The Essential Necker (picture heavy)

Huge debt of gratitude to redwood22 for loaning me the Necker to put together this prototype.

Dude! Not only are you a wizard of woodworking, but you are a true visionary!

We have a S! folder!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. So here are the details:

The idea behind the name is that essentially a knife is a blade and a handle and a way to protect the blade. I wanted something that kept the minimalist design aesthetic of the original, and did away with the sheath. I personally have NOT used the necker, or even held one with a lanyard. I am not knocking that design, but I would think that flexible of a handle would have its limitations. I think this improves on that and the handle feels pretty solid/secure. If you don't want to wear a sheath around your neck, this goes in your pocket.

This fits the later model of the necker (longer lanyard hole). I don't have a first gen to compare to (can anyone help me out with that - compare/overlay the two and take a detail photo?). The holes are different, but I think the concept will work.

Wood is curly maple, pro-grade stabilized by K&G. Carbon fiber back spacer and stainless steel pins. The larger pin is the stop pin and it nests in the choil and prevents the blade from contacting the carbon fiber. The three divots along the inside of the handle are to provide a little more grip for your middle and fourth finger, and the larger divot matches the profile of the tang of the blade. This is so when you are pinching with your thumb and middle finger you are getting the tang as well as the wood.

So far the screw has not backed out of the pivot bolt, but I will have to locktite it in place once the friction is set. Probably have to use the kind that can be adjusted.

So redwood22 was in on this a little bit for the past few weeks. I sent him a picture and said, "So... can I borrow your knife?" Please bear in mind, redwood22 doesn't know me from Adam, and he simply said, "Heck yah! I'll help." The guy is solid. Thanks again, redwood22.

It's called a chain-ring bolt and that's just how they are made. (in other words - beats the heck outta me!)

or, battoning.

That is perfect! If you are looking to make a few more, please sign me up! I wear a suit everyday and this fits the bill to a tee.

Very nice work!

Nate

Simply amazing! I never wanted the necker model until now.

For those who have expressed interest, please check your email or, SpaceAce73, your visitor messages. Thanks!

(I really gotta upgrade my membership...)

Redwood for Prez!!!! I would LOVE one of these. Thanks for posting this gem TR!

To the Survive! Team - Can you make this PLEASE????!!!! OR Redwood are you taking orders?? I got to find a N1 first...

Back