The famous Spyderco flick

Flicking open your spyderco with the spyder hole is fun and addictive in my opinion once you get the technique down. That said it can cause excessive wear on your knife which can lead to damage.

Has anyone actually experienced damage due to flicking? If so, how many flicks or years did it take for the damage to occur?

Are you talking about thumb or finger?

Either way, I personally don't really worry about putting wear on my knives by opening and closing them all day.
It's part of the enjoyment for me. I work in an office and to be honest, I don't have a lot of daily cutting tasks.
Still love knives though, so I guess the calm, relaxing effect I get from opening and closing them at my desk is a factor of value.
I guess what I'm saying is, I don't mind "putting wear on them" doing this because it's serving one of the purposes I bought the knife for.

My Chokwe wore in the first coupe months of having it from ~30% lockup to ~60%, likely because I flicked it a lot. It has pretty much settled in now though.

Are you talking about thumb or finger?

Either way, I personally don't really worry about putting wear on my knives by opening and closing them all day.
It's part of the enjoyment for me. I work in an office and to be honest, I don't have a lot of daily cutting tasks.
Still love knives though, so I guess the calm, relaxing effect I get from opening and closing them at my desk is a factor of value.
I guess what I'm saying is, I don't mind "putting wear on them" doing this because it's serving one of the purposes I bought the knife for.

Thumb or finger. I use both methods. I am in the same boat as you. I don't have many daily cutting tasks myself and agree with you that the calm relaxing effect is a factor of value. I am just more curious if anyone has actually found any damage to their knifes due to flicking and if so how long it took.

Is this a trick question?

"How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop? The world may never know."

:D

I bought a used Delica 3, 4 or 5 years ago. I have flicked, spydie dropped and back-handed it ever since i got it. All that (abuse?) has only made it smoother. Still locks up tight. No noticeable blade play. It has lost about 40% of the blade coating though (black blade,OD green, FRN handle). "Don't worry,be happy",mon. regards Henry

These are tools designed for cutting. Anything save slamming it open with full wrist action, I'm perfectly fine with

I can't remember where I read that flicking is not good for these knives,

but I always do it especially when watching tv.

the only problem I encountered is that it annoys my wife!:D

I can't remember where I read that flicking is not good for these knives,

but I always do it especially when watching tv.

the only problem I encountered is that it annoys my wife!:D

Tell your wife the flicking is your release for her cloths/shoe shopping. ;)

With my Spyderco Kiwi I pinch the blade at the "hole" and make the frame do the opening motion. My Q is too light to flick it open.

I just got a lightweight UKPK today (my first FRN UKPK) and the unlined scales are too light weight to Spydie-Drop.

TedP

Back when I had a Para2 I would flick it open a lot (just with my thumb, no wrist movement). After a couple months the lockbar traveled from 20% to around 90%. Eventually I loosened the stop pin, rotated it maybe 15 degrees, and retightened it. Lockup was back to around 20%, but after a few more months of flicking it had traveled over again, and so I again rotated the stop pin. I think this was primarily just a flaw with the design of the comp lock though, never had this happen to any other knives.

Back when I had a Para2 I would flick it open a lot (just with my thumb, no wrist movement). After a couple months the lockbar traveled from 20% to around 90%. Eventually I loosened the stop pin, rotated it maybe 15 degrees, and retightened it. Lockup was back to around 20%, but after a few more months of flicking it had traveled over again, and so I again rotated the stop pin. I think this was primarily just a flaw with the design of the comp lock though, never had this happen to any other knives.

If this be the case, good to know!
I'll put my PM2 back in my bag and use some of the many others for Flick Duty :p
That new S110V Manix 2 flicks like a champ!

I havent had any problems with flicking open a knife and believe me i do it alotttt especially with my sage 3 and lockup is still fine.

I've had Militarys since the late 90's.Great flickin knifes.Just got the PMII.When I flick it w/ my thumb the top lock seems to like to pinch my index finger.Guess I'll have to practice my technique.:rolleyes:

Back