1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The Gift of a Blade (saying)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hal, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    I'm not sure if it was here that I first heard it - on the old rec.knives BB or in the rec.knives newsgroup - or possibly the email listserve (which I can't recall the name of)
    However - it doesn't matter where.
    What matters is the what:

"Giving a person a blade is giving that person the means to take your life. What you are telling that person is that you trust your life in their hands."

2. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Was there a question in there somewhere or do you just want to discuss the meaning? Honestly, it's kind of an overly dramatic saying. It's treating a knife as a weapon instead of a tool. A little silly.

Korean Hog, K.O.D., DMG and 3 others like this.
  3. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Cool saying, a little deep, but appropriate. Sounds Eastern in thought. :D I think my level of understanding is closer to "Hand a knife to someone with the handle first." And, another tradition is give a coin when you give a knife so as not to cut the friendship. Lastly, do not catch a falling knife, especially a fixed blade or if it is open, and move your feet!! Lastly, a sharp knife is a safer knife than a dull one. :D No offense meant, just enjoying the conversation.

4. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    When someone receives a blade as a gift, a coin should be offered in return as payment or trade so the blade won't cut the friendship!! Great line from the movie. The Edge.. 1995-6 I believe it came out.. Its something that I have continued to do since then. Not sure why, I just like it the premise!!

DangerZone98 and jideta like this.
  5. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I don’t agree with the original post at all.

what you are telling them is you aren’t afraid of them even if they have a knife.

Retired Marine Corp General James Mattis “Always be polite, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet”

Korean Hog, DMG and jideta like this.
  6. Hal

Hal

Feb 26, 1999
    Ironic because the late BF original moderator, James Mattis - could well have been the one that I was quoting. Two names the same & two far different outlooks on people.

7. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Some Thai people have a similar superstition. They offer to sell it for a coin.

jfk1110 likes this.
  8. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    Early this morning I gave my nephew my Rat Cutlery RC3 Rat Pack knife. He’s going on his first deer hunt this weekend.
    No coins , no superstitions and no underlying meanings.
    Just a gift for my nephew because I love him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Lee D, Bastler, eveled and 2 others like this.
  9. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    We should avoid everything that portrays a knife as a primary instrument to take a life. It’s attitudes like this that keep orgs like Knife Rights busy.

Aside from the reckless portrayal of a blade as a murder weapon, the remaining concept is insipid.

10. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    It's neat saying for sure. However, I dont usually mess with superstitious payments and all that.

If I give someone a knife, which I have done many times, all I ask is that you pay it forward one day. I think that if you ever find yourself in a position to give freely, do so. If you ever find yourself in a position where an unexpected gift/helping hand is offered, remember that kindness. You are only "borrowing" it and should make sure to pass it on to the next when you can.

jfk1110 likes this.
  11. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    As others said, I don't believe in superstition. Also, we should try to maintain knives as tools and not weapons. There are way better ways to kill people. We need to keep the target off blades or we'll end up like the UK. especially in this current political predicament.

12. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Different knives “say” different things
    image.jpg
    And what your gifting an who your gifting it to “say” more

Richard338 and jfk1110 like this.
  13. Knives&Lint

Knives&Lint DOES Go Chasing Waterfalls Platinum Member

May 10, 2013
    I don't believe in superstition either, it's bad luck :D

My Grandmother, who imparted more wisdom upon me with just a few short sayings than most of my education and a lifetime of reading, held the superstition that it was bad luck to give a knife as a gift and insisted on the coin trading. This however, is not I tradition that I have continued. I think a knife makes a great gift. I do still eat my greens and black-eyed peas on New Year's day though ;).

14. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Guess you should not give someone a cane or a walking stick..... a tool to take a life. Set of tools... same thing. It's a lot of BS.

Tell me how giving a SAK is anything but a simple present that has any relation to taking your life. There may be some trust involved, but not self preservation.

15. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    It's fun to search knife quotes and click view all.

16. jideta

jideta Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I heard/experienced this also.
    Said it was a Chinese thing...

jfk1110 likes this.
  17. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    I"m gonna guess Mad Dog meant that quote for Marines in combat. Not for someone at home opening a gift from family or friends.

eveled likes this.
  18. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Funny , it is a saying here in Macedonia .

jfk1110 likes this.
  19. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    "Knives are like credit cards; don't leave home without 'em and always carry several"-Richard Marcinko:thumbsup::cool:

So many members here follow this idea religiously. I'm to the point where I've just about always got at least 3 knives
    between my pants, truck, and bag whether I mean to carry that many or not, they're in there and sit till I need them or
    find them :rolleyes::rolleyes:again...
    Luckily, I am not quite this loose with my credit cards :D

The gift of a blade? I think around here that goes about as far as "the gift of a blade" being the perfect go-to
    for any of our families and friends looking to buy us a gift and... our friends and family being tired of "the gift of a blade"
    every stinkin' birthday and Christmas they know exactly what's up. Might mix it up this year and get 'em Multi-tools and/ or
    flash lights ;)

jfk1110 likes this.
  20. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Honestly, it depends on the knife I think. Something like a traditional slipjoint or lockback makes for a fine gift, and those knives don’t really fall in the weapons category. But something like a Bowie or trench knife? That kind of gift may mean something different.

I know a guy who gave a Kukri as a gift to a business partner, but then again he already knew the recipient was fond of knives.