Thanks to Bruce Bump

I have to extend a special thanks to Bruce Bump. This past monday and tuesday, I was fortunate enough to visit with Bruce and learn how to make a knife. The knowledge that I gained will truly be invaluable. Bruce took me from start to finish on a nice hunting knife. I had no prior hands on knowledge in knifemaking except for what I've read and seen in videos. Bruce took time out of his busy schedule to help me out, all without asking for anything in return. What a great experience.

I promise to get some pictures posted here along with a step by step explanation of what we did from start to finish. Need a couple of days to get things all together and also to let life slow down a bit with the Holidays and all.

Also got to see the new pistol folder Bruce is working on...All I can say is TOO COOL!!!!!

Again, thanks Bruce, it is truly a blessing to have someone to help a guy out, all while asking for nothing in return.

Schucks it was nothin. Actually we worked pretty hard on that hunter. It came out very nice I think. Bob had never ground a blade or forged before so he had to learn alot in two days. He chose a hard design for the first one too. Loveless drop point forged to shape with forged in tapered full tang and full flat grind. We milled a brass finger guard and pinned it in place and put some nice ironwood scales on with hidden bolt fasteners. Heat treated in salt and quenched the edge for a temper-line. Bob did most of the work and did a nice job. Cant wait to see a picture.

I haven't had the opportunity to visit with Bruce at his shop, but he has offered me a lot of advice through this forum. He's a great guy (not to mention, a little bit talented too;) ) Thanks Bruce for all of your advice and help! Have a merry Christmas.

Rick

Back