Off Topic The Hand Tool thread

Like the title suggests, this thread is for anything that does not currently have a thread, such as hand planes, chisels, pliers, screw drivers, ETC

Where was this six years ago? Now I will literally spend weeks gathering, sorting, cleaning, making lists of, and posting pictures of all my tools. It will be fun to find out if I have over a thousand tools floating around, though.

KTIDaaF.jpg
0yu6B0N.jpg

here's most of my sawsets, one lever and 3 piston styles, the one standing straight up is my disston set, i use this thing for all my hand saws.

the two above the lever are my morrills, top is the 1870's patent, bottom is the 1880's patent, the 80's is just plumb worn out. absolutely useless.
the 70's is much higher quality and beefier, the 80's was cheapened, presumably by the industrial revolution.

lastly, the lever set has claimed many teeth. through trial and much pain i'v determined it's only good for softer, newer saws

Toothing plane. I have used it to glue long sections of wood together. Not convinced that it helps as I don't do that kind of stuff often and have not had a failure either way.

It's cool regardless and it seems like the added glue surface would be a benefit even if it's not needed with modern glues.

I always liked the odd stuff...like the ampco berylco non sparking hand tools..i have found quite a few over the years...
cool 1/4" drive socket set....

Most impressive!

I've never seen so many non-sparking tools together. Do you work around hazardous/flammable materials a lot?

no--I sell on feebay now for the last 13 years...I did work in factories for over 25 years so I gained knowledge of tools...but most everything I have now has come from hard work diligent 4 days a week for 10 years going to garage and estate sales...it has been a lot of work fighting the crowds for what I have found but well worth it....these berylco tools represent a lot of garage sales I went to ands found 1 piece here maybe a couple pieces there---actually has been a lot of fun---the finds ya know....anymore its ya go to 10 sales before ya find a good one to haul something worthwhile home---I have kinda given up the sales chasing...

For information on hand tools I would like to mention some favorite reference books: first for me, as I have mentioned before, is "Ancient Carpenters' Tools" by Henry Mercer; but I also use "Dictionary Of American Hand Tools" by Alvin Sellens; and "Dictionary Of Woodworking Tools" by R. A. Salaman.

HKP

20180826_210224.jpg

44" & 36" the larger two

I have only cleaned and reprofiled the jaws 2nd from the right.
meant to tell ya, i saw a pair of those giant cutters at an antique store fully restored, along side the biggest electric tool i'v ever seen, it was called the toledo pipe threading machine and it looked like a tiny cannon

Back