The Ferrous of Them All. A Quillon Dagger.

I named this one not because I’m conceited about my work! The dagger is made of all ferrous materials and furthermore has a sort of fairy tale vibe to me. Also, “the Ferrous of Them All” was Grant Sarver’s byline on another forum, which I always thought was clever, so it’s a small homage too, I suppose.

The blade is a 324 layer twist laminate of 15n20 and CruForgeV steels, with a double 4” hollow grind. The guard was forged, pierced and shaped out of a bar of old wrought iron, and then given a fairly heavy etch to expose the fascinating grain of this metal. The grip is a forge welded spiral basket of six ¼” mild steel rods with a forge finish. The pommel is shaped of the same wrought iron as the guard, and etched. The grip’s tenons fit into mortises on the fittings.

The knife can be fully taken down for maintenance. As a metal take-down tool did not figure into this design, I made a micarta wrench that non-marringly enhances grip when unscrewing the pommel.
Observe that the tang is etched for most of its length so that the pattern can be seen through the grip. The threaded tang end was brazed on and the neat brass v-joint can be seen on the tang end flats. I guess that’s the only non-ferrous part!

Specs are as follows:
Blade length: 11”
Blade at widest: 1-1/4”
Blade thickness at ricasso: .200”
Guard at widest: 6-1/8”
Overall length: 16-5/8”
Weight: 14.5oz.
Balance point is right at face of guard.

I am asking $850 for this knife plus any shipping charges over $20. NOW SOLD. It does not include a sheath or case, as I see it more as a “display-stand type” blade.

DSC03258.JPG

DSC03269.JPG

DSC03260.JPG

DSC03261.JPG

DSC03262.JPG

DSC03263.JPG

DSC03264.JPG

DSC03266.JPG

DSC03268.JPG

DSC03270.JPG

DSC03271.JPG

DSC03276.JPG

DSC03280.JPG

DSC03277.JPG

DSC03278.JPG

DSC03279.JPG

DSC03281.JPG

DSC03282.JPG

DSC03286.JPG

DSC03283.JPG

DSC03287.JPG

DSC03285.JPG

DSC03284.JPG

I make knives to the best of my ability and knowledge. I research to find the best materials and methods to use, in order to provide the very best product, in terms of value, durability, performance, and aesthetics. Should you find a knife you have bought from me to be lacking in any of these respects, you may ship it back to me at my expense for a full money-back return.
Should a knife purchased from me fail in materials or workmanship, please ship it back to me at my own expense for your money back in full, or repairs at no cost. It’s your choice.
I will sharpen any of my knives at no cost; however I do ask that you pay for shipping costs for this service.
I am always pleased to hear from any of my customers, past, repeat, potential, or otherwise. Please go to my web site, see "Contact Me" and give me a call. If you have any questions regarding these policies, I'd like to hear them.

Salem Straub

Last edited:
Looks very Promethean to me. :)

About the only thing I would adjust is the final fit of the pommel.

Thanks Greg!

As for the pommel, any adjustment of the pommel fit at this point will lead to it screwing on out of line. As it is, there is a little more clearance at the edges than the center so that nothing visible galls when installing or removing. In the same way, the guard is not press fit as I would do were it not a takedown. I don't want the etched wrought scratching the pattern on the tang.

Unless you mean the square shoulders of the pommel underside, in which case it's a matter of taste and I'll give you that!

The only flaw I see is the price... too low. Great work, brother.

Wow! I would like to say more, but WOW sums it up better than anything I might say.

No worries Mark, duly noted. Another guy really liked it. Hard to say what's going to appeal to who! I made it as an afterthought accessory, so I can see how it doesn't really match the aesthetic of the rest of the knife.

Back