Thanks for the info-Guys

I took delivery on a used and dull Fallkniven today that I bought on E-bay cheap. When I go it out of the box I could see glints of dull spots on the edge. One drag across paper told the story. It tore paper instead of cutting across almost the entire blade.
I review some info from this site at work and on the way home I stopped at the hardware store and picked up the parts to make a "Hoodoo hone." Thanks to who ever came up with the idea. I selected emery paper in grits from 1200 to 220 and some double face tape. I cut a block of 2x4 and sanded the edges. I double face taped a trimmed old mouse pad to one side of the black and used thumb tacks to secure it.
Starting with the 220 grit paper I stropped the blade until the edge was even, without glints. Then I moved to finer and finer grits until the edge was polished down enough to shave thin paper trimmings well. I finished up on an old leather belt, stropping until the blade was razor sharp along the entire length.

Now this knife will shave off a paper curl as thin as horse hair that curls up as it goes. A slashing cut will evenly slice off a sheet of paper with zero drag. I boned a smoked ham with it just now and it is a cutting machine. After multiple contacts with the heavy ham bone I noticed a little drag on the cutting edge near the blade curvature. I cleaned it off and quickly stropped it back to razor sharp with a few passes on a leather belt.

All this I learned lurking here.

Thanks again

Riddle of Steel

I searched for hoodoo hone, but none of the threads seemed to have this set up.

Any chance you could post a link?

Thanks

Thank you for the thank you. This forum is great for all sorts of sharing in depth information about all types of knives. There is a lot of give and take. Join up and stay with us.

Back