The Bears' Den--Shirogorov Showcase

ChazzyP

Platinum Member
I'd been ogling Shirogorov knives for some time and had been PMing about them with a few members here, soliciting opinions and guidance before taking the plunge early this past summer. One who was particularly cordial and helpful offered me the knife pictured below and it became my first Shiro. The second followed closely on that one's heels and a third showed up at my PO just earlier this week. Needless to say, I totally love these knives and there's lots to say about them, but all I'll mention for now is they share the seemingly contradictory qualities of being both over-priced and completely worth it.

Anyway, I've searched back a ways and haven't found a Show Us Your Shiros thread, so please do just that as well as sharing your thoughts and comments on these fantastic knives.

Edit: It's a wonder this thread ever got off the ground with that crappy picture I had up here to start. Let's try this one of the Python slithering through some fungi....

K6KsNuI.jpg

...Yeah, that's better.

Last edited:
This pic is from quite a while back but I thought that the beer pairing was particularly appropriate.
4a72e699-248a-4c2c-a205-cd07f9ac29f4_zpsxna1nfhy.jpg

ef1dcecf-9702-4215-ac34-5bf5767ef8c7_zpspwh7lr38.jpg

By the way, I'm fiending for one of those new F95 models. Shoot me a PM or email if you know where to find one.

Last edited:
HAHA good point , I think I was sitting at train crossing that day

Here's another shot of the Python, taken at the job site. Any F3 I've seen with these scales has an OD Green backspacer--this one is drop-dead gorgeous ti. The knife has a great feel in hand--smooth, fast, light for its construction, wicked solid, with a fail-proof flip and an index finger flick to close. Definitely right up close to the top of my heap.

U8Kek74.jpg

Last edited:
Man, that SE Bear logo is very cool, knoefz. Really sweet Neon and I see Scrim has added some detail shots of his, too. Nice ones, guys!

I just looked on my computer and didn't find any good solo pics of my 111. I've posted these on a couple threads already, but will put 'em up here until I get some better shots. The 111 is everything I wanted when I bought it--a big-ass, beautiful Russian knife!

MeF5fcD.jpg

ZUNUWkz.jpg

Last edited:
My new Jeans. I remember the first time that I saw one. I think my comment at the time was who make that beauty.

Obviously a very appropriately posed pic, Mtneer. I'd be interested to hear your impressions of the knife as you get some more time with it.

At first blush, that Eastern, S-shaped style with the hooked handle and upswept blade was not something that checked any boxes for me. I've seen some CKFs and others similar that I just flat-out hated. When I first saw the Jeans I was somewhat surprisingly not put off, and looking at yours and, having spent more time checking the model out, the knife has some features that I favor and it's kinda growing on me.

I've always liked knives that present the cutting edge to the work and allow the hand to be out of the way without an exaggerated wrist-cock. The arc of the Benchmade AFCK along with its generous belly comes to mind, but achieves it in a different manner. Nice belly on the Jeans and the upsweep is really very slight--the handle shape and belly make it look much greater than it actually is. As much as I love Shiros, there's kind of a sameness to their blade shapes and the Jeans blade is certainly a departure.

I like the one-sided fuller on the Jeans and the way the jimping cuts through the spine there. When I got my 111, I had to have one with a fuller as it not only looks way cool, but is a great way to open such a damn big knife discretely without alarming innocent bystanders.

So, please do share your thoughts with us after you've had some experience with your new baby. You spent two Shiros to get one and it would be interesting to know if you thought that worthwhile.

Last edited:
Back