The Al Mar website has been updated!!

I see the new 2020 is going to be $112 us for the D2, and $72 for the 8cr13.

I'm sorry but I just bought a Artisan Cutlery Tradition: D2, G-10, and on bearings. And it was only $50. So with the Al-mar your paying a huge premium for the name.

Al-mar collectors are not gonna like it for all the obvious reasons already stated. It's just not an Al-mar. And the younger generation that don't remember the 80's are not gonna like as much as other knives like civivi, spyderco, cold steel etc.

What Al-mar should have been doing is figuring out how to lower the cost of their knives while keeping the quality up.

I agree with your last part and I understand what you are saying but I don't think a knife is limited to its material

Look at the following 3 knives and how the last 2 relate to the latest Al Mars in terms of material and look at the prices:

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario-RAT-Model-1-Liner-Lock--36924

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-275BK-Adamas-Folding--11077

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Brous-Blades-XR-1-Flipper-Knife--36010

I want to give them a shot but if they don't deliver I am more than happy to bury them

I understand what they are doing in terms of strategy and it's actually pretty smart but I also really hope they won't go the way of Gerber although that would be ironic!

Admittedly I've been an Al Mar fan since the 80s. But I have doubts about these knives too... they really seem to me more like the Kershaw collaborations rather than Al Mar going in a new direction. But if they represent Al Mar quality at that price, great.

I'm actually most interested in the titanium Falcon [or what they call it now]

The new website doesn't have a picture of the 40th Anniversary SERE, but I'm disappointed by that s it's basically like the current SERE 2020 series. I would really expect to see a recreated and updated 3003 for the 40th.

Realize most knives have gone from primarily tactical to primary EDC but the SERE is the original tactical folder. Anyone remember the ads for it, 90% survival seemed 10% weapon that would always be with you?

I was never super interested in Al Mar before, as the value proposition never made a ton of sense to me, but this hasn't helped them one bit in that regard. Why should I buy a Sere 2020 nowadays when so many better competitive options exist?

It states they are not covering knives made before 2/2019 if I am reading correctly.

Russ

stinger-keychain-knife-open-front-green.jpg

I cant remember who it is, but doesn't some other company already make this exact knife?

Really confused at Al Mar's decisions here, doesn't seem like they know who they're selling too anymore. It's honestly kind of sad because I really love their designs, but the materials don't match the price tag.
Did they get bought by another company? Because I have a feeling they might turn into the new Gerber - Respected brand turned into a joke.

My understanding is they have been sold.

I have a couple 80s and 90s SEREs [3002, 3003, and fixed blades]. Although I'm not a huge SERE 2000 fan I think I may need to buy one before they become Classics too.

My understanding is they have been sold.

I have a couple 80s and 90s SEREs [3002, 3003, and fixed blades]. Although I'm not a huge SERE 2000 fan I think I may need to buy one before they become Classics too.

Too late.

stinger-keychain-knife-open-front-green.jpg

I cant remember who it is, but doesn't some other company already make this exact knife?

Really confused at Al Mar's decisions here, doesn't seem like they know who they're selling too anymore. It's honestly kind of sad because I really love their designs, but the materials don't match the price tag.
Did they get bought by another company? Because I have a feeling they might turn into the new Gerber - Respected brand turned into a joke.

Hi,

The Stinger is an original Al Mar which you could recently find as the Kershaw AM-6 during the collaboration between Al Mar and Kershaw.

TBH I believe I see what Al Mar is doing:

- The Al Mar/Kershaw collaboration knives received raving reviews a couple of years ago which is why ETE would include its main components in the new knife catalog (flipper for both lines, D2 steel/Titanium frame lock for the high quality line and 8Cr13MoV/Liner lock for the more accessible line) - The same can be said for the new Stinger in D2. I will buy the Eagle Ultralight Titanium and if convincing may buy some others. Otherwise will mercilessly bury this brand!

- Really not in love with the new SERE with Assisted Opening. The SERE line was always meant to be at the forefront of technology, now I do understand that China offers D2 steel and Titanium for a very good price and an even better quality but it is definitely not new tech. I would dream of a SERE in ZDP-189 but that would require making it in Japan...

- Want the new Quicksilver as a collector item, beautiful 5" blade and only 3.7oz, no real use for me but beautiful knife.

- Can't wait to see their fixed blades in D2 (SERE Operator/Eagle and Quest)

It's kind of a tough brand to buy and immediately market.
For those who love quality, it's a great name - but we're a limited bunch and REALLY know fit and finish. There are great designs, but they are no longer understood to be tactical. We'd like the old designs we are missing, but at they same level of F&F.
For those who want newest steel per $$$ they ignored this line. I can see how they might buy a lesser 'Al Mar', but again not a large group.
If you want to start marketing your own designs under the Al Mar name, who does that appeal to? To the general knife buying public, Kizer may very well be a more established name - they have recent output and we know the quality we are getting for the money. We don't know what the new stuff will be like and the new designs might be something totally in the opposite direction - harpoon blades, angular handle.

