The Endura Thread

Charlie Fox Charlie Fox May we see an image of the clip repair?
Sorry for the delay! I sent it back to the factory when it broke, that had to be late 94-early 95 and it looks like they simply cut off the entire clip and screwed the new one on. It's remained solid all these years (glued I I imagine)
PXK0RWp.jpg

I would prefer the endura have a slightly shorter ricasso so the blade ends a tad closer to the handle, and also get the endela handle treatment where the ridges get smoothed out. But yeah I concur it's a pretty good knife.

Last edited:
My Endura, which I bought when they were introduced, was my first "top tier" knife. Previously carried slip joint hand me downs or cheap single blade knives. Have carried a knife since I was 8, when you could carry at school and play mumbly peg.
I loved the molded clip as it came out of a pair of jeans easier than a metal clip, especially the modern clips. I broke the clip and just sanded down the "stump" and let in it float in my pocket. Perfect size for me. Last year I bought a Resilience Lightweight (C142PBL) in S35VN and it is a great package. Spyderco 👍🗡️

I came late to the Endura and now have TWO: the K390 and the ZDP-189.

In my opinion the Endura K390 is the finest working knife on the planet, bar NONE.

The ZDP-189 version is also great and gets use in the kitchen. Wish Spyderco would come out with a kitchen knife in ZDP-189.

A picture of why I prefer the original saber grind to full flat on an Endura
Sz72spt.jpg

No distal taper.

I tend not to do stupid things with my knives, but if I find myself in the position that I need to, I want the full thickness running the length of that blade.

Kind of an odd experience for me. The first Spyderco I ever bought was a Saber ground Endura with partial serrations and a VG-10 blade. I thought it was great until I got tired of the edge losing its keenness after seemingly minimal use (granted, I've now gotten better at sharpening, but still...). I also got tired of the partial serrations and wasn't impressed with the slicing ability of the Saber grind (it seemed to bind more than it sliced). So, I offloaded it and didn't bother much with Spydercos for about 5 years until I bought a Manix II and spiraled down the Spyderco rabbit hole. Another 8 years passed before I finally gave the Endura another try.

20230716_213737.jpg

It's been 3 months now and I have a hard time convincing myself to carry anything else. It slices, disapears in my pocket, and holds a great edge. It just works and has all but displaced my DEKA, for now.

I broke down and ordered another Endura in VG-10 with last week's sale to keep as a backup and a beater to carry somewhere it may get lost or broken. I'm kicking myself for not also buying a K390 model while still on sale. What was I thinking?

Indeed, thanks. I went to TCU so now I've got a dedicated tailgating knife, if ever I'm goaded into tailgating again.

The first time I bought the most common Endura 4 with VG-10 steel. the knife became blunt rather quickly and began to slide over the products and packaging materials. I sold it without regret and forgot. About a year later I purchased an Endura with ZDP-189 steel. The steel was very brittle. On hard objects, I got micro chipping. I sharpened the knife and sold it. I decided not to experiment with Japanese Spydercos anymore. And switched his attention to American models. But five or six years ago I saw an Endura 4 with V-Toku2 steel in the shop. And I decided to try again.

0-IMG-20230720-094855.jpg

I really liked this steel. It works better than VG-10 and does not require as much attention as ZDP-189.

0-IMG-20230607-121543.jpg

I ordered large-weave carbon overlays from a local craftsman. This is now one of my favorite city knives.

I have a huge collection of high end knives and lots of spydercos. I could own only a k390 endura anf id be cool with that. Both my regular and wharncliffe ones are incredible. Simple design that works!

Sorry for the delay! I sent it back to the factory when it broke, that had to be late 94-early 95 and it looks like they simply cut off the entire clip and screwed the new one on. It's remained solid all these years (glued I I imagine)
PXK0RWp.jpg
A guy I knew in college had the same thing done on his Delica. Pretty solid warranty work, imo.

Back