The Great Divide: Felling and Bucking Wedge Thread

46eaVeK.jpg

I’ve seen discussion on splitting wedges but no dedicated thread on felling and bucking wedges. Does anyone get into vintage wedges? These are some of my favorites!

The little 1lb bolt pattern wedge is a Hubbard and the other small one is an Occident from Seattle Hardware.
JoK0jEs.jpg

The two grey ones in front are magnesium not aluminum. They were only produced during a relatively short period between 1935-55. They are super light for their size. They seem even lighter than aluminum.the larger of these two is almost 10” long and barely over a pound.
9sIHnZ7.jpg
keEgNBl.jpg
The two likely blacksmith made wedges would probably be attached to each other with a rope so they could be packed easier and slung over something like your shoulder. They are about 6lb each
FFcXS2f.jpg
The big wide ones, are these for bucking and not felling or are they just giant and wide?
The massive Titan 10lb wedge is 13” x 7”, and the 7lb Skookum is 10” x 7”.
tSw6YB9.jpg
CD8cC0C.jpg
VN6UYbr.jpg
And the enormous felling wedges are a 8lb Acme that is in amazing condition with original paint and a barely hammered on poll is 17.5” long, and the mammoth sized felling wedge is unmarked but it is 21” long and about 13.5 pounds.
5-C21603-A-F8-BC-4572-8-ACB-E086-F61053-A9.jpg

8G9zn4k.jpg

(Funny that last picture makes the 8lb Acme look longer than the 21” one, but it is not, it is 4” shorter and diminutive in stature compared to the 13.5lb wedge.)

I’d like to learn more about these. The timeline that they went from steel, to magnesium, to aluminum, and finally plastic. I’d also like to discover what brand used the circle with an “I” in it?

Last edited:
Great thread! I've always looked for falling wedges while out and about. But while there is (or was) a lot of axes to find around here there's not much else in the way of old logging tools. So I appreciate the pics so I can collect vicariously through you guys! At least I learn what I'm looking for. Those are some gorgeous falling wedges guys! I think a wedge might be a great thing to try making first once I get some sort of forge made. Can't wait to see other additions!

I passed up on broad axe heads, a froe, a beautiful Plumb cruiser that will haunt my dreams for years to come, and many felling wedges as "we're gonna see an even bigger antique store tomorrow!". We never did. But, a wedge or two has still come into my life.
DSC-1203.jpg
IMG-2958.jpg

Middle school gym class was ok...high school gym with the mandatory week of square dancing...why!?:D:(:confused:

Wedges from the East Coast:cool:

20190819-160051.jpg

20190819-160142.jpg

20190819-160146.jpg

20190819-160151.jpg

I have found these three in the past two years.
Splitting wedges, you cant walk into a yard or garage without finding 3 of those:D

A lot of those with the holes in the side, are hanging wedges. Used in pairs tied together, with the grain, across a kerf while bucking, to keep things from rolling too soon.

The cord between can be hooked on a limb, or an axe chop on the solid side, to keep ahold them once knocked out to turn things loose.

I have made a couple pairs, don't have any vintage ones....

A lot of those with the holes in the side, are hanging wedges. Used in pairs tied together, with the grain, across a kerf while bucking, to keep things from rolling too soon.

The cord between can be hooked on a limb, or an axe chop on the solid side, to keep ahold them once knocked out to turn things loose.

I have made a couple pairs, don't have any vintage ones....

Thanks M muleman77

I remember reading or watching about the hanging wedges used across the kerf when bucking.
A great reminder for me, thanks man.

I had erased the square dancing from my memory. LoL

I wish i could...:confused::eek::rolleyes:

That Dodge Ball are tooooo risky nowadays ;)

Tell you what, square dancing my freshmen year left a mark lol!
We did not have a choice in partner for the week and mine would be...the girlfriend of this not so pleasant senior.
He and his sidekick met me the next morning at my locker, jacked me right up out of now where. I never had a chance the pricks.
I survived.
I dont square dance.
Similar to algebra, though a class i NEVER got beat up for, I have never had to employ my learned square dance technique :mad::eek:

Miller, I never got to learn square dancing. That's something I thought I would like.
You guys have some interesting wedges. I just always used the same wedges for everything. Which is mostly splitting and felling. They really
come in handy when bucking up a large tree trunk. Thanks for this topic. DM

Miller, I never got to learn square dancing. That's something I thought I would like.
You guys have some interesting wedges. I just always used the same wedges for everything. Which is mostly splitting and felling. They really
come in handy when bucking up a large tree trunk. Thanks for this topic. DM

Thanks Dave, your splitting of the hardest oak known to man, i dont think anyone needs to tell you this.
I think wedges are an essential tool, perhaps not every situation calls for the need, but if you dont have the wedge with you...you will need it.

Square dancing was fun and would be fun today, but not to many people break out into square dancing here anymore. Of course i dont go out dancing so how would i really know lol!

I didn't know there were so many different wedges for different uses. That's one reason I enjoy this Forum as I learn so much. I'm mostly a grunt wood cutter, get it split and into the barn. So, we can heat our home. Whereas some men on here do so much more duties than just cutting fire wood. Thus, the need for different tools is impressive.
There is a group of square dancers that meet not far away and I may attend to learn the steps. Thanks, DM

Back