The "Ask Nathan a question" thread

Can we please have a peek at some wood(s?) and the antique ebonite scales selected for the Shiv 2.0 pattern, when they get ready? Thank you.

ETA: I know that this is technically Jo's department but wondering what you have chosen and at what stage you're at with those?

I am assuming that the member who posted above Blues (the blue circle one!) is for real. That said, I knew that I had a picture of what he's talking about somewhere. In the process of deleting some photos to vacate attachment space for my intended future new photos, I came across this which is what was being referred to.

As for ANAQ: do you think that a Keffeler custom K18 and also a CPK-Keffeler K18 made their way to PRC?

1713332512427.png

I am assuming that the member who posted above Blues (the blue circle one!) is for real. That said, I knew that I had a picture of what he's talking about somewhere. In the process of deleting some photos to vacate attachment space for my intended future new photos, I came across this which is what was being referred to.

As for ANAQ: do you think that a Keffeler custom K18 and also a CPK-Keffeler K18 made their way to PRC?

View attachment 2552665

A businessman friend of mine told me that there are 100 k18 swords of cpk, 50 of which are in China, and I have one in my hand

A businessman friend of mine told me that there are 100 k18 swords of cpk, 50 of which are in China, and I have one in my hand

I don't discuss the specifics of my business on a public forum however I can confirm that the total production of the K18 sword was small and that a Chinese customer ordered a relatively large number of them during the pre-order. With only a few exceptions, the sword was available almost exclusively by pre-order.

For us, the K-18 is a retired pattern. We will not be producing more of them. However, Keffeler may continue to make them, I don't know. It is his design, and our production of it was a collaboration between his design and our manufacturing. Both utilize Delta 3V steel.

There are some differences in the sword that we make and the sword that Dan makes. They are, fundamentally, the same sword but there are some important differences in some of the details.

We pursued the production of the sword with Dan to have a competition cutting sword. This idea was sparked by a TV show where a number of our knives were being utilized. Dan was, and is, a world-renowned competitive Blade sports competitor with more national and world championship titles than anyone. I believe this is the most advanced competition cutting sword ever produced.

The difference between a knife and a sword is in the kinetics. Swords do not just merely cut, they cut with an impact element.

The sword, as I produced it, is a little bit thicker, a little bit heavier and it incorporates a reinforced point and a weighted pommel. These details give it a higher moment of inertia and help it perform well in a cutting competition against difficult and unyielding targets such as wood. It is capable of cutting a 2x4 framing lumber in a single hit.

Dan's K18 is thinner and lighter and more maneuverable and is built more like a weapon than a competition cutting sword. Obviously it works well in both applications however mine is tuned more towards the cutting competition aspect of the design (and has a little bit more durability baked in to reduce damage when used in competitions) and his is tuned to be a faster livelier weapon, which is a benefit against non-stationary targets. Particularly in the hands of a highly skilled cutter who is capable of running thiner geometry without damage. However, these details are relatively small tuning choices applied to basically the same platform. It is not a night and day difference and it is a reflection of differences in our manufacturing approach and the intended use of basically the same blade.

Hey Nathan,

Any approximation of what the tensile strength is on the SDFK? I think I read you mentioning once that the Fireman's knife was ~11,000 Lbs, or something, so I was curious if you had a number for it as well. 🤙

Hi Nathan, any idea when you might offer the Fireman’s Knife/Tool for purchase?

Also, I know they Basic 5 is the current hotness, does that mean that the FK3 is on the back burner or likely a 2025 thing?

Thanks abunch.

Hi Nathan, any idea when you might offer the Fireman’s Knife/Tool for purchase?

Also, I know they Basic 5 is the current hotness, does that mean that the FK3 is on the back burner or likely a 2025 thing?

Thanks abunch.

I think Jo has one on our website

The FK3 is on the machining centers right now.

Back