The Fifth of November

With a nod of thanks to William M over in SFI for reminding me.

Remember Remember the 5th of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason,
should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes Guy, 'twas his intent, To blow up king and parliament.
Three score barrels were laid below, to prove old England's overthrow.
By God's mercy he was catched, with a dark lantern and lighted match.
Holler boys Holler boys let the bells ring, Holler boys Holler boys God save the King.

Or, "A penny for the Guy?"

Or as is often said:

"Guy Fawkes, the only man to ever enter Parliament with honest intent"

;)

Roger

Like all these old traditions .... it was so much more fun when I was a lad :)

We would collect old clothes and stuff them to make a Guy and put him on top of the bonfire. We would eat bonfire toffee, toffee apples, parkin and stuff that was burnt in the edge of the fire :)

Oh, and everyone had fireworks. We still had fireworks factories of our own then.....

Roger

Roger Gregory said:
Like all these old traditions .... it was so much more fun when I was a lad :)

We would collect old clothes and stuff them to make a Guy and put him on top of the bonfire. We would eat bonfire toffee, toffee apples, parkin and stuff that was burnt in the edge of the fire :)

Oh, and everyone had fireworks. We still had fireworks factories of our own then.....

Roger
:eek: :eek: WHAT??!!
What the flip is Guy Fawkes Day without the bonfires and the fireworks - especially the fireworks?!! Me English step-Mum and me giddy Aunt Mary would be betwixt and between!!

Mumble, mumble, all that furrin stuff ...

Today in history: in 1935, Parker Brothers released MONOPOLY !!! :D

Esav, did you celebrate the appropriate commemoration on 10/26?

It was the anniversary of the Gunfight at the OK Corral. Now what could be more iconically American than that?

When I lived in England, in the early 60's, we'd celebrate Guy Fawkes day and the 4th of July with fireworks. We had to save fireworks from Nov to July, as there weren't fireworks to buy around the 4th, for some unknown reason... :rolleyes:

Howie

java said:
:eek: :eek: WHAT??!!
What the flip is Guy Fawkes Day without the bonfires and the fireworks - especially the fireworks?!! Me English step-Mum and me giddy Aunt Mary would be betwixt and between!!

We have to buy Chinese fireworks now .... no reason to object I suppose, the Chinese did at least invent them so they ought to be good by now :)

Roger

Back