The Great Northwest Blade Forging & Knife Exposition

Heads up for the ABS Hammer-in coming to Spokane Washington on Oct. 22-24, 2004 Im pretty excited because this is a local American Bladesmith Society event and James Batson himself called and asked if I wanted to do a demonstration! Nervously I said Oh hell Yes! I have the info flyers if anybody wants one just email me your smail mail address. There is a $125 pre-registration fee. Here are the demonstrators mostly our local smiths.

Steve Schwarzer...damascus finishes and lock back folders
Bob Kramer...........blade forging and steel to sharpened blade
Shane Taylor........handles & guards
Jerry Fisk.............ABS Cutting Contest and forged blade grinding
Billy Ray Hughes....ABS JS and MS judging criteria
Josh Smith...........Hands on bladesmithing for beginners
Wade Colter.........Barrels, Blades & Heat Treating with Salts
Ed Caffrey...........Axes and Tomahawks
Bruce Bump.........Barrels and Blades
Rick Dunkerly.......Fancy Liner Locks
John Davis and Gary House...Basic Damascus Steel
Ed Schempp & Matt Diskin.....Production Damascus Steel
Tom Clark............Air Hammer Demos

My email adress: BruceandKaye@charter.net or go to www.americanbladesmith.com

I would like to show how to make a liner lock pistol knife combo. Think that would be interesting? Also thinking about showing how to make springs for guns including heat treating them in salts.

Bruce you're breakin my heart - but I'll be there in spirit... Good luck, and I hope someone is taking a lot of pictures!

Bruce; It looks like its going to be a good lineup. I would really like to make that one, maybe next year.
For you guys who have never been to one:
Makers, these will take years off of your learning curve. You can watch, listen, and ask questions of the best of the best. You cannot afford to not go.
Collectors; you can use these same seminars to further your knowledge of blades and workmanship. And see some absolutely tremendous work as well.
be cool
mw

Bruce - what a great event! Quite the roundup of knifemakers. Looks to be a real good time. Best of luck!

Bruce,

Can you tell me if the $125 is for a table, or is that for anyone that wants to get in and learn from the makers?

Thanks.

- Mike Routen

Mike yes the registration fee includes a table. Here is the quote from the flyer: "Bring examples of your work for the knife show & auction. Knife show table fee is included in the registration fee. Tail Gate Sales & Suppliers are welcome."

I will send you a flyer if you want. Bruce

See you there .
JD wouldn't let me out of his shop without a sign-up form.
Looking forward to it.
Take Care
TJ

I'm putting this on my calendar right now. Unfortunately I had to work this weekend and miss the MKA show. :(

I diddnt see a few local guys chime in, Rick Leeson, Bill cottrell, Nick wheeler. Any of these fellas gonna go? I sure want to go finally a chance to put the local guys together and meet and visit with some talented guys. Also I was wondering what the lodging options were. Im not real up on hotels( cheap I guess) I prefer a tent. Any thoughts?
Thanks guys see you there. Bob M

I bet most every maker from the northwest will attend. Maybe they allow tents. Call Matt Diskin at 360 730 0451 for more info. It is his property.

Matt lives 1 mile from me ( thats a neighbor out here). He's checking on tents and such. Thanks guys see ya'll there, even if i have to sleep in my truck. Bob M.

Back