Texas Pecan shucking party

Bawanna

I looked all over and couldn't find the original thread where Ndog sent me something and used Pecans for packaging.

I can't remember what it was he sent now either, I guess the wait is over, Ahlzeimers has reared its ugly head? That's gonna drive me crazy the rest of the day until I remember what is was????? Help Ndog?

Anyhow not sure how it started, yesterday during breaks from checkering I starting cracking nuts. Didn't get too many cracked.

Last night we had some friends over that we haven't seen in years and some how it ended up turning into a pecan shucking party.

What a lot of work! But they sure are good and hopefully there's a pecan pie in the future.

My little pal Kimberly (her and her mom were visiting from Idaho) had a great time. What a little bundle of energy, wish I could bottle it and use some myself. They are off to the zoo this morning and headed home this afternoon.

Fun time Saturday night! The guy with no hair is the guy that brought the 62 caliber muzzle stuffer for show and tell mentioned in Bookies wheel lock thread.

The fruits or our labors.

On the bright side I now recall what ndog sent me wrapped in pecans. It was a piece of deer antler. I was holding it thinking and scratching my head (explains lack of hair) and the duh light bulb came on.

Sometimes I wonder how I survive without walk and don't walk signs out here in the country.

looks like everyone was having a good time, but Kimberly looks to be one of those kids that just seems to always have fun regardless of what is going on.

What gets really sad though Bawanna is when you get to the point like me where when the don't walk sign comes on you stop and when the walk sign goes on you try but can't remember where you were going and why you wanted to cross the street... :D

Oh Khul! Man thats a party! Man if I knew a box of peecans would make that much fun id send ya more every weekend!! Glad yall are enjoying them. Shes a cutie! Thats the impression I got too Shavru! Shes having fun! I almost forgot what I sent you too Bawanna so thanks for reminding me. Those pecans where some thick shelled ones and pretty dang hard to crack. The ones I usually get are easier to crack. From my experience the harder they are to get to the better they taste. Look like you got enough there for a few pies!

They were a challenge indeed, or in the immortal words of somebody I'm sure was important "A tough nut to crack.

I cracked em ok but getting the good part out was tough.

I did find that if I cracked em end to end rather than from the side I ended up with a more harmonious outcome.

I crack each end off all the way around then remove the "caps" then crack the middle open. Its a challenge getting them out whole which is a fun for the kids. Dont know if that works for only one kid tho? Competition thing ya know. Guess it dont matter long as you have fun and get a couple of pies outta the deal. A little Ice cream with hot pecan pie usually helps justify the trouble as well. If I get a chance to collect some by the river this year before others get there Ill send you some easier ones. Might even stuff a squirrel in there to help with the crackin:D

Back