The Fighting Tomahawk-The Video

I hate to do a shameless plug....How so Ever, there may be some that care. At any rate there is an introductory clip of the lead in along with some excerpts from the swinging log section with Steve Huff. Sorry, I had only been out of the hospital for a few months so had to rely on my buddies and I move a bit slow. It is up on Paladin's u-tube site.

All My Best
Dwight

Dwight, I ordered it as soon as I got your email. I'm SOOOOOOO excited, you have no idea!

Thanks guys.
The point to remember here with this particular video is that it is very, very, fundamental and tries to balance the history against the martial arts. There was a lot we just had to leave out because of the time constraints. The rough & tumble plus the Petter material are just short samples that really need more exploration. If it does anything it shows the 'Family' side of my martial arts associates and is more about them than anything I would do. Those young guys you see jumping around and doing all the hard work are the future and it's their turn not mine. I hope the warclub material serves as a stimulus for some of our American Indian friends to get out there and do some really historic stuff for thier culture and that of this great country.

All My Best
Dwight

I think each is around 45-50 minutes. It is a bit long if you take it in total. What is interesting is we left out a lot (LOT) of material and some we filmed were excluded because of time. I guess we just scratched the surface. I've got a couple of request for a four day Tomahawk Camp to cover all the material, but I just don't think with the economy and such it's a good idea.....travel these days is just too expensive.

Best
Dwight

a 4 day camp would be a ton of fun, but alas you are probably right in the fact the economy would preclude at least me from going

I've been trying to get a copy of the book "The Fighting Tomahawk" but amazon won't ship it to Canada.:mad:They won't give any clear explanation either.
I'll check out the Paladin Youtube site when I go to work again.(No highspeed here).

I just got my copy of these DVDs. They're great! I really enjoyed the "historical interludes" and I like the "private lesson" format. Are there any plans to do a similar presentation of your Bowie material? BTW...hope you are doing well after your hospital stay and nothing serious is afoot!

Keith

Hey Keith: Glad you liked the video. Yes, Paladin's video director has approached me for an October 2010 shoot but as yet we not worked out any details. There is a lot of water that will pass under the bridge between now and then so we will have to wait and see. Are you back in this country yet? If so drop me a private email and let me know where, maybe we can get together.

All My Best
Dwight

I also just got the DVD set - it's a fantastic collection of techniques, clearly and effectively presented. I have the book, as well, but seeing things on their feet was a huge benefit.

Dwight, if you don't mind me asking, in the section on spike hawks you're using what looks like a wooden trainer version of the Emerson CQC-T: where'd you get it? It looks like a very faithful copy.

Just asking, since I'm still working out cheap/effective trainer construction. John from TAK has been helping me out quite a bit in another thread here, but I thought I'd check about that wooden trainer while I'm jawin'.

Anyway, thanks for putting together such great material - it's a real help!
JC

Kingcole: Hey buddy, here is the story on the CQC-T trainer. The week prior to the shoot, it was cahos around here. Wife running everywhere, clearing brush away for the hillside shoots and such. The day before everyone was supposed to arrived it dawned on me that I did not have a CQC-T trainer for the backspike. John was on the road and had no time to make one so I went into the garage and found an old cutting board that Jeneene had discarded. Cut a pattern from a trace of the CQC-T. Took this template and traced onto the cutting board. Got out the jig saw , finished off with a wood wrasp and file wrapped the handle with some 1/4 cotton cord used for clothes lines and the result is what you see. I made one also out of wood using lamination but Andy and Jeff broke the spike off doing some drills. There are two other wooden ones in the video one is made by a friend of Huffs whose name I can't remember and the other was made by me. The process is to cut out the hawk pattern from red oak. The for the head you glue to slabs of thin oak and shape it with a rasp and file. Most of the hawk trainers I use these days are from John Stanley's TAK Knives. Forrest Mitchell had some kydex head covers made for out Cold Steel Rifleman Axe which work pretty good for half speed drill, but still raise a bruse if you get hit. Least the weight is right. I sure hope this was helpful.

Best
Dwight

Ah hah! Perfect - thanks for the info! I may just give that a try. The laminate approach is something I didn't think of. When I was starting the process of working out some trainers, I thought briefly of wood, but was afraid I'd end up with something too weak to use, so I went to plastics, and that's where John found me.

Again, thanks so much for the help & advice, Dwight! Take care.
JC

Back