The Dental Surgery ..Toothpicks only.

crocus I think referred to a polishing compound used to create a mirror finish.
I just went and researched it (should have done that before posting, I guess) and that seems to be right - "glaze" finish was what we call a machine finish today, "crocus" was a mirror finish (made using crocus of iron). Common on American knives to have crocus on mark side, glaze on back. I think most of the older knives I've seen that this would apply to were so patinated by the time I saw them that the distinction was lost.

Learned something new today. Thanks!

-Tyson

5dQZrM6.jpg

NMFrobX.jpg

Not sure if the Powerderhorn qualifies or not:
7NecdE7.jpg

I have these.... I've got a couple of tiny ones with turquoise handles somewhere that I couldn't locate on short notice....
I have come to really appreciate the GEC toothpicks, and am looking to add to my meager start of a "family". The GEC's have, in my estimation, the perfect shape for the blade. Some toothpicks are too slender, and appear almost too delicate to even use... the GEC's are working knives, that happen to be great looking as well.
Please pardon the terrible lighting... this is just a representative pic.... :oops:

06Bnlr.jpg

I don't have very many Toothpicks in my collection and though I don't have any particular aversion to the pattern, I really don't carry them all that much. They are pretty comfy in hand though and that long, narrow blade is very useful in most applications.

Two GECs and... something else ('twas a gift - scrimshaw is nice).

(All the bolsters and endcaps could use a bit of polishing)

Q2mvRP3.jpg

VXTqzsM.jpg

I wonder why Case has a penchant for tiny toothpicks over large sized ?
Me too. I think they make a medium but only in one cover material a year, maybe. Most are tiny. May get one someday. The medium is about the size of a trapper. The closest thing I have to a toothpick is my Spanish navaja, but I don't think it qualifies as a toothpick, so I won't post it. Nice pattern.

20201024-103702.jpg

This one is very slim .
20201024-103853.jpg

I wonder why Case has a penchant for tiny toothpicks over large sized ?
20201024-103911.jpg

Mammoth tooth ....is there a more appropriate scale for toothpicks?
Case makes a big 4” toothpick, but not every year. It’s nice and slim.

I like toothpicks, but apparently I prefer multi-blade models, since that's all I have.
This is my favorite, since it's just like one I remember my grandpa having. Imperial clip/pen:
toothpick.dock1.jpg

This Buck clip/spey seems rather rare. I got it in a Christmas gift tin a few years ago with a 3" toothpick that my wife claimed:
toothpick.both.mark.open.jpg

This Providence Cutlery clip blade and scaler/caplifter model is called a fish knife, I think, but to me it's still a toothpick:
fish.mark.2open.jpg

Here's a 5" Rough Rider version of a fish knife, with the secondary blade being a fine-toothed saw/serrated blade:
fishknife&lilfriend.open.jpg

- GT

Back