The Four "C"s of Why You Should Carry a Pocket Knife

There have been some questions recently about why folks would opt to carry a pocket knife instead of a fixed-blade. To me, the answer boils down to the four "C"s:

1. Cutting
2. Convenience
2. Concealment
3. Compliance

Cutting with a knife is self-explanatory. And while both folders and fixed-blades can cut stuff, this item needs to be on the list. (Thanks, marcinek!)

Convenience means that if it folds, you can carry a lot more knife in a given amount of space than you can if it doesn't fold.

Concealment refers to the fact that it's a lot easier to hide a folding knife on your person than it is to hide a fixed-blade knife. Just stick your folding knife in your pocket and if you don't use a pocket clip, it disappears from view.

Compliance has to do with the rules and regulations that govern knife carry in your jurisdiction. In my jurisdiction, for example, the laws are much friendlier to knives that are completely concealed than to knives that aren't. YMMV, but you should check your local laws to be sure.

I think that covers it. But there's too much knowledge and experience around here for me to be willing to make that assumption. Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
Yes, you have missed something.

I call it "The One 'C' of Why You Should Carry a Pocket Knife":

1. Cutting stuff.

Yes, you have missed something.

I call it "The One 'C' of Why You Should Carry a Pocket Knife":

1. Cutting stuff.

Indeed Marci... I'll join your list:

2. Cuz I might need it;

3. Can't think of a reason not to.

You forgot "cilling aremed sentry guards". Or wait, only a fixed blade can do that, at least that's what I've heard recently :p

9 - Curmudgeonliness! Owning a knife is an invitation to join Bladeforums, where grown men squabble like children over matters of personal taste, take offense to everything, gripe about anything and everything, and cast judgements on the morality or intelligence of others despite having little to no information about circumstances surrounding a statement / event / decision.

10 - Community! Despite all the petty BS that can occur here and on other forums, there's a real sense of comradery amongst those of us who appreciate shiny sharp things. Informative folks, people who should be working as photographers, artisans, experts, people of all ages and backgrounds, and moderators who are not only generally even-handed but also genuinely pleasant people and active posters.

I work construction and I don't think there's any way I could carry a fixed blade and not have it get in my way. Maybe if it was really small and fit in my pocket.

Did ya read Velitrius's post that was 2 before yours?

I'm gonna bet I'm on hatchet's ignore list, Marcinek. I'm quite the annoying ol' bastid, having aged so much here on BFC.

BTW, Cillin' folk ain't something we can talk about outside of Practical Tactical forum. Sorry Cray. :D

Just a recap to share my take on this one.

1. Cutting, well I assume we're all on the same page on that one.lol.

2. Convenience, just imo, I don't find a folder any more convenient. I can
drop my bk14 or my izula in my pocket and they are no less convenient
than a sak or large stockman. I find them equally convenient.

3. Concealment, this is the only one we really seem to differ on.
I used a few zipties to add a metal belt clip on my srk sheath. Now
I can put it inside my waist band on my hip and carry my srk or
my Buck Nighthawk in it and hardly notice them. Very easy to
conceal with nothing more than a tee shirt of proper size. Just
one example. And it's faster and easier to get to than a pocket
knife except maybe some oho tactical folders.

4.Compliance, guess I'm lucky here. I live in north east Tn and
I can walk around down town with a broadsword if I want. I love
Tennessee.lol. But I know laws change from place to place so
I understand and appreciate the value of compliance.

Anyway, just my opinion. Thanks for reading.

2. Convenience, just imo, I don't find a folder any more convenient. I can
drop my bk14 or my izula in my pocket and they are no less convenient
than a sak or large stockman. I find them equally convenient.

Ah, but a 5 inch blade fixed blade knife doesn't fit in a pocket so easily; a folder with a 5 inch blade does. :)

Stabman, I have no argument there, but I do still find
my listed example under concealment just as convenient.
Maybe even more so due to the pocket staying empty.
I will mention though, since you brought up large folders,
I do love my Cold Steel Rajah ii. :)

Back