The Cheaper Spyderco ParaMilitary G-10 Plain Edge Knife is worth..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle007

BANNED
31C1GOHrxBL._SX425_.jpg

I am a big fan of Spyderco products. For a little less than twice the price this knife gives you some big pluses and one or two slight negatives. First the (for me) cons: The blade is slightly shorter with about the same size grips, so you get less blade for the same amount of real estate in your pocket. The handle is slightly thicker, so the knife is very slightly less comfortable to carry. Lastly, as much as I love that this knife is US made, I find the fit and finish not quite up to the high standards of Japanese made Spyderco products like the Endura. Now the positives: The ergonomics of this knife are just amazing. It fits in the hand so naturally and can be gripped comfortably is a variety of positions. It blows away any other folding knife I've ever tried in this regard, including other Spydercos. If carried tip down as it comes from the factory, it is also has the most intuitive, swift and discrete deployment of any knife I've seen. Simply pull it out of your pocket by gripping the hole in the blade with thumb and the clip with your forefinger, give the knife a gentle downward snap while keeping your grip on the blade, and the knife opens. During this movement, the knife is mostly concealed by your hand so there is no flashy and intimidating blade flicking going on. I use my knife a lot, often in front of people who might be offended by such a display, so this is important to me. You can open any Spyderco folder like this, but with the way the PM2 is designed, it just works better. The S30V steel is not bad. but amazon.com release the price to cheaper... it's right..??? help me to make a choice.
w.png

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying overall. You seem to contradict yourself a couple times. You like the knife, but it's not as good as the Seki City models? You are raving about the ergonomics, but it's not quite right. The knife in your picture there has been discontinued for some time, it's the original "Paramilitary". The short blade is attributed to the 50/50 finger choil, designed for "choking up on the blade for fine work", whatever that has ever entailed. If you are looking for suggestions on where to buy that specific knife you can try the Exchange here or eBay. I do not think you will find it in stock anywhere else, but stranger things have happened I suppose. What you will more than likely find is the Para2. Again if you want one discounted, buy one on the Exchange here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/892-For-Sale-Production-Folders-(Individual)

I carry a Para 1 everyday and have several in different colors plus serrated. A D2 version in my pocket right now. I had a 2 but prefer the older ones. Most like the 2 better because of the pocket clip options and the shape at the bottom of the handle. The 2's are also available in a wider selection of colors and blade steels.

I don't understand your question? Are you asking if it is worth twice as much as a delica/ednura or are you comparing the Para 1 and Para 2?

Moved to the Spyderco forum.

I get the impression that kyle007 is cutting and pasting posts he's read by other people, with no intention of returning to discuss them later.

20 posts in 2 days, with about a third of them garishly misplaced in the wrong forums or threads.

Moved to the Spyderco forum.

I get the impression that kyle007 is cutting and pasting posts he's read by other people, with no intention of returning to discuss them later.

20 posts in 2 days, with about a third of them garishly misplaced in the wrong forums or threads.

Yep. The OP's post is a direct cut-and-paste from a portion of a review for this knife posted in 2011 on Amazon. Definitely not an original opinion. Not sure that I get the point of doing that... :confused:

SB, thanks for tracking that down. I was picking up on the different styles of writing he used. Definitely not his own "voice". Unless I hear from him soon, the hammer will fall.

Yeah, I was, like, "for a little less than twice the price" of what, exactly?
But then sometimes I have difficulty following along, so I thought it might just be me.

We don't need this, getting jerked around by this guy. I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back