Review The all new REK Ember (mildly graphic content -hunting)

Just about everything brother :) The Ember has quickly become my go-to EDC. So much so, that I had to put it away for a week just to let my folders see some action. It cuts incredibly well, feels superb & intuitive in my hand, and carries so easily that I don’t even notice it’s there, until I need it. Mine still gets pocket carried more than half the time it’s with me. It’s easily accessible, comfortable in all positions, and it doesn’t interfere at all with the sidearm that occasionally rides on my hip. It also does very well IWB, in almost any position, but I wouldn’t recommend appendix carry for anyone who’ll be sitting down frequently. Mine is getting used mostly for mundane edc tasks.. opening cases of water bottles & packages, freeing the kids’ new toys from that infernal packaging/tie wrap menagerie they use nowadays, cutting fishing line & paracord, and whittling a few sticks. Like you, I haven’t sharpened or stropped the edge yet, and it’s still shaving sharp. Mine doesn’t get put away wet as often as yours (insert joke), but I’m in a humid, coastal, swampy area, where the heat index has been in the triple digits every day for the last few weeks. Most of my workday is spent outside, and despite almost constant exposure to the steamy air and my stankin sweat, my Ember also shows no notable corrosion or staining. Absolutely love everything about this knife.

Glad to hear its getting use!! Thanks for the write-up, Brother. Appreciated! Keep safe!

So...here we go again.

As you know, this little Ember has been put through the paces. The amount of stuff it has cut is ridiculous...Envelopes, food, hose, pipe, hardboard trimming, plywood trimming, packages...without the Ember ever hitting a stone or strop.
Then, making a divider for a kitchen shelf for my wife, I needed a rag to you know, clean the melamine up a touch. I pulled out the Ember and had a fleeting thought...dang, should I hit the strop before cutting through the rag?

Naw...let see how sharp this is.

No problems, and then more plastic baggies right after with no snagging.

I must say, at this point, I’m very impressed.

Gonna have to throw it though some tougher applications.

Be well all!
25776F20-1292-4465-B55F-B5200CE82369.jpeg

Was up a 3:30am cause I couldn’t sleep...good time for fishing...yesterday I scraped some fungus off a piece of hardwood firewood and curled a bit of the edge on the ember, so this morning I hit it on the strop lightly. Straightened the edge and now its hair poppin sharp again...time to head for the water....the smallies are bitin’!
4EE6EB60-CD31-43D0-8548-B53B3F3D4C65.jpeg E9A9E5C8-8CF8-43F3-9A4D-D0778501622B.jpeg

Was up a 3:30am cause I couldn’t sleep...good time for fishing...yesterday I scraped some fungus off a piece of hardwood firewood and curled a bit of the edge on the ember, so this morning I hit it on the strop lightly. Straightened the edge and now its hair poppin sharp again...time to head for the water....the smallies are bitin’!
View attachment 1413972 View attachment 1413974
Sweeeet :D is that on your property?

Sweeeet :D is that on your property?

I wish!! Although there is water on my property, its no good for fishing. Just for bringing ducks to the table.
That was a river not too far away. :) I live in the land of a million lakes and rivers. :)

Very nice looking knife! What is that handle made of? (Sort of looks like grass, lol.)

It is Coconut Fibre Micarta. :) Years ago Josh said “hey, i got this new micarta, wanna check it out?” So he used the coconut fibre micarta on some custom scales on a T.Burger front flipper for me. Turned out awesome and have been hooked on it ever since. Good grip when wet...and looks so natural. :)
Im not sure if Josh has spots left, but there are more Embers dropping late this year/early next if I’m not mistaken.

Well...I managed to do it...I was installing lights on my little tin boat, and chipped out the edge on my Ember trying to pry some light gauge brass connections apart. :/ Shoulda known better...
C43F7D26-DC33-4529-9C96-2D3B88DEE3FD.jpeg
but now that the lights are installed, early morning fishing and late night fishing are a go!! :D
9A6CF720-0B93-4EB5-9E1F-18CAA1E17918.jpeg
2C60C21E-7255-432B-8304-7256B748453F.jpeg
I also cut some zipties and some duct foil tape all with zero damage to the edge. :D505E94A2-8AE7-462A-A71C-94FFD0CCF2EB.jpeg

Update!! :D

Two things are for certain...

1. I get so involved in my work that I forget to take photos of the Ember in use!!
2. The Ember is now officially a staple every day carry...literally EVERY day. Work pants...on goes the Ember...bush pants...on goes the Ember...around the house pants...on goes the Ember. Haha.

I am still carrying inverted and have found this the most comfortable way to carry.
The Ember is amazing and has really caught me by surprise. Today it trimmed branches, opened packages, cut tape, and marking tape on the trail.
The past couple weeks it has sharpened pencils, cleaned up plunge cuts, scrapped junk off wood, and other random tasks at work.
Other than the first time I sharpened the microchips out that I created while prying brass, I havent had to sharpen. Once on the strop after resharpen, and good to go. It is still scary sharp. It really is a good edc small fixed blade. I am extremely impressed. Dang man, what a blade, Josh.
For those of you who don’t have one...you’re missing out. Find one, get on a list, snag that baby and never let it go. Haha.
449CE334-3C4E-4DA8-B721-4BC2EC6A3C8C.jpeg
1556084D-04EE-44EE-BE97-8A4DECBCFAE3.jpeg B06FB828-DE56-4C4F-A181-5692BE653B37.jpeg 2F022773-D67E-4EB5-87FD-79EDD5D90E4B.jpeg
Have a great weekend all, and keep ‘em sharp!

Here we go again...

I swear I’m not a pusher...haha.
But I remembered to take some photos...
E4BCE915-B8D2-4AE3-8653-C329BB403AD5.jpeg
I use the Ember a lot at work...cleanin out some post cutouts on a deck...and lots of random other tasks. No prying tho.
997BA04A-ABDD-48CA-A405-E1AC57C93A50.jpeg
Took the Ember and the DEK1 out on a grouse hunt today...thought this was a pretty cool work of nature...
1B4191AC-B2F3-4074-A814-9F1228FB3AD1.jpeg
And success!! Was a fun day today, and the Ember was up for all the tasks...gonna hit the strop shortly, as the Ember has finally lost its “hair popping” sharpness.

Hope everyone’s weekend is treating them well.

Keep ‘em Sharp!

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
Back