The Good Knife Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, alright, alright! 1st things 1st, I want to thank everyone who has been following our journey to this point. It's happened a lot faster than I would've expected and there has been a ton of good conversation behind the scenes. It's been very exciting but a whole lot of "new" for us to work through to make this happen. This post will be getting updated as I get some of the "business" things out of the way. I will be sharing some of the story of how we got to where we are, where I'm trying to take us, and the big "why" behind some of my choices.

1. Why "The Good Knife Co." for a company name?

I have always been a person that thought doing good for other people is a great and challenging endeavor and is never a waste of time. I've more recently begun to see business as a vehicle for doing this. The Good Knife Co.'s purpose can roughly be summed up as allowing me do good deeds, like charitable giving, through knife sales and services. I also plan to be selective in those I partner with to maximize this purpose through other people's efforts. 1st and foremost, partnering with good people, like John, and not people or companies with some sketchiness going on behind the scenes. This last piece will be more important as things grow.

My primary giving opportunities for The Good Knife Co. will be centered around military/veterans and conservation. Right now, 10% of all profits from knife sales are destined for The Mighty Oaks Foundation. The 10% was chosen because that is a standard for a Tithe so it sets a baseline. The rest is destined for reinvestment into the company so I can grow my potential impact in the future. I fully intend for that 10% to increase as the business grows.

More to come throughout the holiday season as I get more of this written out.

I will also be posting what I have for sale in this thread.

Last edited:
Contact Info:
Chad Rector
Email: GoodKnifeCo@gmail.com
Private messages are good through the forum as well. I will expand this section as more methods of communication are created.

Dollars donated to The Mighty Oaks Foundation:
$0 (will begin tracking that here for transparency)
Last Updated 12/2/19

Last edited:
Services Offered:
Free sharpening for all JK handmade knives and Good Knives.
Terms:
  • You get it to me and I take care of the rest.
  • If you have a special request like thinning and edge or you need some chips or dings worked out, please let me know in our discussion before sending me your knife.

The Good Knife Co. Try-Before-You-Buy Program

How it works: Basically, pick a knife from the list below that you would be interested in renting for a week or more and contact me. The costs are outlined below. Any knife that is unavailable will be marked as such.

Cost: $26 plus shipping via Paypal goods and services
$20 is a security deposit and will be returned.
$5 can be applied to a Good Knife Co. or JK knives purchase within 30 days of the end of the rental period.

Security deposit fine print: Security deposits will be returned as soon as I receive the knife back and excessive damage, like a broken knife, is deemed absent after inspection. Some chips may be acceptable as long as it doesn't look like you tried to baton a brick of engine block, I'm going to pretty lenient here. If this policy gets abused, I will change it. Basically, I expect people to use the knife as if it was theirs and not all people treat their knives well. Paypal goods and services do not protect against non-returned or damaged items so until I can find a better method, this is how I must proceed. Using goods and services for the deposit only results in additional fees without added protections for either of us.

Shipping (round trip):
  1. About $20 for medium-sized knives (12”x3”x3” and 2 lbs, UPS).
  2. About $10.50 for small knives (under 8” OAL, 8”x3”x3” and under 1 lb, USPS 1st class)
  3. For multiple knife orders, shipping will depend on total weight.
    1. For multiple small knives, UPS will be used if over 1 lb, $17.30 round trip.
    2. For multiple large knives, UPS will be used, $25
Benefit to customer: Customers get to try a product at a reduced price rather than buying new and then reselling it later. This reduces their cost risk while fine-tuning their desires for the knife if going custom, or to get a better idea on what model they would actually like.

$5 from the rental will be applied towards the purchase of a new knife. If multiple knives are rented, there is still only the $5 credit but shipping costs will be lower per knife.

Late Fees: If given 48hr notice and only for an additional week, $6, standard rental rate. If no notice is given, $10 and you have 1 more week to use and then return the knife. After 2 weeks, I keep the $20 deposit. After a month, you go onto the shit list and will no longer be allowed to do business with me and I will be sure to post about the theft into the good, bad, and ugly forum so you can't swindle others. Because of the replacement value of the items, legal action may be taken. Please don't be this guy/gal!

Knives available for Try-Before-You-Buy (album links in the text):
  1. JK Kephart
  2. JK Element Hunter in S30V, Straight back customization
  3. JK Mud Turtle
  4. JK Personal Camp
  5. JK Rule #9
  6. JK Muddy Camp
  7. JK Pocket Kephart
  8. GK Co. Pocket Woodcrafter
  9. GK Co. Sick nasty
  10. JK Bluegill
  11. JK Element EDC
  12. JK Deluxe Hurley Creek

Last edited:
The Sick Nasty: takes its inspiration from the spey blade pattern of traditional folders, modified to have more edge in order to function as a perfect modern everyday fixed blade carry option. The curve near the heel of the blade gives it that great slicing action in both forward and backward movements.

