The Excalibur

Many years ago, I received a pamphlet from a foreign mail order company that was promoting the sale of a replica Excalibur.

I remember admiring the picture of the sword of King Arthur of the Knights of the Round Table.

It was encased in a beautiful box and was to be hung on the wall for all to admire. I have since lost that pamphlet and thus the memory of what it actually looked like.

Does anybody has that sword and would like to post a picture of it so that it could rekindle memories of a bygone age when anything was possible and when every good man was a knight and a gentleman?

I doubt this is the exact sword but it is the closest thing to an "Excalibur" that I have seen...
classicknights.jpg

Calm down, Hugh! Don't froth at the mouth! Don't bite the good people! Grrrr!

Historically, If there had been an Arthur, and there may well have been a real Romano-Briton warleader on whom all of the stories and legends are based, his time period would have been sometime not too long after the last of the Roman Legions had been withdrawn from the Province of Britannia in the year 410 CE. There was a period, around 600 CE of 50 years or so when the Anglo-Saxon invasions were slowed and even reversed to a degree. This is thought to have been the period of "Arthur". Any weaponry of that period would have been more Late Roman Empire or Migration Era than the Medieval or High Medieval swords that one sees advertized as "Excalibur". If you wish to see excellent examples of sort of weapon, look at the Albion Mark Collection at http://www.albionarmorers.com/markmain.htm especially the "Late Period Spatha I" sword, "The Kragehul Bog Sword", and the "Migration Type X" sword. And, if you spoke nicely to Triton, he might be willing to make you a scabbard and belt for one of them. (Triton, I should think that Holger would have perfect metalwork for this sort of thing, check under "Volkerwanderungszeit" and/or "Frankische-Karolingishe Zeit" eras and click on "Gurtel". You would probably need to email him to discuss details.)

Gee Hugh, you meen they didn't all look like THIS?
:D

Attachments

• first_knight.jpg
    first_knight.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 115
Ken: Snarl, Snap, Growl……………………..

Truth is, I was raised on the King Arthur stories and played at them all of my childhood. We had the Scribner Classic version with illustrations by the likes of N.C. Wyeth, upon which I learned to read, and my brother had been given a copy of a first edition of the Aubrey Beardsley illustrated version of Sir Thomas Mallory’s “Le Morte d’Arthur”. If you wan to see some really fascinating takes on the Lady of the Lake, Guinevere, et alia (note the feminine) a copy of the illustrations is available from Dover an well worth the minimal price. I read that book several times. But I grew up and started to study Late Roman history and then the history, such as it is available, of the Dark Ages. That history is a whole lot more interesting, all on its own, than the bowdlerized, castrated versions that we get filtered through the High Medieval Arthur stories as told by Chretien de Troyes, the famous minstrel, to his employers, the women of the courts of France. This started with Eleanor of Aquitaine; yes, that Eleanor, who later married the rather younger Henry II of England. She and her ladies were heartily tired of the testosterone laden knights bashing each other (my interpretation) and set about creating the image of the romantic knight errant (that much is historical). In this, they had the hearty assistance of the Church and they hired the minstrels to write songs, poems, and stories glorifying romantic love, love lost, all kinds of non-violent things, and they set about “cleaning up” the very violent Celtic, mostly Welsh, but Ken Cox says that there are Cornish as well*, and North British tales of a just post Roman war leader who successfully fought off the Germanic invaders for about 50 years before he was killed in a civil war, the bane of the Celts. These are mostly very bloody and violent, as well as rather non-Christian and generally weird by High Medieval standards, so they were very much altered to meet the tastes of the times, and that is the basis for Mallory and all modern versions of Arthur. It is just that the history that I have been able to dig out is SO MUCH more interesting.

In any case, how would you like to see people interpreting your landsknechts as running around in the frock coats and mitred grenadier caps of Frederick the Great or even in lobster-tail pots, breasts and backs, and buff coats? Actually, that would be timelier than what is shown, although “First Knight” wasn’t bad, as Arthur pictures go. Now, “Excalibur”, that was just God-awful, IMHO. My wife and I nearly fell out of our seats laughing at the scene where Uther bedded Ygrainne while dressed in full plate, merely removing a tasset or two. Ye gods and little godlets! I’ve got it! We’ll have Lee’s army of Northern Virginia in the VietNam era boonies and we’ll put the Union Army of the Potomac in German WWII uniforms (that should please some of our members!).

Oh, well, I know when I am tilting windmills, so, come along Sancho, I will mount Rosinante and be gone.

Yeah but that sword is so much cooler then some old Celtic leafblade or Roman Spatha....(running for cover)

Hugh,

Sorry about the proceeding post, just couldn't help giving a friendly tweak.

I fully understand what you're talking about and even know for a fact that what you say of Eleanor of Acquitane and her crimes of revision is true, but still, watch what you say, she's my 37th or so, Great Grandma!

Yes, I do strive for a great deal of historical accuracy and I am a stickler for it, but to my way of thinking, the story of Arthur is beyond history. It is Legend, and I say that with greatest respect for the word. We may never know how much of the Arthurian Legend is true, if any of it is correct or not, but Legend is a story for all times and all people and should be kept flexible enough to bear up through changing times provided that the story retains integrity enough to still carry the powerful themes that made it Legend in the first place.

Arthur, Excalibur, Merlyn, Camelot, The Lady of the Lake, these words strike a chord deep within the more romantic spirits among us and whether Excalibur was Spatha, Small Sword, or anything in between is not so important as the concepts and ideals conveyed by the story itself.

Concepts such as:

Nobility should not be a matter of birthright, but a trait of character attainable to any man or woman with the heart to desire it.

That all men should strive not only for their own betterment but also for the furtherance and betterment of all men.

And so on...

I will confess, the only version of the Arthurian Tale I have read are the T.H. White works, The Once and Future King andThe Book of Merlyn. Probably not the version you would find most "correct" but a stirring rendition of a long surviving and well loved Legend that will live (In one form or another.) as long as Man does.

I will make an effort to find at least one of the versions you mention though. Probably "Le Morte d'Arthur" as I've always wanted to but never got around to it.

BTW "First Knight" stank to High Heavens by my standard more than any other version, portraying an "ideal" that Truth, Fidelity, and Loyalty are malleable and non-absolute as long as everything works out in the end. Purest travesty IMHO.

Not me, I love the Kragehul Bog Sword and the Late Period Spatha. I would also love the appearance of the Depeeka Migration Era sword, if not for its iffy quality of construction, great weight, and poor balance. The problem with the latter item is that Valentine Armouries has discontinued, at least temporarily, listing the Depeeka items that they carried under the NIX name, so I cannot show it to you.

Of course, my first love is still the Mainz style gladius hispaniensis. Tinker, I don't suppose that you have the ability to make a scabbard for one of the Albion Mark versions. I would want a pretty basic version with full brass, channels down both sides, a chape that is a plate filled in between the channels at the tip that has some floral working and some pierced decoration, and a narrow brass locket with, perhaps, some beading, and then two bands at the the points where the sets of rings for suspension are mounted. If you look at the Pompeii style scabbard, you'll get the the idea, but for the full length channels on the sides. If you have seen Peterson's book on the Roman re-enactors, I believe that there are some pictures of plainer Mainz style scabbard in there. If not, I have a copy of Graham Sumner's book, "The Roman Army: Wars of Empire" and I could try to send you emails if I can find a scanner.

Back