The burden of being the second poster....and other stuff

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Ever notice how when someone posts a thread that has two sides to the story....the first person to reply to it "sets the tone" for the thread? (regardless which side they choose)

Also, does it seem like we do an awful lot of "validating" in other people's threads? Does that make us enablers?

Or, we might post a disagreement and then that side gets "overly validated"....?

Just thinking out loud...waxing philosophical......nothing (and nobody) particular in mind.

(who will be the second poster in this thread?)

We're being crushed by convention, eh? Fortunately, less here than elsewhere.
An offbeat thread choice for you Dan. I like it.

munk

Also, does it seem like we do an awful lot of "validating" in other people's threads? Does that make us enablers?
:confused: I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain this?

munk said:
We're being crushed by convention, eh? Fortunately, less here than elsewhere.
An offbeat thread choice for you Dan. I like it.

munk

Munk: You're the second poster. You're supposed to attack him for his opinion, come on, thats the way these internet flame wars get started. GEEZE! ;)

Whew! Since Munk took on the burden of being the second poster ... I can just speak my mind.:D

Probably some groupthink is going on (does a khuk REALLY chop more efficiently than a good ax? Physics would probably say no ... but I like big, useful knives). But there's also a fair bit of dissent - even about convex edges(!).

I think that much of the "me too" or "validation" posting is more about participating in the community life, than about trying to progress linearly towards a solution to a problem. We've got a bunch of good folks 'round here, and we want to be seen to be supporting that atmosphere.

If I'm wrong, please tell me I'm full of sh%#. Dissent's good too - as Munk mentioned above.

t.

What I think is really funny....about this thread....is that if Rusty were alive....to see....Dan Koster.....ask an introspective question; choke, sob: and they said it couldn't be done!

Dan, I am JUST kidding.

munk

Daniel Koster said:
Ever notice how when someone posts a thread that has two sides to the story....the first person to reply to it "sets the tone" for the thread? (regardless which side they choose)

When I'm the first one to reply to a topic, I usually try to change the subject. :D :foot:

MauiRob said:
:confused: I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain this?

1st post: I just killed grandma with a ball peen.

2nd post: Good choice. Wood or synthetic handle?

3rd post: I used to use a claw hammer in the special ops. You should get a claw hammer.

No claw hammers...they don't give adequate penetration. Ball peen...16 ounce range.

Dan - I have to agree with you...it was time to in the thread.

I disagree that we all agree though I do agree that we should disagree. But I disagree that ageing to disagree is correct however I would agree that you can disagree but I disagree that you should only agree with disagreeing if we all agree…agreed? hey are you going to pass that around?

I think I get the second post thing..sort of.

but I don't understand the "validating, enabling" stuff at all:confused:

Isn't this the forum for OT stuff? Kinda sounds like we're now limiting HOW we post OT?

I think by not naming names Dan you are kind of making it hard for us (or at least me) to understand what you mean.

And as someone else said if I'm full of Sh*T then set me straight. God knows I'm wrong more than I'm right.

Just agree with him and tell him how much you like his posts.

:thumbup: :D Bruise I think you'd be a good guy to have around when a fight breaks out.

Damn I just enabled YOU:mad: ;) :p :D

Nasty said:
No claw hammers...they don't give adequate penetration. Ball peen...16 ounce range.

Dan - I have to agree with you...it was time to in the thread.

Well, the fellow that was crew on a cargo jet used a ball peen but the rest of the crew was able to fend him off and survived, not without injuries though.

My personal choice? Rip hammer, assuming that a plasterer's hammer is excluded for being a hatchet.

A good ball peen hammer is the tool of the artist.

Plebians can use any sort they choose...even plasterer's "hammers".

You A$$HOLES dont know what the F$%K you are talking about!!!

I was in WW2 and WW3 in a special ops unit called BE-BOP.

(British Expeditionary force ..something something something...)

We were all issed gavels.
The Mark 2 combative tactical gavel. (CTG)

IT was better than a mchine gun at close range.

I seem to remember hearing something about them gavels Danny, didn't Colonel Applegate come up with the design for 'em? :rolleyes: :D

Sarge

Back