That moment before you use a brand new CRK knife

Kettleman

I left when this stopped being fun
Platinum Member
You guys of anyone know that feeling, the one you get when you have a brand new CRK in your hand and are getting ready to use it, clean it, hell even just sit it down on a table without the cloth. You know that as soon as you disturb the natural pristine state you release that NIB magic, the genie escapes and are committed ( or at least taking a hit at resale time).

It’s even worse when the knife in question is a rare or really sought after model. You start second guessing yourself and your needs vs wants and desires. “ Do I really need this one?” “It’s not too late there’s a list of guys that will buy it right now” “ Stop now and go to eBay and make $100 or $200!” ” What if she notices this one is new?” And on and on….

Maybe its tougher for those of us that will use it, no judgement towards the place it on a throne and marvel at it folks, hell maybe you guys are smarter then us? We know that once we slip it into our pockets we are gonna scratch or ding it and the “ my precious” days are over.

It’s a kind of adrenaline rush with the The Clash playing in the back ground! I mean it’s not a life changing decision and it’s sure not like someone’s asking you to unplug aunt Edith ( sorry again about that aunt Edith) but it feels like an important decision at the time. You just spent what most people would freak out about and you are about to use it to open a blister pack at a child’s birthday party! My lord man you could have bought your niece a playhouse with this Instead of that stupid Barbie!

And then you say F it! She’s my brothers kid, let him buy her the playhouse!
View attachment 2331341
View attachment 2331340

or is it just me…….

Anyway I just love that feeling! Welcome home beautiful!
View attachment 2331338

View attachment 2331339

nope, my first sebenza ever purchased sits mint and practically untouched. i think i might have unrolled it out of the cloth to look at. I only bought the tanto cause i thought it be interesting in 2017. Had to use up some ebay bucks. then i realized its not the most practical blade shape for my knife needs. much prefer the insingo blade. i even took that out the other night instead of the 31 small. just for old times sake

I tend to use all my CRK knives (eight). However, each time I put the new one into use I get this feeling that the knife is in some way going to change my life. I feel so much cooler walking around in “public” 😎 like this hidden object in a leather slip in my pocket is slightly magical.
Just to clarify, I do cut things with my CRK knives. After having a positive experience with the service department, I have the confidence that no matter how dinged up the knife gets they can restore it to new again.

That is my grail Inkosi, haven't been lucky enough to stumble across that configuration while I had play money to snag it.

A year or so ago I paid a premium for a LNIB (w/spare blade) PDW Seb 21 and immediately turned it into my EDC/user. Covered in snails now, I think it looks even better than before.

That is my grail Inkosi, haven't been lucky enough to stumble across that configuration while I had play money to snag it.

A year or so ago I paid a premium for a LNIB (w/spare blade) PDW Seb 21 and immediately turned it into my EDC/user. Covered in snails now, I think it looks even better than before.
The cards lined up perfectly for me on that one. I had just sold a knife like an hour before so my PayPal account was loaded and ready to go when I saw it! Its from the 1st run of the KA inkosi in 2017 and still NIB.

I Hate new looking knives...... Unless they are museum pieces..... Then they are historic, beautiful, Art.....

Knives should be carried and Used. Good Job!!!

*Although I am not a collector, I'm just a hack, and my knives look not so great (so I've been told). I'm ok with that. I would be upset if people were affraid to use them..... :D

Sometimes when I first have a knife I’m unsure about it because it’s unfamiliar to me. The Inyoni new at first seemed a bit too small and thin. I’ve throughly put it through the paces now. Huge cardboard box needed to be broken down (car bumper shipped to my house), did some wood carving, did some food prep, opened a lot of boxes and packaging. Now that the Inyoni and I are more comfortable, it’s very nice in hand and not too small at all (four finger grip).

I think a new knife can be polarizing at first, you can only truly know it by using it. Each task can be a test of your compatibility with the tool, and each test that the tool passes it gains more merit within you. CRK seems to hardly let down for the most part, so I think getting that new CRK is a joyous experience because you know you are going to have a good time with the tool. So long as your hand fits.

Back