The handle screw for my XM-24 snapped...

I'm at work right now, but I'll update this with a photo when I get home. Basically, what had happened was, I disassembled my XM-24 for a good, thorough cleaning and lube. I put it back together, and as I was tightening the last handle screw with a correctly sized allen key, and the top of the screw snapped off. I had barely tightened it past "tight", if that makes sense. I was just making sure it was secure, I wasn't torqueing it like crazy, or anything like that. I've done this before and I was able to tighten the other two screws just fine. So now I have the top of one handle screw snapped off, and the other end firmly screwed into the tube that goes inside of the standoff (I don't know what it's called). So, that's where I'm at. I have to admit I'm a little pissed about this, and I'll be contacting the dealer I purchased the screws from to hopefully receive a replacement. I'm not looking for a witch hunt of any kind, but I am curious to know if this has happened to anyone else because this doesn't seem consistent with the quality we've come to expect from Hinderer stuff.

yVkJJLd.jpg

Last edited:
I feel your pain, however it Doesn't seem like a case of “Hinderer stuff” but more likely a case of after market junk stuff.
In no way do I mean any disrespect to you sir but Ive often wondered why people choose to “upgrade” to titanium hardware if this is the case...Titanium is a far less superior material than steel when it comes to fasteners like screws and bolts. Its pretty and can be easily anodized by heat or voltage to just about any color and too many people get wrapped up into customizing there knives this way. Some/most of it is soft like aluminum.

A reverse drill bit and a vise with padded jaws will get the broken piece out with a steady hand, as for the fastener Id buy steel this time around if it was titanium that broke.

I feel your pain, however it Doesn't seem like a case of “Hinderer stuff” but more likely a case of after market junk stuff.
In no way do I mean any disrespect to you sir but Ive often wondered why people choose to “upgrade” to titanium hardware if this is the case...Titanium is a far less superior material than steel when it comes to fasteners like screws and bolts. Its pretty and can be easily anodized by heat or voltage to just about any color and too many people get wrapped up into customizing there knives this way. Some/most of it is soft like aluminum.

No disrespect taken, and I appreciate your comment. I've never had issues with titanium hardware before with other knives, and I certainly didn't expect it to fail just from tightening it with the allen key. I should clarify that I assumed these screws had come from the Hinderer factory, and that's why I referred to them as "Hinderer stuff" but I guess they didn't?

Edit: According to the dealer website, they came from the Hinderer shop. So I guess I'll be sending them an email.

Last edited:
I have a tendency to not insert the short end and pull on the long end of the allen wrench/key.
I insert the long end and use the shorty part for tightening, that ensures I don't get too much leverage on small fasteners.

Just a Tip.

Why would you assume it is not stock Hinder they makes Ti screws. I actually have them in mind I have also returned some for bad machining they were sharp in the end and cutting up my hand a bit where the cut off as on the lathe. I would of ground and rounded them myself but they were anodized. No one is perfect.

Why would you assume it is not stock Hinder they makes Ti screws. I actually have them in mind I have also returned some for bad machining they were sharp in the end and cutting up my hand a bit where the cut off as on the lathe. I would of ground and rounded them myself but they were anodized. No one is perfect.

It's likely because some of us haven't had an issue while others may have. I'm considering a tattoo that reads I Break Shi+...because it's true. But I haven't broken anything Hinderer yet.

I have a problem with one the screws being stripped by tightening the screws a bit on a XM 18, how do I remove the stripped screw ? Any advise guys ? Thanks.

I have a problem with one the screws being stripped by tightening the screws a bit on a XM 18, how do I remove the stripped screw ? Any advise guys ? Thanks.

An ez-out if you have the right size. You might try "Gently" tightening the other screws and see if that lets of the tension on the screw in question but obviously be careful. Make sure you have a clean/quality end on the tool you are using.

Back