Review The Glock knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Glock knife from a friend of mine as I bought him a knife recently. And he really wanted me to beat the hell out of it together with him.

I know that some of the stuff we did with it isn't really intended use for a knife, and is pretty much abuse. That being said, it is even mild compared to the stuff I did with some other knives.

First impressions:
1. lightly rounded tip and few slight rolls on part of not that sharp edge...
Grind not symmetrical, and is generally bad, but considering the price - I'll cut them some slack.

2. Comfortable handle and nice and functional sheath. Ambidextrous, no complaints here.

3. The knife comes oiled with something that smells awful.

Maintenance:
It's ridiculously time consuming to sharpen for a carbon steel. It is hard to get it sharp.
Coating is rather easy to peel off so you'll need to oil it a lot.

Usage:

1. Handle is comfortable and has no hot spots. It did get slippy when wet.

2. Guard is sometimes getting in the way, but it's still better to have it than not to have it.

3. Terrible for slicing, not much better for chopping.

4. It has nice balance to it so I can see why would army use it.

5. Beer opener does the job well.

Steel performance:

1. Terrible, simply TERRIBLE edge retention.

2. Surprisingly decent for batoning (but that is kinda useless considering you'll probably never need to baton at all) but will also damage your baton.

3. My friend actually bent the tip on an accident. He used it to pry off tree bark for no particular reason. And what shocked me the most is that I was able to straighten it back by stabbing into wood and prying in the other direction?!?!

4. I was throwing it just for fun, solid thrower, tip again got bent, straightened and then bent in another direction. But edge did suffer from some rolls, despite being very obtuse.

5. I did some batoning again just for fun and when I came home I noticed that entire knife has some curve to it.

To sum it up:
That's a bayonet or sharpened pry bar. It sucks as a knife. It's just soft steel.

The best thing about this knife is bottle opener.

Intended use of this is probably just lots of stabbing and sometimes prying, I can't see steel this soft breaking, you don't really need edge retention on something you use to stab.

It is a good bayonet or field knife.
But it performs rather poor as general use or bushcraft knife. It can still do these tasks - just not that good.

We lost it somewhere after that, I think beer has played role in there tho.

IDK. I've got a 78 & 81 and seen a few use tests that indicate that they hold up pretty well.

That said, I've never had any intention of ever using them. Just bought them because they are Glock branded knives and because I own a lot of Glock branded guns/mags and some Glock branded gear.

So. the "performance" of these knives doesn't really matter to me.

Thanks for the honest review.
I actually just got two of these because I had heard about them being discontinued. I got one with the saw and one without. Mostly just got them for sentimental reasons, because I had one when I was about 12 or 13. I had found them at a gun show and thought because it was made by Glock it must be cool and work well.lol. Eventually, I don't remember what happened to it, but it's nice to have a replacement just for the memories.

I used to own one. I liked the bottle opener and was impressed with the design. Especially how the knife locked into the scabbard. Very comfortable grip also.

I personally would have liked to see Glock offer a model with a shorter, thinner blade.

I used to own one. I liked the bottle opener and was impressed with the design. Especially how the knife locked into the scabbard. Very comfortable grip also.

I personally would have liked to see Glock offer a model with a shorter, thinner blade.
I totally agree with this.

Shorter, thinner and probably heat treated to slightly higher hardness. To make the blade more slicey and to improve edge retention, and probably ease od sharpening too.

No complaints on handle and sheath though.

Thanks for the honest review.
I actually just got two of these because I had heard about them being discontinued. I got one with the saw and one without. Mostly just got them for sentimental reasons, because I had one when I was about 12 or 13. I had found them at a gun show and thought because it was made by Glock it must be cool and work well.lol. Eventually, I don't remember what happened to it, but it's nice to have a replacement just for the memories.
Where did you hear that?
In Europe they are all over available.
This week I bought quite a few of the all black Glock FM 78's. In Belgium.
I e-mailed Glock company the beginning of this year and they confirmed that they are being produced, and not quitting.

Having one of these myself, agree with the assessment. However, the Glock knife is a more than decent throwing knife and if the price was right I would buy another for just that purpose
I agree on this.
It's not the best knife for knife tasks.
It does seem to hold up for throwing well. But the tip does have a tendency to bend rather easy.
It's a poker mainly. But my Mora 731 and 748MG are even better at that (think of clothes/gear etc.)

I E-mailed Glock company again this month.
The Glock FM-78 is still in production. In all black only. But this , only black version, is already for quite a while now.
So for all those that want to buy one. They are still being produced.
The FM-81 (sawback) comes in several colors.

