The Buckmaster 084. 420HC. G10 Scales. $800?!

The whole grappling anchor concept is so bizarre to me. I was a little kid when the original came out and I thought it was crazy then.

The original design was visually appealing, the new one is not.

I think the prices are high now because manufacturers are sick of flippers making more profit than they are. Some of us have shown we are willing to pay outrageous prices. So the manufacturers are charging outrageous prices. I kind of don’t mind because Id rather see Buck make the money than a flipper and Ebay doesn’t need any either.
I think that fat dagger style that was new in 1940 or earlier for SCUBA can be visually appealing for sure, but it wasn't what people were expecting unless they were insiders or Buck Fan Club people watching the entire evolution saga... I had not seen it till BUCK emailed me the marketing flyers. There will be more versions. Maybe the "drama" will get us one without a wing. Maybe something sharp on all edges about 7" of blade in coated M4 or similar... maybe not even a "Buckmaster" but some other line.

Simpler, sleeker, tougher, inexpensive (like a BUCK KNIFE).

XKJ121Ah.jpg

The whole grappling anchor concept is so bizarre to me. I was a little kid when the original came out and I thought it was crazy then.

The original design was visually appealing, the new one is not.

I think the prices are high now because manufacturers are sick of flippers making more profit than they are. Some of us have shown we are willing to pay outrageous prices. So the manufacturers are charging outrageous prices. I kind of don’t mind because Id rather see Buck make the money than a flipper and Ebay doesn’t need any either.
I’ll consider it when it hits the $20 bin.

N2s

I'm really shocked at the cost of many new Custom knives.. both fixed and folders factory or individual makers. Is ANY knife 'worth' five six seven hundred bucks or even five times that? Especially if the materials used are not valuable like Ivory rare steels precious metals ect? I guess it depends some on age number made artist embellishment but in this case it's a modern manufacturered decent run size fairly ordinary design (nothing really ground breaking) but just..priced high.
Like ALL knives you might buy you vote with your wallet. I feel the same way about this one as I did about the 50th anniversary retro 112.. It's a cool knife but not THAT cool. So I won't buy it. I'm good with Buck putting it out there at that price and I'm sure there was a LOT of discussion about it at the high end Corporate level.. I really think Buck is trying to get back just a little of all the time effort and real money they put in to bringing this to market. And I would guess Buck is STILL losing money on each and every one.

Yes let me be clear. I have no problem with one of my favorite knife companies trying to make what they think the market will bare on this knife or any other new knife the bring to the table. The ole supply and demand recipe comes to mind. I certainly don’t live with the illusion that i can afford every new knife Buck or any one of a half dozen companies that make the knives i happily use and collect.
This thread has been a fun little debate that i’m sure will continue for some time if not only on this knife but future knives.

I'm really shocked at the cost of many new Custom knives.. both fixed and folders factory or individual makers. Is ANY knife 'worth' five six seven hundred bucks or even five times that? Especially if the materials used are not valuable like Ivory rare steels precious metals ect? I guess it depends some on age number made artist embellishment but in this case it's a modern manufacturered decent run size fairly ordinary design (nothing really ground breaking) but just..priced high.
Like ALL knives you might buy you vote with your wallet. I feel the same way about this one as I did about the 50th anniversary retro 112.. It's a cool knife but not THAT cool. So I won't buy it. I'm good with Buck putting it out there at that price and I'm sure there was a LOT of discussion about it at the high end Corporate level.. I really think Buck is trying to get back just a little of all the time effort and real money they put in to bringing this to market. And I would guess Buck is STILL losing money on each and every one.
I don’t spend more than $100.00 on any knife. And I don’t think Buck will ever loose money on any knife!! 🤔
John 😁

Sounds like a great business plan. I doubt it.
could be true, as they may have invested a lot of money and time into it and it's a case now of recoup as much as they can, but still won't be profitable.

course I have no idear. just saying it is possible .......

could be true, as they may have invested a lot of money and time into it and it's a case now of recoup as much as they can, but still won't be profitable.

course I have no idear. just saying it is possible .......
Anything is possible, but losing money on an $800 production knife is pretty silly. Lots of companies have the $1.50 Costco Hotdog to build the brand or whatever. That $800 scuba knife with a wing is obviously not a typical loss leader and no one is gonna convince me it is just SO COMPLEX! The problem with companies like BUCK and BENCHMADE is... it might be COMPLEX and take lots of expensive engineering FOR THEM, but not for KAI or similar. They may have to maybe sell some BUCK 112's for $340 to recoup some as well ;)

Maybe my small BUCK collection is complete this year. More for all the die hards :) I picked up a couple of the stacked leather Brahma 119's and a stag handle this year and may find a 117 and a 184 first. That 084 is not a gamechanger to me, but I have been wrong before :) You never know... maybe next year I will be anchoring my dry bag to a coral reef with my $2500 084 wishing I woulda got in at $800. Stranger things have happened the past 10 years.

It's 100% a niche knife meant for combat divers so them charging that much isn't a crazy concept, it's meant for something 90% of the people buying it aren't doing with it.......well probably anyway.

It's 100% a niche knife meant for combat divers so them charging that much isn't a crazy concept, it's meant for something 90% of the people buying it aren't doing with it.......well probably anyway.
What combat divers?

Anything is possible, but losing money on an $800 production knife is pretty silly. Lots of companies have the $1.50 Costco Hotdog to build the brand or whatever. That $800 scuba knife with a wing is obviously not a typical loss leader and no one is gonna convince me it is just SO COMPLEX! The problem with companies like BUCK and BENCHMADE is... it might be COMPLEX and take lots of expensive engineering FOR THEM, but not for KAI or similar. They may have to maybe sell some BUCK 112's for $340 to recoup some as well ;)

Maybe my small BUCK collection is complete this year. More for all the die hards :) I picked up a couple of the stacked leather Brahma 119's and a stag handle this year and may find a 117 and a 184 first. That 084 is not a gamechanger to me, but I have been wrong before :) You never know... maybe next year I will be anchoring my dry bag to a coral reef with my $2500 084 wishing I woulda got in at $800. Stranger things have happened the past 10 years.
yeah.......

Buck and Rich and the retired Seal commander have been playing with this for years now. I got no idear how much engineering time, design time, changes, samples, testing, tooling setups and changes and on and on went into this. the line and tooling they used for it not making a money maker model drags on the bottom line also. could be a lot of time, effort and capacity and that translates to money. I'm not gonna speculate if they make a fortune or lose their butt on it. there is not any way for me to know. it's a private company and their Financials aren't public.

I'm just saying it's possible this run doesn't make them any money is all......

Well how much did the retired Navy guys get paid?

I would assume it would be a totally rad photo op for a civilian to take one diving. It won't happen without Instagram posts. I bet low drag types would be just as happy with a Cressi or Scuba Pro or whatever and no one is gonna know.

If someone wants to send me to Hawaii for a quick weekend trip with their knife, I will take as many pictures as they want. I also promise to post the pictures here for all to enjoy.

Back