The best belt sanders for knife making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob, do you have a link to a foto of that Bee grinder?
Edited to add: I went to your webstore and found it. Now I'll be able to point people there to look at it.

I never saw a Bee grinder either, only heard about it.
Would be nice to see the pic of one.

Henrik

this is brilliant....

I have and like the BIII. One advantage is that it's main mounting (for a table) is the mount on the motor. The machine itself mounts to the motor's C-face flange. I find it eloquent--plus I don't like belts and pulleys which this eliminates.

Here is a picture of my set up as it sits today. The grinder is mounted on an 'angle plate' which means the whole thing can tilt 90-degrees to the left.

This is good because it allows you to run your belt horizontally. You can set up tool arms for convenient small-wheel profile Grinding as shown, or do other neat things, etc.
This means I don't need a separate machine for those operations.

You'll have a harder time tilting a KMG, as nice as that machine is.

this is brilliant....

Some of these sorts of things work out better than others. This is one that works really well.

If you make a tilting table for your grinder, make it good and stiff. I build the hinge with heavy "DOM" tubing (about 3/8-1/2-inch wall dimensionally-correct seamless tubing) cut into three sections. (I cut one section longer. The two shorter pieces should, combined, be the length of the one longer piece.)
Find a piece of CR (linear shaft is better if you have it) that fits nicely into the tube (1/2-inch dia. or better). Put the three segments onto the shaft (the longer one in the middle and the two shorter pieces on the ends.) Weld the two shorter end pieces of tube to the shaft.
Use an appropriately-sized piece of HR (1/4 or 3/8 thick) for the motor-mount. Drill all holes first. Position the hinge assembly on the edge of this plate and weld the longer CENTER-tube section to the plate.

I then use 1/4-inch flatbar with width that equals the diameter of the tube in the hinge and weld it along the sides. I use a piece of solid, square material HR or CR, of the same height and weld it under the motor mounting plate opposite the hinge.
The whole thing should sit flat on a table. Then weld the two outer section of tube in your hinge to a table top made of 1/4-inch or so plate. It is my experience that you don't have to shim the hinge for clearance against the mounting plate or the table. It moves stiff at first, but loosens up after a few tilts and the fit is tight and slopless.
The 'stop' which prevents the table from rotating past 90-degrees is simply a piece of steel welded to the table that collides with the edge of the the motor-mounting plate (on the other side of the hinge in the picture.) Sounds confusing, but it's self-evident how to do it when you get there. I usually use a piece slightly oversized and grind the spot until the table comes in at 90-degrees when tilted.
On the one in the picture, I cut a hole in the table so the larger motor could clear when tilted. That's not always necessary.
Good luck.

Louis Vaillancourt, take look at www.GrizzlyTools.com
they have a very good machine for grinding blades and not too big of a deal to make modifications to it. <$> $375
kmg is killer . you should go to youtube and search kmg. awesome machine.
you can see the machine in action.:eek: :cool:
buzz

fitzo, man i did'nt know this machine even existed.BEE50 BEE 2 x 72 Knife Makers Grinder this is what a knife grinder should look like.imo

on the other hand the grizzly is made of parts welded and a product of china,but $375 is cheap.
i can use an upgrade in the grinder meself, sooooo
i am going to give the BEE50 BEE 2 x 72 Knife Makers Grinder a close look.
thanks for the heads-up,
buzz

cas, i'm from Missouri so you must "show me ".:thumbup:
how bout some pictures. this would be very helpfull
i love this forum.
buzz:cool:

Well guys,I started about a week ago to make my self a Kmg repplica and i finished it .Now i only need to coat my 10 " weel whith eurethane and my small weels as well. It run's as smooth as i would have thought and i'm very proud of it. The best part is that it cost me about 1/3 the price. IIIIIIIHHHHAAAAA.if i can find a way to put pictures on this site i will show you my machine. For the adaptors i made my self metal tung and groove so i dont need to change the whole tool bare.Yep.

I have and like the BIII. One advantage is that it's main mounting (for a table) is the mount on the motor. The machine itself mounts to the motor's C-face flange. I find it eloquent--plus I don't like belts and pulleys which this eliminates.

Here is a picture of my set up as it sits today. The grinder is mounted on an 'angle plate' which means the whole thing can tilt 90-degrees to the left.

This is good because it allows you to run your belt horizontally. You can set up tool arms for convenient small-wheel profile Grinding as shown, or do other neat things, etc.
This means I don't need a separate machine for those operations.

You'll have a harder time tilting a KMG, as nice as that machine is.

What grinder is that?

This is an ancient thread by the way.

I believe you are asking about the Bader BIII that Mr. Caswell was referring to...

Interestingly, some of the recommendations in this 6 year old thread would probably still be made today. Says a lot about tried and true...

While a lot hasn't changed in seven years, other things have. There are grinders available today that did not exist when this thread was started.

I am closing the thread. Any search on " Best Grinder" "What Grinder Should I Get", etc. will get more hits than you could read in a week.
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=011197018607028182644:qfobr3dlcra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back