The Green Beret Knife

Originally developed as the Yarborough Knife in 2002, since then presented to every graduate of the Special Forces Qualification Course, the Green Beret is its civilian version, if you want so. At the Blade Show in Atlanta, in June 2003, the Yarborough/Green Beret knife was judged “Knife Collaboration of the Year”.

Since 2017 the Green Beret Knife is also available without serrations and additionaly with Flat Dark Earth coating. If you take a closer look at the close-up pics, you will get an idea that this knife is not just a sharpened piece of flat steel bar steel, with 2 micarta scales attached to it, but a masterpiece of design and ergonomics, machined to perfection at the CRK shop.

Bill Harsey is a legend when it comes to military fighting/all purpose knives and once you take the Green Beret Knife in your hand, you'll know why. The ergos are just amazing in each possible handling position.

Finally, for me this is one of the most elegant fixed blade knives out there. ..... Although this was most likely not part of the specs when designing this knife
1f642.png

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 01

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 02

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 03

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 04

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 05

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 06

Green Beret, 7, FDE, 07

Very nice Stefan!! Love the combo of the brown blade with no serrations. Been lusting after a GB for a while. Maybe this Christmas. The one I've always admired is the NICA limited edition Cocobolo handled one, but that's not an easy find. I wish they would do more GB ltds with wood handles. Imagine one with a bocote handle.

Not my pic (thanks Google)

IMG_4448.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Cody, that NICA limited edition is really nice. Did they do only a run with the 5.5" blade? Or also one with the 7" blade?

I just received a 7" gen 1 GB with S30V steel. I have seen some comments calling into question the durability of the GB. Perhaps this knock on the GB stems from the video of the guy breaking it in a vice while hitting it with a sledge hammer. I'm sure there are some knives that would withstand that "test". I however can't see a scenario where I would be putting those stresses on any knife. Is the GB's durability really suspect under normal use?

I have the older Pacific....S30V with serrations. I can’t say I beat on her but I certainly did not hold anything back. She rides along side when I’m cutting grass so if I need to lop a branch, dig up a root or scare away a dangerous squirrel ....she is right there. It has done everything I have asked of her. There is some small wear on the blade and the snap strap seems a little weaker but overall I would still rate her a 9.5. It is one of my favorite fixed blades.

I owned a few back in the day but I found the upper guard/hilt part to be an obstruction for some common grips.

I just received a 7" gen 1 GB with S30V steel. I have seen some comments calling into question the durability of the GB. Perhaps this knock on the GB stems from the video of the guy breaking it in a vice while hitting it with a sledge hammer. I'm sure there are some knives that would withstand that "test". I however can't see a scenario where I would be putting those stresses on any knife. Is the GB's durability really suspect under normal use?
I use my Pacific relatively hard with no worries. I don’t put in a vice and hit it with a sledge, but I baton wood with it and use it for your standard camping chores. I have never worried about it at all. A solid knife. I’m sure the Green Beret is of similar build and durability. The differences between the two knives are mostly cosmetic.

I used my GB to build an overnight shelter for me and my wife, at the end of a Wilderness Survival class. Worked just fine and would not hesitate to rely on it.

Back