The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist

Hey Nathan, apologies in advance for using the dreaded @ feature (I'm not a huge fan of this), but I have an important and timely Q:

Do the same self-claim & proxy bids rules which you clarified for the sales threads also apply to preorders now? One post per claimant irrespective of the number of units on one's wish list and then another separate post for a proxy bid?

TIA, Mat...

P.S. the reason I ask this is because your very first line in that thread states, "no multiple posts or chat..."

Last edited:

Hey Nathan, apologies in advance for using the dreaded @ feature (I'm not a huge fan of this), but I have an important and timely Q:

Do the same self-claim & proxy bids rules which you clarified for the sales threads also apply to preorders now? One post per claimant irrespective of the number of units on one's wish list and then another separate post for a proxy bid?

TIA, Mat...

P.S. the reason I ask this is because your very first line in that thread states, "no multiple posts or chat..."

I hadn't even thought of that, a proxy on a preorder. There really shouldn't be proxies on a pre-order. That's an order list and needs to be keep clean and simple. No need to inject an additional person into the mix, it'll complicate things for Jo beyond what is really necessary. If a person wants something on the list they should simply get on the list. Simple. No big hurry, it will be open for days. :thumbsup:

Nathan, whos idea was it to change the EDC design? Lorien or yourself?

What benefit does the new design have over the previous?

Thanks!

Nathan, whos idea was it to change the EDC design? Lorien or yourself?

What benefit does the new design have over the previous?

Thanks!

I frequently make tweaks to the patterns over their life. Almost always actually. This is the third run of the EDC and the third set of tweaks. The first tweaks changed the primary grind angles and actually required some new fixturing.

After making some and using it a while I see opportunities for little adjustments I want to make. I discussed them with Lorien beforehand and got his input.

What benefits? I prefer a blade to have the belly towards the front, it works better with the way I cut with a knife, so I Nathanized the blade a little pushing the belly forward and raising the point a little. Continuing the edge up higher like that gives more edge length without really changing the size of the package and I prefer the blade shape. The thinner scales are in response to requests that I agree with, making it a little easier to carry as an EDC. I'm not changing the edge or grind geometry so the cutting characteristics are basically the same but there was room to widen the spine a little by raising the grind a hair. The additional meat in the thickness in the tang means they tang could be skeletonized a little more and have the same strength so the only additional weight is a small area around the ricasso and spine that is a small fraction of an ounce. It's a little sturdier, will cut and carry the same, the blade geometry is more in line with my preferences and it will carry a little flatter. The old design was a very good design and I'm not sure these changes really make it a better knife, they're very minor, but I think it does a little and I like the tweaks.

Last edited:
.... I prefer a blade to have the belly towards the front, it works better with the way I cut with a knife, so I Nathanized the blade a little pushing the belly forward and raising the point a little. Continuing the edge up higher like that gives more edge length without really changing the size of the package and I prefer the blade shape. The thinner scales are in response to requests that I agree with, making it a little easier to carry as an EDC.

I think those are great adjustments. The subtle changes to belly position are neat. It will be fun to compare those changes in use.

I'm a fan of the slightly pointer and raised tip. The slightly wider spine and thinner scales will require getting it next to an EDC1 for me to really know, but all signs point to.. YAAASSS!

I frequently make tweaks to the patterns over their life. Almost always actually. This is the third run of the EDC and the third set of tweaks. The first tweaks changed the primary grind angles and actually required some new fixturing.

After making some and using it a while I see opportunities for little adjustments I want to make. I discussed them with Lorien beforehand and got his input.

What benefits? I prefer a blade to have the belly towards the front, it works better with the way I cut with a knife, so I Nathanized the blade a little pushing the belly forward and raising the point a little. Continuing the edge up higher like that gives more edge length without really changing the size of the package and I prefer the blade shape. The thinner scales are in response to requests that I agree with, making it a little easier to carry as an EDC. I'm not changing the edge or grind geometry so the cutting characteristics are basically the same but there was room to widen the spine a little by raising the grind a hair. The additional meat in the thickness in the tang means they tang could be skeletonized a little more and have the same strength so the only additional weight is a small area around the ricasso and spine that is a small fraction of an ounce. It's a little sturdier, will cut and carry the same, the blade geometry is more in line with my preferences and it will carry a little flatter. The old design was a very good design and I'm not sure these changes really make it a better knife, they're very minor, but I think it does a little and I like the tweaks.
Thanks for writing that out. I was just curious what sparked the changes and now I know :) The design(s) are clearly very successful so well done :thumbsup:

I know a Behemoth Chopper pre-order is still theoretical, but i thought I recalled seeing a timeline showing a small batch (10) may be next in line for production.

My question to you is - would you consider adding a swedge (like on the Grey Zombie) and even the tumbled acid wash finish on the BC? Possibly make that an option or poll before making any definitive 'For Sale / Pre-Sale' threads.

I still need a BC in my life...and after seeing the drool-worthy pics of the Grey Zombie Turds floating around (no pun intended) - I can't get that swedge out of my head....and that finish is just awesome. I love the more muted/matte aesthetic.

Either way, keep doin' your thang and I will keep wishful thinking over here! :)

I know a Behemoth Chopper pre-order is still theoretical, but i thought I recalled seeing a timeline showing a small batch (10) may be next in line for production.

My question to you is - would you consider adding a swedge (like on the Grey Zombie) and even the tumbled acid wash finish on the BC? Possibly make that an option or poll before making any definitive 'For Sale / Pre-Sale' threads.

I still need a BC in my life...and after seeing the drool-worthy pics of the Grey Zombie Turds floating around (no pun intended) - I can't get that swedge out of my head....and that finish is just awesome. I love the more muted/matte aesthetic.

Either way, keep doin' your thang and I will keep wishful thinking over here! :)

You know, that's a good idea...

Nathan, can you please elaborate as to exactly why you decided to put a wedge on the Zombie-LC and also share with us your pro / cons regarding the implementation of a sledge on your patterns starting from the FK and the as they go up in sizes. Thank you :)

Back