.

i went to your website and saw that little wallet mouse knife. i would love to have one of those

Back