As a knife designer, I’ve tried to pack as much belly into The Sick Nasty as I could. As a result of working with JK Knives, like a traditional spey blade pattern, it is an exceptional slicer with a strong tip that is useful but not so fine and stabby that it easily penetrates things you don't want to pierce. The Sick Nasty's palm filling handle is made from roughed micarta that provides an optimal amount of purchase and grip.

It's an optimal small game cleaning knife, but much more substantial in the hand as compared to a caping blade and certainly isn't limited to that task alone. It really surprises on the kitchen cutting board, despite its short blade length and will serve well as a compact camp kitchen knife for the weight-conscious outdoorsman.

Designed by me and made by JK Handmade Knives.

The price is $130 shipped for the knife and add $15 for a leather pocket sheath. There are 3 knives and 2 pocket sheaths currently available.

Here are the Specs

Blade: 3/32" thick O1 tool steel
Blade Length: 2 5/8" blade length
Handle Length: 4" handle length
Handle materials: Black micarta with aluminum pins, hollow pin at the rear
Weight without sheath: 2.6 oz

These are individually handmade so slight variations between knives can be present. Different handle options are available by special order for $15 extra for most handle materials.

Gr4SlwXl.jpg

o2miltMl.jpg

Udi6wK9l.jpg

N1CJG6Xl.jpg

XOaMLKml.jpg

A3K9cydl.jpg

Sxxm0wyl.jpg

Customer picture with the try-before-you-buy knife
fsqAQthl.jpg

Last edited:
The pocket woodcrafter is a nice little knife for woodworking and fire starting. It’s a compact bushcraft knife with a short blade that is capable because it has a full-length grip and neutral handle style that allows for many grips styles. The elevated tip lengthens the belly while acting as a perch for your forefinger or thumb, giving increased control of the tip and belly.

This knife is perfect for the outdoorsman who wants a lightweight and compact knife for starting fires, working wood, and some food prep while still being a good option for EDC.

Designed by me and made by JK Handmade Knives.

The price is $130 shipped for the knife and add $15 for a leather pocket sheath. There are 4 knives and 1 pocket sheath currently available.

Here are the specs

Blade Steel: O1 Tool Steel
Hardness: 58-59 RC
Heat Treated by: JK Handmade Knives
Blade Grind: Scandivex
Blade Thickness: 3/32”
Blade Length: 2 1/2”
Blade Width: 0.69”
Handle Material: Black Micarta
Handle Length: 3 7/8”
Handle Thickness: 0.59” at thickest point
Handle Width: 0.65” at center
Overall Length: 6 5/8”
Weight: 2.3 oz

These are individually handmade so slight variations between knives can be present. Different handle options are available by special order for $15 extra for most handle materials.

8edFwdTl.jpg

YpofjxMl.jpg

IgXBUn5l.jpg

Last edited:
The first Michigan Utility knife is for sale. The steel used ran a little thinner in the blade area so it's not the typical 3/32" so this will be an even slicker slicer.

Price: $235

Rough Specs:
1/16" thick spine
O1 tool steel hardened to 58
3.75" blade
4.5" handle
Padauk wood handle
Saber grind

Includes a thick leather pouch sheath

Bocote is sold already
O2KqwXel.jpg

A74PnE0l.jpg

zpEGa2hl.jpg

OELEHYJl.jpg

IzjLysdl.jpg

cFAnqWll.jpg

This is a great slicer and has a very useful point many tasks around the house, yard, woods, and more. The handle is full and comfy. I designed this knife with the idea that it would cover almost any task us Michiganders would deal within a given day, from farming to cooking to bushcraft.

Price: $225

Rough Specs:
3/32" at the spine
3.75" blade
4.5" handle
Black canvas micarta handle
Saber grind

XKs2Mi1l.jpg

lt714bUl.jpg

Un6jVhFl.jpg

Last edited:
The bushcamp is now available for sale. I designed this knife to excel around the camping environment with a bent towards bushcraft. The high point makes it a pleasure for push cutting feathers sticks or cutting on a cutting board or log. The scandivex grind does a great job moving wood around while still performing admirably cutting up your favorite meats and potatoes for your meal over a campfire.

The handle is neutral so it can accommodate plenty of hand positions. The spine is sharp near the handle for striking a ferro rod or scraping but rounded in the 1/2 towards the tip so it's easy on the fingers for carving or batoning.

Price: $215

Rough specs:

1/8" thick at spine
4.25" blade
4.5" handle
Black canvas micarta handle
scandivex grind

ASFedKyl.jpg

EtFbVf7l.jpg

E2mzG75l.jpg