The 21st Century Pen Knife.

This thread made me go dig out the classic I carried years ago. Had to hunt up a small split ring to use a lanyard and discovered the ring mounts on the blade pivot end. I put a small lanyard on and it seems a bit awkward. Wonder why it's on this end, seems unlikely the tiny blade would deploy while pulling out of a pocket if the ring was on the other end. My classic has 1 black and 1 white scale, was this common?

Whether you like or dislike the location of the ring on the Classic depends on whether you primarily use the knife blade or scissors. If you primarily use the scissors you'll appreciate the ring being where it is.

One of the reasons I prefer the Rambler to the Classic.

Thanks for pointing that out. If this Classic finds a place in my pocket again will probably try a Rambler.

Whether you like or dislike the location of the ring on the Classic depends on whether you primarily use the knife blade or scissors. If you primarily use the scissors you'll appreciate the ring being where it is.

Also a good point. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is why I carry the classic in a leather pouch sheath on my keys, so it's not attached at all. Just pull out of sheath and use. Of late, I haven't even used the sheath, just drop in coin pocket of the wranglers. The 58mm SAK's are so small, they just go unnoticed no matter what pocket you drove them in. In summer weather I sometimes drop the classic in the shirt pocket of whatever Magellan fishing shirt I'm wearing.

I might modify one of mine and grind off the keyring attachment with my Dremel. See how I like it. Edit: Done. This is my least favorite Classic so I used it as the tester. I will carry it this week and see how it goes. These Alox are so thin so I'm not sure if I will lose track of it without the lanyard.
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
This is why I carry the classic in a leather pouch sheath on my keys, so it's not attached at all. Just pull out of sheath and use. Of late, I haven't even used the sheath, just drop in coin pocket of the wranglers. The 58mm SAK's are so small, they just go unnoticed no matter what pocket you drove them in. In summer weather I sometimes drop the classic in the shirt pocket of whatever Magellan fishing shirt I'm wearing.

Last edited:
I might modify one of mine and grind off the keyring attachment with my Dremel. See how I like it. Edit: Done. This is my least favorite Classic so I used it as the tester. I will carry it this week and see how it goes. These Alox are so thin so I'm not sure if I will lose track of it without the lanyard.

Looks Good. Damm good!!!!

You've inspired me to maybe try that on one of my classics. Since I've taken to carrying it in the coin pocket, or if in dress type pants for grown up activities, just dropping in the shirt pocket, it may workout. The classic is like the Boker pen knife and the Buck 305 Lancer; a little knife so compact and light weight, it can really be dropped in about any pocket and not get in the way.

Good test, Gurdygurds.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Keep up posted on how it works out.

Roger that Jackknife I had a really nice copy of a long pull 305 Lancer but again couldn’t get over that the classic is versatile. Same with the 309 and 505 . Love those knives but the Classic still rules the roost. Now I have a Vic Waiter and the Classic still gets carried over that! I’ll see how the de-keyringed treats me tomorrow.

Roger that Jackknife I had a really nice copy of a long pull 305 Lancer but again couldn’t get over that the classic is versatile. Same with the 309 and 505 . Love those knives but the Classic still rules the roost. Now I have a Vic Waiter and the Classic still gets carried over that! I’ll see how the de-keyringed treats me tomorrow.

That's the ultimate draw to me and always has been. From my first boy scout knife given to me by dad when I was 12 years old, I've always worshiped at the shrine of versatility. Like a revolver, that can shoot anything from target loads to large hollowppoints to snake shot loads with equal reliability, the multitool knife has been my first choice. A knife is just a one trick pony, and needs a few tools to back it up. When I would carry a dedicated knife, there had to be a Sears 4-way screw driver and a P-38 on me. With even a small SAK, those tools can be jettisoned for the day, making my wallet a very good deal thinner.

I think I've talked about how many things I've actually fixed with a small SAK, to include the classic. That little screw driver that also works so well on small Phillips screws adds a whole other dimension other small pocket/keychain knife. Replaced the door latch on a Sears Kenmore clothes drier, fixed the control stick on an electric trolling motor on a canoe on a very long and winding lake, fixed a gummed up fishing real on the shore of a river, adjusted gun sights on the shooting range, tightened up a door knob assembly on the house when it was loose. A zillion things that I can't even list because I can't remember them all. The little SD tip even makes a decent beer bottle opener if you use a little care and don't pry, just twist gently. Beer cap material is very soft and bends out with very little effort. The tweezers are used often for small slivers we pick up gardening or whatever in the woods. Most important mission the tweezers was when Pearl The Wonder Corgi starting limping on a woods walk, and we found a sticker up in-between her paw pads. The classic tweezers getup there and go the thorn out, and the Wonder Corgi was very happy.

