Recommendation? The BK62 - thoughts after some time?

Howdy all

Hoping to solicit some opinions on the BK62 now that a little time has passed. To those of you who have used one for a while now, what are your thoughts? Have any initial positives turned to negatives as time went on, or vice versa?

Long story short, I'm in the market for a slicey companion blade, and the 62 fits the bill. I've never been a big fan of Kephart style blades, but the 62 speaks to me somehow. I appreciate the fine details to it, i.e. the crowned spine, tapered tang, stone wash, etc.

I've really been enjoying the heck out of mine. Nice weight, and balance to it. The flattish scales orient in the hand very well. Feather sticks like a demon. I talk about the 62 some in these threads:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/using-the-bk62-11th-anniversary-stint.1637296/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/november-vacation-photo-heavy.1694396/

Have to dig through the photos to find them.

You won't be disappointed if you get one. Besides using my BK9 for wood processing at my cabin, I've been using the 62 dang near exclusively to learn from it. I have yet to be disappointed in it's capabilities.

I haven't shook mine out yet, Anytime I take 3 or 4 midsized knives out to party, the 62 never makes the cut. I think I'll have to just commit to using only the 62 for a certain period of time, but I don't want to, so who knows.

Simple, understated form. Thin handle slabs, but somehow doesn’t take anything away from the functionality. Actually, made me take the liners off my BK16, and made me appreciate thinner handles more. Feathers awesome; carves great; handles camp chores like a pro. Will need something else to process wood; compared to even the 16 it’s just too thin to baton thru anything reliably. Everything you’ve mentioned, the spine, the tang, etc, adds to the functionality of the knife. Sometimes I think I might prefer a 4” model; but I really have no trouble handling the 5” blade. Might just be because all my other belt knives are in the 4” range. All in all, super impressed by it; one of my fave woods-bumming tools.

Untitled

I was pleasantly surprised at how good it feels in my hand ... I thought maybe the thinner handle would leave me wishing for a bit more, but it is a joy to use ... even for an extended period.

As others already mentioned it is great for making a feather stick and is light and nimble enough to do detailed work even at 5 inches.
2018-11-20 16.47.25.jpg

I think it's a jewel ... very versatile. It definately lets you know why it's such a loved pattern ... the history with this specific version is great too.

I'm probably the one who initially "stirred the pot" the Most with this knife... Many good posts, by many of us, if you search them out.... I even got Ethan to chime In a few times.... I really appreciated that. :)

I could give you my grievances (they were few, and mostly fixed by my mods.) but I don't think that will be necessary....

Seems like part of the attraction with Beckers is modifying them to our own personal liking...hahha Most get "tweaked"

I use Mine a lot.... I put it through it's paces.... Pounded it through 5-6" hardwood logs minutes after opening the package...Just because....
I modified mine..... Bought two, Very early on.... Gave one to my daughter as Her first knife....
Even went to the emergency room over how Sharp and Slicey it IS.... haha so Yeah, mine cost close to 2 thousand dollars....

Pretty sure I'd do it ALL over again...… That's the best I can do as a recommendation.

Love mine. Great value. Shows how a well thought out practical design stands the test of time.

I did go to a Kydex sheath, my preference. The wood slabs are different shades of staining but you can't look at them both at the same time. :)

Feels good, looks good, works great, inexpensive.

I’ll buck the trend here and say that the blade length isn’t for me. If it was a 4” or 4 1/4” blade I’d love it. I do like the handle and the overall design though and the steel comes in just behind my favorite O1 for knives. I have thought about getting the scales pinned with brass pins and having the blade length ground down at least half an inch and giving it another try.

Back