The final Cheetlang Story

A while ago, I promised Craig I'd do a complete write-up on the Cheetlang. Here goes:

In choosing the most popular type of newly-produced original khukuri, collectors have varied preferences, but the CHEETLANG seems to be very definitely on the top ten list. Logically, one would like to know how the Cheetlang came about.

One day last year (2000), Lalitkumar Lama, the proprietor of Khukuri House in Nepal, informed distributor Craig Gottlieb of Arlington, Virginia, that he'd be excited about something coming in the next shipment. The shipment arrived on 11th March 2000. When it arrived and Craig removed the wax paper, this khukuri - the likes of which he had not seen before - fell out and he was immediately hooked. On the same day Craig posted on GH Bladeforum: "I've got a stunningly beautiful 18 inch Chianpure that is, I believe, already spoken for. It's actually an Ang Khola Chianpure." He called it a Chianpure because of the widely flaring butt, and an Ang Khola because of the fullered groove.

Also on 11th March Craig let the prospective owner know that he was a "lucky S.O.B." - the so-called Ang Khola Chianpure was certainly one of the top five khukuris he'd ever laid eyes on.

In retrospect it seemed clear that the first thing that struck Craig about this prototype, was that this khukuri was a sort of hybrid. It had characteristics of other khukuris - not only the fullered groove of an Ang Khola and the buttcap of a Chianpure, but also the slender blade of a Sirupati.
It caught one's attention, and had this snakey, deadly feel about it.

Mike Landon of Mt. Holly, North Carolina, who happened to acquire this prototype, recalls that he had placed a special order with Craig for an 18- inch Chianpure khukuri. When the GH shipment finally arrived, Mike was informed by Craig that he actually had two Chianpures available. One was plain, and then there was this special one having a bit of the Ang Khola in it, with hatchmark work on the bolster and handle, a fancy "sword of Shiva", and a scalloped keeper on the butt-cap. Mike chose to buy the more expensive fancy "Chianpure". So impressed was Mike when he finally took possession of the khukuri, that his favourable comments spurred Craig to make further inquiries to Lalit.

It was inevitable that Craig would order more of these new style khukuris. He received a shipment list on 2nd June and reported to GH Bladeforum that he had "something called a Cheetlang". This was the first actual run of five of them, with standard karda and chakmak. It was also the first time anyone on GH Bladeforum had ever heard of a "Cheetlang".

The first ever picture of a Cheetlang was posted by Craig on 20th June 2000, and described by him as "the talked-about Chianpure/Sirupati/Ang Khola combination - a very cool piece."

He continued: "I imported and sold ONE of these a few months ago, and now I have five more, available at a forumite-only price. This khukuri is a pleasure to hold and use, combining the best features of three types of khukuris: the strength of an Ang Khola blade, the comfort of a Chianpure handle and the grace of a Sirupati. Another notable feature is the ridged sheath. This will eventually become regular inventory".

Forumite Berkley procured the first Cheetlang after the prototype, and posted a picture of it on 27th June.

By 26th July a shipment of ten more Cheetlangs was due in, and more and more satisfied forumites were writing in to tell of their highly favourable impressions.

Soon the Cheetlang earned a truly excellent reputation for quality and handling, and it did become a standard Gurkha House model.

Since then, ferrules and buttcaps were added to the chakmak and karda. This even further enhanced the appeal of the Cheetlang, as now it was the only khukuri with special-quality accessory tools.

The Cheetlang was made available in a rosewood-handled as well as a horn- handled version. Although some collectors liked the rosewood best, the original horn-handled version was claimed by some to be even better looking.

As could be expected, this hybrid did not look or perform exactly like each of the khukuris which went into its design. For example, although the Cheetlang did look a lot like a Chianpure, the two of them performed very differently. It handled like a fighter, but had the strength of a heavier tool - much like a "cross between a ballerina and a linebacker", as one happy owner commented. This design is a good one - easy to use, easy to control, not a log splitter like the Ang Khola but strong enough to do decent work and it makes a very effective weapon. It is light and nimble - light as a feather, but tough enough to split wood. The spine is strong enough to be pounded through wood when splitting. This might be described as a gentleman's knife, or a traveling knife. It is light enough to be useful cutting vines, or other trail type duties.

The Cheetlang has enjoyed the most attention by far, and has been called, simply, a great one, the most perfectly proportioned, best balanced and most aesthetically pleasing khukuri now being made.

After much reading up on the subject, it seems the Cheetlang somehow evolved from the Udhaipur, which is a Nepalese village khukuri. There is a striking similarity between the Udhaipur and the Cheetlang. The Udhaipur is a pretty old design, popular around the village of Udhaipur, in SE Nepal. It has a fullered groove like an Ang Khola, but it is a deep, forged fuller that extends the length of the blade - not just on the forward section like the Ang Khola. This makes the blade even lighter than its size would indicate.

If the fullered groove extends the full length of the blade, some kamis call the blade form a "full Ang Khola". This may not be a proper name for the Udhaipur, but this is what some call it.

