The "Brownie Pop" works....

The Mods don't have a problem with it being discussed. The only problem was when another posted the information publicly I sent out privately, per their request for the information, knowing I did not want it posted publicly. Hence the reason you do not see the narrative I send to others posted openly here on the forum.

That situation lead to issues which were eventually resolved and we moved on. The Mods would naturally be concerned that on another go round on this topic, it might produce the same results.

So far on this go round, everyone has honored my request [ to not publish their private correspondennce with me about how this technique works ] and I appreciate everyone honoring my request.

In a nutshell, I am an ex LEO and do not wish this information to be publicly displayed on forums or the internet where half the world can learn it and possibly use it against an LEO brother somewhere.

That may not sound like it would happen but I am erring on the side of caution. It is something I developed long ago to satisfy my own needs for rapid deployment of folders, I'm willing to share it with anyone who cares to email me privately for it with the caveat it not be posted on forums or the internet if they receive the narrative and pics of the technique from me.

I appreciate everyones comments who have responded with their various successes with this. I am willing to share it if you email me privately, I only ask and expect my request to not disclose it in a general public venue be honored in return for the information.

There is never an issue with my sharing knowledge. I share experiences and ideas here with everyone enough for people to know who I am for the most part I believe.

Before I forget it again, I wanted to mention that I expect if you have the knowledge to share it with your firends. Just not openly on forums and the internet.

If others are interested in this, please email me at

bladesrus@comcast.net

Joe: If you need the narrative again, give me a shout. Glad the pics helped out. I found that I had to get some shots of the sequence as some people were naturally having a difficult time in understanding the narrative.

Edited to add: Hotmail accounts have sent the information back to me about 70% of the time. If you have another account, email me from there to save issues with hotmail.

Stay sharp out there.

Brownie

Brownie, I would like to get info on your 'POP' method as well, my email is below.

Thanks in advance!

-EDIT- just shot you an email.

Originally posted by dayuhan13
I tried the "B-Pop" on some of my folders with mixed results. My MOD Hornet and Tempest were impossible. My CRKT Model 7 and MT SOCOMs were the easiest. Sub 3.5" blades proved the most difficult. "B-Popping" tip up carry blades seemed most fluid and natural. IMO blade weight, ball detents, lock design, and clip placement were the biggest factors and dictated the ease or difficulty when applying the technique.

Dayuhan

Tried it on two blades so far:
After trying it for a minute, I found I can use this to open my Dodo VERY quickly. I need more practice to do it right every time, though.

I can't even make the blade budge on my "assisted" SOG Blink. I think between the spring pressure and the light blade, it may very well be impossible on the Blink.

When my ATR finally arrives, I'll try that, too.:D
Thanks, Brownie.

This is pretty neat. I kept reading the instructions to see if I was missing something and then just tried it and worked the first time! Still practicing to get consistent but boy is this fun! This is using my Gunting and GDrone. I'll have to try some other knives when I get a chance.

Thanks, Brownie!

Rob

Originally posted by donutsrule
When my ATR finally arrives, I'll try that, too.

Donutsrule,

With the ATR, assuming you're assuming that the spine of the blade is facing down, it works better when your fingers are below the pocket clip and closer to the where the blade is as opposed to being closer to the integral compression lock.

Though it will often lock up more quietly with a Brownie pop than by using the thumb hole or cobra hood, be prepared to feel guilt for mishandling your prescious. I know I did.

It's fast, but my elbow is starting to hate me ;)

I like it, it's not what I thought it was at first glance(many things aren't) but I think understand the thinking behind it after practicing it a bit.

One thing for sure, it's less likely to get trapped/jammed than some of the quick-draws I've practiced before.

Thanks Brownie!

Thanks for the email Brownie. The 'Brownie Pop' works great. I tried it with my BM943 and was surprised to see it work the very first time. Very cool technique. :)

I'm sorry to say that I have yet to see a clear enough explanation of the "Brownie Pop" to get it to work. I'm sure that at least some of my knives should be appropriate for it. I have a Military, a Dark Star, a Vesuvius, an AFCK linerlock...

Not for lack of trying on Brownie's part. A while back, he sent me the email with textual description of the technique. Then not long ago, he sent me the .bmp files of pics of it being done... BUT...

The pics don't make anything clear to me. It turns out I was properly envisioning the action of taking the knife out of the pocket, but FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I CAN'T SEE WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE FOLDER OPEN!!!

The pictures 1-6 simply do not show what's supposedly happening. Pic 1 is simply the knife in the pocket. 2-3 show the knife being grabbed and removed. Between 4 and 5, there is no indication of what, exactly, caused the blade to now be at 90 degrees to the handle, pointing at the ground.

Anyone else utterly stuck on this one? What am I missing?

---Jeffrey

There you go superchunk. Always read threads the whole way therough, you might miss something important.:cool:

Dayuhan
Originally posted by brownie0486
The Mods don't have a problem with it being discussed. The only problem was when another posted the information publicly I sent out privately, per their request for the information, knowing I did not want it posted publicly. Hence the reason you do not see the narrative I send to others posted openly here on the forum.

That situation lead to issues which were eventually resolved and we moved on. The Mods would naturally be concerned that on another go round on this topic, it might produce the same results.