At least when all those companies bought Case, they were still selling traditionals. Bad ones, but still traditionals.
It's easy to disappoint the fans, old designs miss the tactical market, the value buyer wants watered down versions (the Kershaw's lacked the elegance of a true Al Mar), nobody knows what to expect, the name brings as much anticipatory cringe as hope, and new designs might not fit the name at all.

Al Mar used to be an outstanding marque, and the quality was premium. Hopefully, they will not become a parody of themselves like SOG did. I still have two greats in the stable: the 5th Special Forces [Abn] bowie, and the SERE-folder.

mRuXFjlh.jpg

4eq7JUth.jpg

Based on your ongoing specific post content I smell a shill, or fan boy for a new company making cheap garbage that no one wants, but with a once respected (but overpriced) name.

The Kershaw or Nemesis homages are probably a better deal overall or find a used real deal in the exchange.

Not a shill, just a big fan.

Regarding their "new line" none of us have held it so it's hard to make a judgement. I have ordered and received a Seki made Eagle Talon with Honey Jigged Bone handles specifically to be able to compare it with the Chinese production.

Once I receive the Chinese made version I will most definitely post my thoughts regarding quality especially in the Fit and Finish department

I am tempted by a Nemesis MPR-3 as this is about as close to an Eagle HD that they will offer. I am afraid though that no more new Nemesis MPR knives will be offered as I believe the ETE deal included archived drawings and designs (To be confirmed)

I think that the Kershaw offering will slowly come out of stock. Don't get me wrong there are still plenty on offer around but the AM-6 is out of stock on both Bladehq.com and Knifecenter.com which is understandable as it would compete directly with the soon to be re-released Sting.

Unfortunately Assisted Opening knives are forbidden where I live which means the Kershaw AM line and the Al Mar SERE 2020 are not accessible to me

Wow, they sure drove Al Mar Knives off a cliff quick. Sad day for an old school Al Mar fan.
They were so well made and designed at one point. Now all I see is low quality Chinese junk; flippers, AO, weak F&F, bottom end steel, etc, etc, etc. It's just another bottom feeder crowding the bottom of the mud hole.
I guess I'll keep my eye on the Nemesis brand for interesting new Al Mar designs. And keep my eye on the Exchange here for sweet old school Al Mars.

Wow, they sure drove Al Mar Knives off a cliff quick. Sad day for an old school Al Mar fan.
They were so well made and designed at one point. Now all I see is low quality Chinese junk; flippers, AO, weak F&F, bottom end steel, etc, etc, etc. It's just another bottom feeder crowding the bottom of the mud hole.
I guess I'll keep my eye on the Nemesis brand for interesting new Al Mar designs. And keep my eye on the Exchange here for sweet old school Al Mars.

Have you actually held the new knives? I assume most of us that were at SHOT did and I came home with the SERE/Al Mar anniversary model. I do not see the problems you are stating. Japan, like it or not, is not a viable source for new designs these days. Not at a price the market will support anyway.

Have you actually held the new knives? I assume most of us that were at SHOT did and I came home with the SERE/Al Mar anniversary model. I do not see the problems you are stating. Japan, like it or not, is not a viable source for new designs these days. Not at a price the market will support anyway.

Yes I have held some of the new knives. Extremely unimpressed with them compared to their old offerings.
Spyderco has models still being made in Japan at a competitive price point. Endura, Delica, Stretch, Dragonfly, etc.

It’s too bad they didn’t end up being bought by Kai, they could have kept it as a high end speciality brand (like ZT but smaller) with high quality materials and manufacturing.
Agreed, Kai buying them would have been ideal. You laid out a great plan. Shame it didn't happen.

Al Mar is gone. It is just another Chinese value knife line now. So be it. Al Mar had always been more expensive then what I wanted to pay for AUS8, or VG-10.
Despite the cost, I did get a Sere 2000 (VG-10) on the Exchange close to ten years ago, thank you very much. It was pretty impressive in hand. In retrospect, I wish I had bought an Eagle or two. I came close so many times.
I am interested in the new designs if they can perform like Civivi, Bestech, or Artisan Cutlery.
Unfortunately, I still haven't heard any buzz about these knives, nor have any popular YouTube reviewers spent the time, or money presenting this new value line. Despite the initial excitement IMO, the Kershaw/Al Mar collaborations were a HUGE fail.

Very disappointing. RIP Al Mar x2.

The only updating they need is to put an asterisk after Al Mar and after every model that was produced before the company changed hands. For example: I bought a new Al Mar* Ultralight*.

Back