The civilian Udhaipur generally is 16 inches long and has a weight of 14 oz. The blade is about 5/16 inch thick at the back and about 1.5 inch wide. The Udhaipur has an enclosed "eye of the dove" cho, which is characteristic of this style. However, the Chianpure and Dhankute also has this type of cho.

A village Udhaipur khukuri was used as a prototype for a Himalayan Imports production model, called the "Gelbu Special." Presumably Gelbu, the representative of HI in Nepal, bought this knife from some hitherto unknown kami, and then started a production run. While the village Udhaipur and the Cheetlang has a light blade, the blade of the Gelbu Special is considerably heavier. It is more than 7/16 inch thick at the back of the blade but narrows to about 1/4 inch or perhaps a bit less at the center of the fullered groove. A Gelbu Special is about 19 inches long and weighs 1.5 lbs.

It is justifiable that the Udhaipur, Cheetlang and Gelbu Special should have different names, but indications are they belong to one style, with the Udhaipur as the parent.

Very recently (16/6/2001) a new type of Chianpure was made available by HI, called a dui chirra Chianpuri. Except for minor points, it is a dead ringer for the Cheetlang.

[This message has been edited by Johan van Zyl (edited 06-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Johan van Zyl (edited 06-18-2001).]

Thanks Johan for that interesting account of the Origins of Cheetlang.

Now the bug has bitten me. I may add a cheetlang to my khukuri collection.

------------------
Make Love your strongest weapon. Compassion your shield and forgiveness your armour.

May Craig sell many more cheetlangs due to "The Final Cheetlang Story". Is there a hidden motive behind this effort? No sirree, no no no.

I can only vouch this account is a good version of what is currently known about the Cheetlang. And the Cheetlang is very definitely worth the effort! Wait, we need at least one more opinion... Berk, are you receiving me? Berk, come in... Berk?

Johan,
I knew I was one of the early riders on the Cheetlang Express, but hadn't realized I was number 2. Thanks for the great research. Did I mention that the Cheetlang was the only khukuri I ever carried around the house from room to room for weeks, just so I could have it handy whenever I wanted to play with it?
smile.gif

Berk

I thought I had number 2.
frown.gif
Hey Berk, has the scabbard on your Cheetlang started discoloring? I also got one from the first one, and I can see traces of red underneath the black on mine. It seems the dye that the sarkis used on my scabbard didn't quite take.

kamagong,
I'm just taking Johan's word on the sequence - I wasn't counting, just grabbing, when these bad boys hit the market. And yep, there's an area along the raised angle in the front of the scabbard where the reddish color leather peeks through. I have a couple of kuks where this has happened, and I kind of like the effect myself, but I imagine you could dye it black if it bothers you.
Berk
P.S. for Craig - any chance of ordering an upgrade set of k&c with bolsters & buttcaps? - ain't nothin' wrong with the originals, but now that I know there's somethin' better available.... I mean, the steel wheels looked great, 'till I saw the mags...
smile.gif

Berk,

I also like the effect. I think that it adds character to my khuk, along with brass fittings that are starting to lose some of their original lustre. I may just have to leave it as is.

kamagong,
Yep,there's nothing like the passage of a little time to add character to a khukuri
smile.gif
Berk

Johan, how in the world did you dig up all this stuff?! Amazing. Just as a minor point of clarification, you might want to know that Arlington is in Virginia and adjacent to Washington, D.C. I wouldn't want you to unknowingly offend anybody from the great state of West Virginia.

I'm enjoying all the contributions from all who've posted on this thread.

The horn is beautiful, but I'm still a wood kind of guy....Dan

I'll check my stock of Cheetlangs and see if there's one with a cracked handle. If there is, it goes to the Blem pile. I won't mind cannibalizing the tools for ya, Berkley.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Guys, thanks for all the inputs!
BERK: Thanks for the pic of that beautiful oldie! What a story it could tell! If you look at the Cheetlang story again after a day or two you will see that I corrected the spelling of your name with the help of Bladeforum's editing facility. Furthermore, I put you in place #2 because that is what my research indicated. IF Kamagong was in fact 2nd, there was no indication as far as I could pick up in GH Bladeforum that that is the case. You and Kamagong need to put your heads together and check out your dates of receipt of your Cheetlangs. And then please let me know.
KAMAGONG: I'm a fall guy for the ageing effect. I PURPOSELY aged the scabbard of my 15" Ang Khola by rubbing off with a wet rag as much of the black dye as possible, and then putting on a special leather "food" treatment. I really liked the effect, so much so that I repeated the process on my Indian Army khuk scabbard. I won't do it to my Cheetlang scabbard, though.
LT. DAN: I used the "search" function on GH Bladeforums, and also on HI Forum and their two Archives files. I'm just feeling a bit disappointed that I still can't report on what the name "Cheetlang" means in Nepali, or where Lalit got the Cheetlang prototype...! Thanks for correcting me on the state issue - I'll repair the damage.
FORUMITES, for those of you who might like to print out the Cheetlang Story for yourselves, give me a few days to bring about the changes. Check the Cheetlang Story again after a few days to get the edited (corrected) and maybe even slightly improved product.

[This message has been edited by Johan van Zyl (edited 06-15-2001).]

Back