The Cantina

Cool....new subforum. 'bout time. everybody else has one....now we can "join the pack"....:D

Well I kinda like the idea that OT topics can be kept within the HI forum rather then in another cantina.........:rolleyes: :)

On a more business related note, should we put some kind of sticky up there for Cantina conduct? I know the regulars will behave, but I would hate for some trolls to move in and treat this place like the Cove...not that the Cove is a bad thing;), just maybe not what the Cantina is all about. Any thoughts?

Jake

On a more business related note, should we put some kind of sticky up there for Cantina conduct? I know the regulars will behave, but I would hate for some trolls to move in and treat this place like the Cove...not that the Cove is a bad thing, just maybe not what the Cantina is all about. Any thoughts?

Yeah I agree. Can we post a link or tell people to visit the HI Forum for conduct guidelines. Umm, wait a minute---do you we have anything like that in the forum?

Steely_Gunz said:
On a more business related note, should we put some kind of sticky up there for Cantina conduct? I know the regulars will behave, but I would hate for some trolls to move in and treat this place like the Cove...not that the Cove is a bad thing;), just maybe not what the Cantina is all about. Any thoughts?

Jake

You could all bow to me as King ! No warnings , no second chances . we will live under the law of 'guilty until tolerated to be innocent" Penalty for all crimes involve Kukkuri justice in one form or another . L:O:L

No name calling . I have only heard of it and never seen it so it isn,t a biggie . Perhaps we will be a little freer with our language here so it may be a valid point .

I don't think we need post any behavior guidelines we haven't already learned from Bill Martino. Treat people kindly. Don't personalize it and start a fight, try to see the other fellow's point of view.

We can only see if this subforum works. Reality has been shifted and we're dealt another hand.

munk

I don't see a problem with setting a few rules...

Of course, that doesn't mean people will read them.....kinda like the safety thread...:rolleyes:

I think we lucked out here....the subforum in ShopTalk if for paying members only....as is the cove.

You are certainly welcome to come up with whatever you think appropriate and submit such an item to Yangdu and the mods.

munk

Seems to me that the distillation of Bill Martino's operating philosophy was:

Tolerance

Respect

Courtesy

So, does this mean that threads like the "What do you do?" should go here? What goes here and what goes on the HI forum?

Thanks for any guidelines.

Norm

OK, took me 30 seconds but I kind of figured it out. Does make sense rather than putting everything into one big basket.

You know what though, knowing this forum, I'll bet the "Cantina" will soon outstrip the rest of the HI forum by several orders of magnitude!

Yes, Norm, put the word 'knife' in it and it stays on HI forum.

If most the OT stuff ends up here, I doubt Spark will worry about a few slight overruns there. (or here)
Sounds like he just wants life easier on his servers.

munk

Kismet said:
Tolerance

Respect

Courtesy

Sounds great to me.

What about a "Rules Thread" that is a sticky that lets people post to it and give their interpretation of what the rules here should be? munk could be the thread starter and put a "distilled list" of the ideas put forth.

Newbies that unintentionally (or even intentionally) misbehave could simply be pointed to the Rules thread where they could read our words of what we would like this place to be like.

That doesn't mean we all have to agree....just distill those rules that rise to the top: the most universal ideas.

Something is definitely better than nothing.

I think both forums will stay strong, and most folks will read both. There will probably be some "moving" now and then, of course...

The H.I. forum does indeed create a lot of bandwidth - also draws a lot of people to Bladeforums...potential paying members. Take this new change as an opportunity to evaluate your own membership here and decide if you have any extra to give back for what you've received.

As usual.....just spewing random thoughts....

I like Dan's enthusiasm for the new. I wish I had more of it. At any rate, we can make the divided HI forum work if we care to make it work, and I think we do.

The trouble with rules lists are clear, and in the last self help thread I started, the one dealing with politics and what forumites wanted out of their forum, forumites correctly pointed out that guidelines were neccesary for communication, but a list of regs were unworkable.

We've seen a few martial arts threads get so hot people wanted to fight- seriously.

munk

Rule Number 1 about the HI Cantina: You do not talk about the HI Cantina.

Rule Number 2: What happens in the HI Cantina stays in the HI Cantina.

Rule Number 3. Disregard rules number 1 and number 2 if you don't feel like following them:D

My thoughts about rules would be that they would be very loose "common sense" statements put forth in a fun way. Not to much to say "this is NOT allowed" but more like "this is how we do things here".
Ya know like:
Play nice
No cussin' or spittin' on the grill
If you're having a bad day, don't kick the mod.

The rules don't have to be hard and fast. Just to the point...or no rules what so ever. Lawlessness can abound if it is the will of the Cantina. I'm gonna go get my hockeymask and dunebuggy "...just walk away.":p

Jake

Back