The Drawing Board

For those of you that haven't met 'O1 John', it's rumored that this is he...

John.jpg

Not sayin' it's true, but, then again... :eek:

Hey Now!!

I use Aldo's, or Amtek's Precision ground! Besides, that guy looks a lot nicer than me:p

Glad you brought that up though, I have kicked around the stainless idea for a while and am going to wait until I have some funds available for quench plates and stainless wrap, etc., we'll have that conversation when it comes time.

In the meantime I am going to order some 52100 in 3/32 (.093). I've been wanting to give that a try for a while. I have a couple of designs that I think that will work well with. <<<that's a lot of w's right there.

Well, were waiting, whining, whistling, wondering when! ;)
Sorry, it just typed itself. :shame:

Aldo will welcome, then whine, wince, weigh, wiggle, weep, and wheeze before sending the steel westward - but you'll be happy with the delivered product, so, there is that...

I met Aldo at the Bark River Grind-In back in 2011, a nice guy indeed. That ugly knife I sent you from said grind-in was made from Aldo's Chromoly Sandvik steel...

I've always had good dealings there. I called once because the website was giving me fits and they were nice and helpful. The shipping kills me, wish he was the MTsteelbaron:D

Thought I'd respond to these over here.
I was beginning to wonder if anyone was home. :)
That grain is insane.
no hurry. Do I have your paypal info?
Oh don't worry, the wheels they are a turnin. I'll get that address to you, no hurry.

Same here.

John. Get out in the shop and grind, monkey. Grind!

:p
This monkey just got a delivery of 52100 in a couple of thicknesses and the .156" is begging to travel time. The .093" at 8"x48":eek: is begging to be slicey. Looking forward to testing this stuff out and getting things rolling, consistently rolling.

Got a thermocouple meter and verified my oven temps, lookin good. Rigged up a new blade stand and double-checked everything, was very pleased with the results. Gonna do some test runs within the week.

Thought I'd respond to these over here.

Oh don't worry, the wheels they are a turnin. I'll get that address to you, no hurry.

This monkey just got a delivery of 52100 in a couple of thicknesses and the .156" is begging to travel time. The .093" at 8"x48":eek: is begging to be slicey. Looking forward to testing this stuff out and getting things rolling, consistently rolling.

Got a thermocouple meter and verified my oven temps, lookin good. Rigged up a new blade stand and double-checked everything, was very pleased with the results. Gonna do some test runs within the week.

Oh man, 52100! :cool: One of my favorite carbon steels! :thumbup:

0.093" thick might could make for a good GREAT filet knife... One of which I've been really wanting! ;)

I've never done a filet knife Jared, we may have to work something up down the road.

I'm in no hurry John. :) It's just one of those things that's been kickin around in the back of my head for awhile. As much fishing as I do, I don't know why I haven't made it a priority.

I've got a couple in unknown SS that I use, and they get the job done. One is a cheapy Rapala, and the other is a decent one by Outdoor Edge (made for them by Spyderco back in about '93) that I received from David Bloch, owner of Outdoor Edge, for helping him with his demo booth that shared some space with Diawa Reels (for whom I was doing demo work for when I was sponsored by them as a youth amateur fisherman - connections... ;)) at a large Denver outdoors show in '93 or '94.

Anyway, whenever you feel comfortable, we should talk. Might hang on to a small piece of that 52100 just in case... :D

There's a saying "it's a hard way to go, but a good way to know, the way the old folks did it".
Hard to beat those old designs, like Scagel, Randall and Marbles, though tools have come a long way to make it easier!
Those leather disk handles sure are appealing! :thumbup::D

That sounds good Jared, I'll need advice on that. How about Chief of Filet R&D Dept. when the time comes? The pay sucks but it's a cool title:p. This might take some time to get to, I've got a head full of things I want to get out this year.

I love that saying Dennis, first time I've heard it. I've been researching a lot of the designs we've talked about and I think good things are coming.

That sounds good Jared, I'll need advice on that. How about Chief of Filet R&D Dept. when the time comes? The pay sucks but it's a cool title:p. This might take some time to get to, I've got a head full of things I want to get out this year.

Chief of Fillet R&D Dept. huh? :D I'm afraid that I may not be too qualified for the position. Like the blind leading the blind... :eek:

Hey Now!!

I use Aldo's, or Amtek's Precision ground! Besides, that guy looks a lot nicer than me:p

Glad you brought that up though, I have kicked around the stainless idea for a while and am going to wait until I have some funds available for quench plates and stainless wrap, etc., we'll have that conversation when it comes time.

In the meantime I am going to order some 52100 in 3/32 (.093). I've been wanting to give that a try for a while. I have a couple of designs that I think that will work well with. <<<that's a lot of w's right there.

John,
And everyone else! Happy Thursday!

I became a stainless devotee years ago when I could pretty much watch the 1084 I was grinding for my first few knives, Rust while I worked on it from the salt air & at times, heavy moisture pour down the alley of the Garage/Shop of mine.

If you love Carbon Steels, Try AEB-L And yes, I get it from Aldo! It grinds almost as easy as a Carbon Steel and has very good Corrosion resistance, Gives a fine grain, wicked sharp edge too!

Last edited:
I've never done a filet knife Jared, we may have to work something up down the road.

Be ware fillet knives are VERY DANGEROUS to make, that's why a lot of makers don't make them.

Duke of all things fishy- take the dots out of C.O.D. ;)

Laurence- I have heard good things about Aeb-l. (sent you a pm)

Scott- Thanks for the advice there, looks like that's a bit of a different ballgame.

I'd like to make a very early nomination for the name of the Duke of all that is fishy's filet knife.

How's the Catalina sound? ;)

pby-catalina-flying-boat.jpg

And yes, I want one when they happen. :D

Back