The Gift of a Blade (saying)

Hal

I'm not sure if it was here that I first heard it - on the old rec.knives BB or in the rec.knives newsgroup - or possibly the email listserve (which I can't recall the name of)
However - it doesn't matter where.
What matters is the what:

"Giving a person a blade is giving that person the means to take your life. What you are telling that person is that you trust your life in their hands."

Was there a question in there somewhere or do you just want to discuss the meaning? Honestly, it's kind of an overly dramatic saying. It's treating a knife as a weapon instead of a tool. A little silly.

Cool saying, a little deep, but appropriate. Sounds Eastern in thought. :D I think my level of understanding is closer to "Hand a knife to someone with the handle first." And, another tradition is give a coin when you give a knife so as not to cut the friendship. Lastly, do not catch a falling knife, especially a fixed blade or if it is open, and move your feet!! Lastly, a sharp knife is a safer knife than a dull one. :D No offense meant, just enjoying the conversation.

When someone receives a blade as a gift, a coin should be offered in return as payment or trade so the blade won't cut the friendship!! Great line from the movie. The Edge.. 1995-6 I believe it came out.. Its something that I have continued to do since then. Not sure why, I just like it the premise!!

I don’t agree with the original post at all.

what you are telling them is you aren’t afraid of them even if they have a knife.

Retired Marine Corp General James Mattis “Always be polite, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet”

what you are telling them is you aren’t afraid of them even if they have a knife.

Retired Marine Corp General James Mattis “Always be polite, be professional, have a plan to kill everyone you meet”
Ironic because the late BF original moderator, James Mattis - could well have been the one that I was quoting. Two names the same & two far different outlooks on people.

When someone receives a blade as a gift, a coin should be offered in return as payment or trade so the blade won't cut the friendship!! Great line from the movie. The Edge.. 1995-6 I believe it came out.. Its something that I have continued to do since then. Not sure why, I just like it the premise!!

Some Thai people have a similar superstition. They offer to sell it for a coin.

Early this morning I gave my nephew my Rat Cutlery RC3 Rat Pack knife. He’s going on his first deer hunt this weekend.
No coins , no superstitions and no underlying meanings.
Just a gift for my nephew because I love him.

Wlzp1aa.jpg

Last edited:
We should avoid everything that portrays a knife as a primary instrument to take a life. It’s attitudes like this that keep orgs like Knife Rights busy.

Aside from the reckless portrayal of a blade as a murder weapon, the remaining concept is insipid.

It's neat saying for sure. However, I dont usually mess with superstitious payments and all that.

If I give someone a knife, which I have done many times, all I ask is that you pay it forward one day. I think that if you ever find yourself in a position to give freely, do so. If you ever find yourself in a position where an unexpected gift/helping hand is offered, remember that kindness. You are only "borrowing" it and should make sure to pass it on to the next when you can.

As others said, I don't believe in superstition. Also, we should try to maintain knives as tools and not weapons. There are way better ways to kill people. We need to keep the target off blades or we'll end up like the UK. especially in this current political predicament.

Different knives “say” different things
image.jpg
And what your gifting an who your gifting it to “say” more

I don't believe in superstition either, it's bad luck :D

My Grandmother, who imparted more wisdom upon me with just a few short sayings than most of my education and a lifetime of reading, held the superstition that it was bad luck to give a knife as a gift and insisted on the coin trading. This however, is not I tradition that I have continued. I think a knife makes a great gift. I do still eat my greens and black-eyed peas on New Year's day though ;).

Guess you should not give someone a cane or a walking stick..... a tool to take a life. Set of tools... same thing. It's a lot of BS.

Tell me how giving a SAK is anything but a simple present that has any relation to taking your life. There may be some trust involved, but not self preservation.

I heard/experienced this also.
Said it was a Chinese thing...

I"m gonna guess Mad Dog meant that quote for Marines in combat. Not for someone at home opening a gift from family or friends.

Funny , it is a saying here in Macedonia .
Gift a Knife: Include a Penny
For reasons historians have not reached a consensus on, somewhere along the line – way back in the line, hundreds (maybe thousands) of years ago – people came to believe that giving a knife as a gift meant bad luck for the relationship.

In another words, the knife would metaphorically “cut” the ties that bind two people. This affect is even worse if the recipient is your significant other – some believe the love will soon end after the knife is given as a gift or that a knife as a wedding gift will severe the bonds of marriage.

No one wants a gift like that!

That’s why, long before rationality and science started replacing superstition, a tradition began in which those who gift a knife also attach a coin to the blade or include it with the gift. Even a penny will do. The receiver of the knife then gives the penny to the gift-giver, thus “paying” them for the knife and keeping the relationship intact.

Sound weird? That’s because it is. But so is throwing salt over your shoulder, not walking under ladders and expecting seven years bad luck when you break a mirror.

The Origin of the Coin Tradition
As with most superstitions, the exact reason – if ever there was one – is lost in the sands of time. But a simple Google search indicates the topic still comes up often, with many knife sellers saying customers frequently ask them about including a penny or other coin with their gift.

The general consensus remains that since a knife has a blade, it can symbolize cutting something. And in more modern times, a penny has always been considered good luck.

Before the penny existed, finding any kind of metal seemed good fortune, like a gift from the gods. So including any kind of coin did the trick with a knife gift.

So in addition to providing the recipient a chance to symbolically buy the blade with a coin, the coin provides good luck to cancel out the bad luck of the knife.

The superstition remains so well known to this day that Masakage, the Japanese knife-maker, includes a five-yen coin in knife boxes.

So should you include a penny or other coin with your knife gift? Well, it is 2016, after all, and a true fan knows that a quality knife is an absolutely fantastic present. A knife gift is not bad luck, it’s just a really good gift to the right person.

Still, if you know the recipient has a superstitious streak – or you just want an opportunity to tell the coin-with-knife story – than go ahead and include one.

It could make your already excellent gift that much more memorable.

"Knives are like credit cards; don't leave home without 'em and always carry several"-Richard Marcinko:thumbsup::cool:

So many members here follow this idea religiously. I'm to the point where I've just about always got at least 3 knives
between my pants, truck, and bag whether I mean to carry that many or not, they're in there and sit till I need them or
find them :rolleyes::rolleyes:again...
Luckily, I am not quite this loose with my credit cards :D

The gift of a blade? I think around here that goes about as far as "the gift of a blade" being the perfect go-to
for any of our families and friends looking to buy us a gift and... our friends and family being tired of "the gift of a blade"
every stinkin' birthday and Christmas they know exactly what's up. Might mix it up this year and get 'em Multi-tools and/ or
flash lights ;)

Honestly, it depends on the knife I think. Something like a traditional slipjoint or lockback makes for a fine gift, and those knives don’t really fall in the weapons category. But something like a Bowie or trench knife? That kind of gift may mean something different.

I know a guy who gave a Kukri as a gift to a business partner, but then again he already knew the recipient was fond of knives.

Back