The BRK Native

mitchnola

Platinum Member
I’m quite the fan of the little native and after seeing the original blade designs on the early versions of the native 1-3. I decided I had to have one of each version. I missed out on 2 older versions recently so when one popped up on the exchange I jumped on it immediately.

I then started doing research on it and it is a brk native which looks to have a lot of use so I’m assuming the brk first generation is just worn off the blade but it is 440a steel and has the smller 8 slots of jimping.

Everything I’ve read is from about 20 years ago on them so my question is are they still frowned upon by collectors and how rare and valuable are they these days. This one is a serrated version.

Regardless I’m happy with the purchase because I love the blade and I find the story behind it is cool. Just wondering how it’s currently viewed amongst collectors. Thanks for any info provided.

I don’t know what you mean “frowned upon”. The knives had problems. I believe they were sold off at a steep discount and Spyderco stopped doing business with the manufacturer. They are collectible only to syderholics or Native Knuts; the few I’ve seen don’t match Japan or Golden made knives. At the time, 440A was a cutlery steel used by many, e.g., schrade, camillus, etc.

I don’t know what you mean “frowned upon”. The knives had problems. I believe they were sold off at a steep discount and Spyderco stopped doing business with the manufacturer. They are collectible only to syderholics or Native Knuts; the few I’ve seen don’t match Japan or Golden made knives. At the time, 440A was a cutlery steel used by many, e.g., schrade, camillus, etc.
More info can be found here: http://paulberetta.com/spy101_the_brk_native.htm

I used to have one that I got on Ebay for $12.00. Funny, now though, sellers on Ebay are running around trying to sell these "RARE!! 1st Generation Natives" as if they are high dollar collector items. :oops:

The one I got is a heavy user with no clip. Lot of character. To this day, I think the early native blades are one the baddest looking blades ever.

Back