Last edited:
This comment aged well, guess what happened to mine...
Yeah, the tip does bend more easy than on my Mora 731 or 748MG. The Mora 511 is also tougher regarding sticking the tip into wood and then bending the knife. Not good things to do with a knife ofcourse. But it showed how easily the Glock tip bent. The tip doesn't break quickly , but bends like a piece of iron wire.

I wanted one of these initially, back in the day. Back before I could even own a handgun, when Tommy Lee Jones in US Marshals made Glock "THE GUN" to have. However, after shooting my cousin's Glock 24 which has been his carry gun in the FBI for 16 years, I didn't share TLJ's sentiment. Never did end up buying the knife. I ended up buying a SOG Seal Pup instead. I figured, well I have no plans to buy a Glock, why have the Glock knife.

So many years later, I am not surprised it is not too good. Seems most firearm brand knives are not the best, the exception being the ones like SIG and HK that farm theirs out to quality manufacturers.

I wanted one of these initially, back in the day. Back before I could even own a handgun, when Tommy Lee Jones in US Marshals made Glock "THE GUN" to have. However, after shooting my cousin's Glock 24 which has been his carry gun in the FBI for 16 years, I didn't share TLJ's sentiment. Never did end up buying the knife. I ended up buying a SOG Seal Pup instead. I figured, well I have no plans to buy a Glock, why have the Glock knife.

So many years later, I am not surprised it is not too good. Seems most firearm brand knives are not the best, the exception being the ones like SIG and HK that farm theirs out to quality manufacturers.
The Glock knife was being made before their guns.
It's more of a bayonet/stabbing tool.
Though , having tested that, I prefer the Mora 731 or 748MG over it, The tips of the Mora's, and edge, are razor sharp out of the box. Better , more comfortable handle also.
And it cuts better as well. Try whittling with a Glock knife.. highly unpleasent.

Though some guys swear by it , being one of the best throwing knives.
Which was one of its requirements , being good as a throwing knife.

Last edited:
I just got a Glock knife from a friend of mine as I bought him a knife recently. And he really wanted me to beat the hell out of it together with him.

I know that some of the stuff we did with it isn't really intended use for a knife, and is pretty much abuse. That being said, it is even mild compared to the stuff I did with some other knives.

First impressions:
1. lightly rounded tip and few slight rolls on part of not that sharp edge...
Grind not symmetrical, and is generally bad, but considering the price - I'll cut them some slack.

2. Comfortable handle and nice and functional sheath. Ambidextrous, no complaints here.

3. The knife comes oiled with something that smells awful.

Maintenance:
It's ridiculously time consuming to sharpen for a carbon steel. It is hard to get it sharp.
Coating is rather easy to peel off so you'll need to oil it a lot.

Usage:

1. Handle is comfortable and has no hot spots. It did get slippy when wet.

2. Guard is sometimes getting in the way, but it's still better to have it than not to have it.

3. Terrible for slicing, not much better for chopping.

4. It has nice balance to it so I can see why would army use it.

5. Beer opener does the job well.

Steel performance:

1. Terrible, simply TERRIBLE edge retention.

2. Surprisingly decent for batoning (but that is kinda useless considering you'll probably never need to baton at all) but will also damage your baton.

3. My friend actually bent the tip on an accident. He used it to pry off tree bark for no particular reason. And what shocked me the most is that I was able to straighten it back by stabbing into wood and prying in the other direction?!?!

4. I was throwing it just for fun, solid thrower, tip again got bent, straightened and then bent in another direction. But edge did suffer from some rolls, despite being very obtuse.

5. I did some batoning again just for fun and when I came home I noticed that entire knife has some curve to it.

To sum it up:
That's a bayonet or sharpened pry bar. It sucks as a knife. It's just soft steel.

The best thing about this knife is bottle opener.

Intended use of this is probably just lots of stabbing and sometimes prying, I can't see steel this soft breaking, you don't really need edge retention on something you use to stab.

It is a good bayonet or field knife.
But it performs rather poor as general use or bushcraft knife. It can still do these tasks - just not that good.

We lost it somewhere after that, I think beer has played role in there tho.
I just purchased the Chinese copy of a Glock 78 knife, a.k.a. the Bundeswehr MI220. I wanted a 78 but they are all sold out in the USA and I'm too cheap to import one from overseas. I was expecting a poorly finished knife, but instead, I got:
- Even grinds
- Sharp edge
- Clean knife with no odors
- Nice, finished surfaces with even coating and etching
- Almost 3" tang
- No play whatsoever between the blade, guard, or handle.

The only thing I'm wondering about is edge retention and toughness of the "stainless" blade, but based on your review, it can't be any worse than your Glock. I am pleasantly surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back