The Gnome Ranger

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
E1kC0gR.jpg

more to come...

I must confess to seeing this BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats buddy, I'm green with jealousy and it's fitting on St. Patrick's Day!!!!

for those interested, the backstory of this knife more or less started with this little sketch;

OG4HYaG.jpg

I've always been very interested in bowies of the Searles persuasion, and that's how it started, but the knife morphed into something more closely approximates Adam's style;

DnSowc8.jpg

here's a shot Adam sent, where you can he how he incorporated some of the ideas I put on paper, but concluded with something which something that's immediately recognizable as his work;

2ESZe90.jpg

Stuart Branson has kindly agreed to build a sheath for this knife, which I'll follow up on once he's done

That is suhweet! I didn't see at first until you showed your sketches, but I just noticed Adam did in fact add a top grind. That parkerizing does a great job of absorbing any light and making everything look completely uniform. I love the Ivory (micarta?) colored handle too, such a great contrast.. and those facets!

I'm curious as to what steel was used, mostly due to the size and shape of the parent bar stock shown in the pic with the forge. I always enjoy your threads that start with a concept and a sketch and end with the selected maker making it a reality with his own style. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

(edit: Just watched the first video, g10 and W2 it is; beautiful and tough as nails combo)

Thanks for sharing. :)

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Last edited:
thanks! The handle faceting wasn't something that I anticipated beforehand, so when Adam offered it as an option I didn't really have an answer, so I left that decision to him. Good call on my part, (pats self on back)!

This was a humbling experience for me. I've looked up to Adam for many years, maybe since I read Jason Knight's article in Blade about Adam and Haley's swashbuckling, Conan themed wedding. I've gotten to know him personally since, and found that Adam is a truly righteous dude. To me, this knife is as special an object in my possession as anything else, and I greatly look forward to swinging it around for the rest of my days!

Adam sent me this photo :D

RIILh6P.jpg

Congratulations!

Rolling down the cuffs of your Xtra Tuffs is a fashion "do." Glad I'm not the only one who knows it.

Back