But all that is what makes the classic so amazing. If you look at the soooo small size of it, and weigh it against how darn useful the tiny thing is is day to day life in the real world, it's a very, very amazing little piece of gear. No wonder Victoriox sells several millions of these things every year. It really is the worlds most popular pocket knife.

If the little classic has just one failing, it's in cutting. It cuts open plastic packages, cuts twine, opens bags of mulch, mail, UPS boxes, and most things Need to cut. But on food stuff it's a little handicapped. And branches of stuff. If I find Ihave to trim a outcropping of a bush or small tree branch, the blade may be capable, but the larger 84mm SAK like a waiter, recruit, bantam, works better. A classic and a bantam/waiter/recruit would make a great dynamic duo for modern life.

Last edited:
Mine. I always have in the pocket of currency(change) a Minichamp which is partticulièrement useful in particular the orange pèle, and the pen. I carry(wear) in more a (compact) 91 mm
45926686195_26b62c284d_b.jpg

Rambler, Classic SD,Minichamp, manager, executive, Ambassador midnite manager,signature...

UPDATE: The Alox classic that has been de-keyringed is a go. I like it. I thought the lack of a tiny lanyard would mess with me, but it's been great. Sits in my back pocket even better now (no split ring and knot from the paracord) and there's nothing to get in the way when using the knife. About to Dremel off the keyring of a couple others and throw them into back pocket rotation. I'll leave a few stock so I can pop them on the keychain if need be. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

UPDATE: The Alox classic that has been de-keyringed is a go. I like it. I thought the lack of a tiny lanyard would mess with me, but it's been great. Sits in my back pocket even better now (no split ring and knot from the paracord) and there's nothing to get in the way when using the knife. About to Dremel off the keyring of a couple others and throw them into back pocket rotation. I'll leave a few stock so I can pop them on the keychain if need be. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That sounds like a great plan!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

That way you'll never be without at least that inch and a half of thin sharp blade as well as the tool capacity of the littlest SAK. Sometimes just a tiny bit of sharp can make all the difference in the world to you or someone else. That day I had to cut a seat belt in an upside down old Datsun B210 that was on fire, the inch and three quarter sheepfoot blade on my old Buck 301 did the trick, but in truth a classic would have done as well. I can't help but think of the elderly lady that fell on that escalator at the Boston shopping mall and her scarf got tangled in it. Nobody had a knife, and she chocked to death waiting of the emergency rescue people. If one swinging Richard has a sharp little classic, she'd have been saved.

Like my old man said about his Case peanut; "All it takes is a little bit of sharp."

I'm carrying a Classic today. It's a nice compliment to the Spyderco, which offers much less utility and cost 4x as much.

If they could JUST see their way clear to offer proper blade steels...

Fan of the Rambler myself but my wife always has a classic on her keychain, my daughter got one for her 12th birthday and I just picked one up in a sale ($1!) for my son when he's old enough.

"Heck, the classic will do that, in addition to snip, screw, file or pluck. And you can drop it in a coin pocket and forget you even have it on you till it's needed."
Or until it makes itself known in the dryer,LOL

Dremeled off the keyring attachment on this red Classic today. Been on my keychain or in my back pocket since I lost my blue one. These things really do turn into different creatures when not attached to lanyards or a lump of keys. If you like to just fiddle with something or roll your pocket knife around in your hand, then a SAK Classic without the keyring attachment is the ultimate "worry stone". My love for the 21st Century Pen Knife just continues to grow.

Yesterday I received the "Nail Clip white" I still have it in my pocket
49351328473_24a15ab8c1_c.jpg
49351788896_c38f3e42dd_c.jpg

Nice!

Has Victorinox changed the wire springs on the scissors to the Wenger style, or is that model a "Victorinox Delemont"?

Jim

Dremeled off the keyring attachment on this red Classic today. Been on my keychain or in my back pocket since I lost my blue one. These things really do turn into different creatures when not attached to lanyards or a lump of keys. If you like to just fiddle with something or roll your pocket knife around in your hand, then a SAK Classic without the keyring attachment is the ultimate "worry stone". My love for the 21st Century Pen Knife just continues to grow.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back