The Bushcraft Series -Any Love??

Contrats on the new knives!

The Woodsman was made by people who knew the more subtle things that people would want in such a knife making it a great multi tool of a blade. Which it was intended to be I believe to be an all round Woodsman's Multi-Tool.

The nice sized choil lets one get up close for the FFG to do its slicey things, the 90 degree spine for shaving for ferro rod striking or scraping pitch off your limbs (warning it will shave a bit also and some skin), and other things and such I probably can't think of.

All this multi-tooling capability aside, the Woodsman to me seems its a Knife that can Chop. I mean its good in short heavy machete duties but the blade seems to want to slice and cut more than chop. But that is the GOOD thing about the Woodsman, it can do more tasks and be the multi-tool it is since it can slice and cut, and chop finer and better than a dedicated chopper say like an SP-51. The Woodsman looks like the SP-50 when it comes to woods processing, but of which both knives can do better I think than most other knives that can chop due to their 5160 steel and construction. A few can do better of course but few in the OKC price area. My other OKC Multi-tool large blade are my RD9s, if I don't forget them and have to grab that SP-10 again, they are not as slicy but then I don't use them to food prep with but they seem to be a bit better heavy wood working tools.

Some have issues with the handle, if your a user and not a wall hanger an athletic tape or tennis tape will fix that with a lanyard. Just don't leave the knife sitting near the kitchen when dinner is being prepped, or it will be drafted in to duty and your family will be asking if you brought the knife that slices and dices and cleaves busts up frozen foods so well!

Your spot on in reference to the kitchen knife...my daughter picked it up today and said she liked my new chefs knife!

I also agree that some hockey tape or something similar will be necessary to prolong the life of the scales.

I have a lot of respect for OKC and the knives they produce. I have been using Old Hickory knives for over 25 years with great results! Im looking forward to using this and seeing how I like 5160 vs their 1095.

I just add the tennis tape to help with the grip of which my little sister takes off. If the handles break due to usage it seems OKC will make it good or at least you can get new ones.

"Some One" took my Woodsman out of my car took the tape off after it got all bloody after some one used it to cleave, chop then slice things in the kitchen because it can do all that with one blade...when I went for a free meal last time.

OKC got me hooked with affordable great HARD USE BEYOND BELIEF capable knife/tool that still looks cool and I can get several at the price of other higher end carbon steel ones. They seem to be shifting for non government contract knives to 1075 for several knives because its better for edge retention, less chipping, and other better stuff and more affordable. Their 5160 will stay 5160. Trust the TOOJ and Dan the Man on this one! If they figure its better after all the testing and other research I figure they know what they are doing! I get OKC products to use, not the tacti-cooliest steel in vogue with who says what is the best, and if this moves makes their products better for their customers it makes it best for every one!

The 5160 of the Woodsman is what made me get it even if its a large FFG blade and I got two RD 9s already. As I tacti-typed before! Its a well thought out multi-tool of a fix blade. I may have to get my little sister one...

I just add the tennis tape to help with the grip of which my little sister takes off. If the handles break due to usage it seems OKC will make it good or at least you can get new ones.

"Some One" took my Woodsman out of my car took the tape off after it got all bloody after some one used it to cleave, chop then slice things in the kitchen because it can do all that with one blade...when I went for a free meal last time.

OKC got me hooked with affordable great HARD USE BEYOND BELIEF capable knife/tool that still looks cool and I can get several at the price of other higher end carbon steel ones. They seem to be shifting for non government contract knives to 1075 for several knives because its better for edge retention, less chipping, and other better stuff and more affordable. Their 5160 will stay 5160. Trust the TOOJ and Dan the Man on this one! If they figure its better after all the testing and other research I figure they know what they are doing! I get OKC products to use, not the tacti-cooliest steel in vogue with who says what is the best, and if this moves makes their products better for their customers it makes it best for every one!

The 5160 of the Woodsman is what made me get it even if its a large FFG blade and I got two RD 9s already. As I tacti-typed before! Its a well thought out multi-tool of a fix blade. I may have to get my little sister one...

I think she would definitely appreciate that!

A few pics after receiving the knife. It is an attractive piece for sure. I have plans to get it some proper field use over the next couple of weeks. I'll report back on how it does.

hL3sAs2.jpg

oXpSvcK.jpg

Remember its a knife first, chopper second. But its one heck of a dang knice knife that can chop!

Its been designed as a true multi-tool from my limited usage thanks to my little sister...

I see the new woodsman sheath has a pouch, how much can you fit in that pouch, I wonder?

Back