So far on this go round, everyone has honored my request [ to not publish their private correspondennce with me about how this technique works ] and I appreciate everyone honoring my request.

In a nutshell, I am an ex LEO and do not wish this information to be publicly displayed on forums or the internet where half the world can learn it and possibly use it against an LEO brother somewhere.

That may not sound like it would happen but I am erring on the side of caution. It is something I developed long ago to satisfy my own needs for rapid deployment of folders, I'm willing to share it with anyone who cares to email me privately for it with the caveat it not be posted on forums or the internet if they receive the narrative and pics of the technique from me.

I appreciate everyones comments who have responded with their various successes with this. I am willing to share it if you email me privately, I only ask and expect my request to not disclose it in a general public venue be honored in return for the information.

There is never an issue with my sharing knowledge. I share experiences and ideas here with everyone enough for people to know who I am for the most part I believe.

Before I forget it again, I wanted to mention that I expect if you have the knowledge to share it with your firends. Just not openly on forums and the internet.

If others are interested in this, please email me at

bladesrus@comcast.net

Joe: If you need the narrative again, give me a shout. Glad the pics helped out. I found that I had to get some shots of the sequence as some people were naturally having a difficult time in understanding the narrative.

Edited to add: Hotmail accounts have sent the information back to me about 70% of the time. If you have another account, email me from there to save issues with hotmail.

Stay sharp out there.

Brownie

Sorry, Superchunk. No matter how good your reputation is on the Forum, Brownie asks that those of us "in the know" not pass the technique on in the any forums (fora?). Your best bet is to email him directly at the address listed in his post above, and get the trick straight from the source.

[Dayuhan slipped that one in -- sorry for the duplication.]

Originally posted by peacefuljeffrey
I'm sorry to say that I have yet to see a clear enough explanation of the "Brownie Pop" to get it to work. I'm sure that at least some of my knives should be appropriate for it. I have a Military, a Dark Star, a Vesuvius, an AFCK linerlock...

Not for lack of trying on Brownie's part. A while back, he sent me the email with textual description of the technique. Then not long ago, he sent me the .bmp files of pics of it being done... BUT...

The pics don't make anything clear to me. It turns out I was properly envisioning the action of taking the knife out of the pocket, but FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I CAN'T SEE WHAT'S SUPPOSED TO MAKE THE FOLDER OPEN!!!

The pictures 1-6 simply do not show what's supposedly happening. Pic 1 is simply the knife in the pocket. 2-3 show the knife being grabbed and removed. Between 4 and 5, there is no indication of what, exactly, caused the blade to now be at 90 degrees to the handle, pointing at the ground.

Anyone else utterly stuck on this one? What am I missing?

---Jeffrey

Jeffrey, I still can't quite get it either. I just resigned to it and decided I'd just use the plain ole thumbhole on my Millie. The pics didn't do much for me either; let me know (w/ Brownies permission)if you get it figured.

Jeffrey- I don't understand either. I have all the instructions and pictures but I just don't get it.

Don

Just an update for Brownie.....

The technique is working great for me.... I've found that on lighter weight knives like Spydie Natives and Calypsos that I can do it but it requires more "pop" for me to get it to work.

My Large Spydies (Police, Military and Ayoob) work great.

It works with great ease on my axis locks and my SERE 2000.

Can't get enough of it..... Knifesturbation at its best! Need a smoke after each session.

So many knives....

Thanks again,

Thomas

I can do it with a few knives, but not with most. It's all about physics and a heavy blade-to-handle ratio, I think. Check out Wade's post about why the 710 is his EDC.

I'm getting into it. The technique definitely works, but it does seem to require both A.) that you 'get' it, and B.) a certain amount of practice to shake the move into your muscle memory.

I'm going to stop before I yield to the urge to discuss specifics.

It is working with my BM 551, 730, and 940, all easy as pie, and beginning to work with my 530 (very light blade) and 750 (very stiff drag from the framelock detent. No dice (yet?) on my BM 856 and 835, and I'm guessing it will never work on my Neeley Lock Timberlines. (Scratch "guessing." :) )

Hmmm, knife drawer...

OK, these are quickie, "does my half-developed Brownie pop work" tests of the following;

Benchmade 350, no.

BM Panthers, both yes.

CRKT: Ryan 7, yes. Apache, yes. Seahawk, yes. Large Mirage, yes. Small Mirage, no.

Outdoor Edge D. Ralph Impulse, oh, yeah, baby!, it just floats into it.

Spyderco Endura, yes, a little iffy though. (But it's been reground to full height flat and a distal taper, so the blade is very light.)

Kershaw 1420 Talon, yes.

SOG X-42, yes.

Cold Steel Scimitar, yes.

REKAT Pioneer II, not even a little. (Yes, it's stiff & gritty and never had the re-polish inside.)

Meyerco Bolt Action, yes.

OK, check to see what Sarah has slipped away with....

Kershaw 1424 King Cheetah (I'm told this is teh South African release of the Wild Wild Turkey - plastic thumbstud, otherwise the same) says yes.

Benchmade 720s, yes.

I don'y know if that will be useful to anyone or not.

Back