The challenge, a one piece straight knife sheath

Gary, wonderful work...per usual.

Don, I've tried begging...it doesn't help :)

ah, I'm not a monsters guys, just not into doing the fixed blade
sheaths all the time, so I focus on folder sheaths, my close friends
here can and do make wonderful fixed blade sheaths and they
really enjoy doing that, makes them happy, makes me happy ;)

I liked how this one came out and wanted to share some tips
for things like this, also using that insert of leather would work
well for throwing darts too I'd bet!

thanks again and I do appreciate your liking the work, sorry I can't
do all of them.
G2

Gary,

Some knives pose a higher degree of difficulty in designing a sheath that retains the knife. Your solutions are always innovative and beautiful.

Thanks guys!
G2

I have been communicating with Gary via PM's and in the course of our conversation he gave me a link to this old thread to help explain something to me .
When I saw this sheath I was Awe struck .
It makes me wonder what other incredible work is on this forum which I haven't seen .
I thought by bringing this up to the top others can get a glimpse of what a great fixed blade sheath maker Gary really is even though he doesn't make them anymore and just sticks with Folder sheaths .
This will probably embarrass him , but this skill should be seen by all:)

Ken

Ah Ken you went and done did it ;)

It was an interesting project as were the other ones for the Tim Wright knife too

close up of the two snaps that hold the belt loop portion;

IMG_1509.jpg

And it's true, I'm still not taking orders for fixed blade sheaths, these were for friends, ya gotta be careful with friends ;)

G2

Excellent work there Gary, very inspiring , as I've just joined the forum , I must thank you for all your tutorials , time and effort helping others.

Very kind sir, and of course you are very welcome for any help I may have provided through the tutorials.

Along the same line, a while back I did this desk knife sheath for a friend of Mr Tony Bose, he asked if I might be able to help him out with this, how could you tell a living legend no? ;) plus I got to see one of Tony's older pieces too.

Similarly this knife while it does have a guard, wouldn't be quite right with a strap going around it for just desk duty but you don't want it sliding out when you weren't expecting it to either, so just as the knife finally goes into the sheath fully there is a snug up retention that helps to keep it in place.

As with the other knives above, I when I wrapped the knife/blade up in plastic wrap, I also put a layer of leather the shape of the blade below the blade to help keep the tip up.

And also you will note the stitching around the tip of the sheath, I started with my stitching pattern from that point so it would be at just the right spot and let the upper ends fall as near as you can, the starting at the point is key to making it look proper.

bose_dagger.jpg~original

dagger.jpg~original

dagger1.jpg~original

It was a real classy dagger, neat to be able to handle it.

G2

No one works so well with a bone folder as you. That's just truth.

As for the sheaths, well, I'm glad you don't do fixed blade work.

Thanks sir and there are times to use the bone folder and times to just use your fingers, be sure to trim those nails first! When I'm forming around any clips on a folder I'll make the contours by just my fingers, no need for a hard edge look at that point as you are just making it to allow the clip to be included in the sheath.

G2

Thanks John, it makes for a nice way to have such a thing on your desk easier, of course myself I would like a bigish slate grey rock and have that stuck into the rock...;) always had that in mind, someday I'll get some foam and carve something like that for work :)
G2

Back