The Hinderer bug

I think I have got the Hinderer bug :)

My first contact with hinderer has been through the ZT 0550 gen.3 and ZT 0562cf.
Very good knives and I was fine with them for years.

At least until last December.
I decided to give the ZT 0393 a try and it has impressed me so much that I decided to try a real Hinderer

So I placed an order for a Halft Track gen 2.
This knife has impressed me so much that I have ordered a Slippy.
I am now looking to try a XM-18.... ;)

I will have to sale some knives to fund all this ;)

But I have to say I am really impressed by the construction, action and ergonomics on the half track and Slippy.

I am usually a CRK/Spyderco fanboy, I think the hinderer thing is also growing inside me ;)

I don’t know if others have experienced some designer and felt like a connexion / understanding of the concept of their work but that is great.

When I first got the 0562 I think I didn’t get the purpose of the knife.
As time goes I think I like the approach of Hinderer more and more.

I've got it as well. But I'm too broke to actually buy one, so I'm stuck drooling over pictures on this forum.
This one makes me salivate :).
F2crBHa.jpg

I was just like you, CRK/Spyderco only, until I got a XM18. Now I have two and hardly carry anything else, although today I did finally carry my large Sebenza. The XM18 3.5s just fit my hand perfectly and feel very good in the hand when I use them.

I think I will give a try to 2 XM-18: one flipper and one non flipper ... working finish and dlc stonewash don’t know yet which one will have which finish :)

I've got the RHK - CRK bug. I have a spear point Gen 4 RHK on the way. Sorry to say. I'm anti Gen-6 and I've owned both.

The XM design is hard working and hard to beat. But Id like to leave the bearings in the scrap bin along with the lock bar insert ..

The 3.5 XM fits like a glove. That goes for Gen 6 or previous.

Last edited:
I went through a Hinderer phase and owned 4 of his knives. The 0562 was what got me into them. I like Rick's designs a lot but I don't care for how thick behind the edge they typically are (sheepsfoot was the best that I owned). The other thing I will say is that Hinderer does not always hold their value well. I practically gave away the slipjoint that I had. Luckily I had bought it LNIB from another member rather than new so I didn't really lose much.

I agree that Hinderer knives do not keep their value well. I think it has more to do with the Hinderer/ZT collaborations. If CRK does collaborations with ZT, Spyderco, or Benchmade, CRK knives would not keep as good value as now.

Still, I think XM-18 is better than those Hinderer/ZTs in many aspects (fit and finish, ergo, strength, looking, ti liner, hardware). I know it is just my opinion, which some people may disagree.

Glad to hear more and more people are catching the Hinderer bug again. Hinderer has been on really on top of its game for the past 16-18 months. The tri way pivot was genius and the quality coming out has gone from mostly good to 99% perfect. The detents have been on point and the flippers have all been firing the way they should be. Rick has been super involved and really brought Hinderer back to where it once was. As for resale value I understand why folks are saying it is not good. The older generations before the tri way pivot are definitely selling low but lately most of the newer stuff has had a much higher resale value on the secondary market. Some of the newest stuff like the Full Track and Vintage series have actually been selling on the secondary market at or above retail in some cases.

Glad to hear more and more people are catching the Hinderer bug again. Hinderer has been on really on top of its game for the past 16-18 months. The tri way pivot was genius and the quality coming out has gone from mostly good to 99% perfect. The detents have been on point and the flippers have all been firing the way they should be.
I can confirm that the detent on the half track is excellent

I've got the RHK - CRK bug. I have a spear point Gen 4 RHK on the way. Sorry to say. I'm anti Gen-6 and I've owned both.

The XM design is hard working and hard to beat. But Id like to leave the bearings in the scrap bin along with the lock bar insert ..

The 3.5 XM fits like a glove. That goes for Gen 6 or previous.
What do you not like about the insert?

I’ve got 4 Hinderers:
1 early Gen in Stonewashed CPM20
1 Gen 6 Skinny w/slicer grind in Stonewashed DLC CPM20
1 Gen 1 Half Track, Full textured Ti in Battle Blue CPM20
1 Gen 2 Half Track Red Linen w/working finish CPM20

My favorites are the Skinny & the full textured Half Track.

What I really want now is a Maximus in full black DLC w/bayonet grind.

No reason to go zt anymore imho with all the problems zt has created for itself through the years. Hinderer seemed to have fixed there detent and introduced bearings or whatever you want for that matter... Including pb, Teflon and bearings for the pivot. Then they have fatty or slicer grinds. Hinderer himself has had a bit of a crappy past with things but the knives themselves have improved. I'll give him that. Last annoyance I heard from him was shutting down 3rd party scale makers. Threatening to sue them. Which was last year iirc. And that was mild in comparison to other things.

Glad to hear more and more people are catching the Hinderer bug again. Hinderer has been on really on top of its game for the past 16-18 months. The tri way pivot was genius and the quality coming out has gone from mostly good to 99% perfect. The detents have been on point and the flippers have all been firing the way they should be. Rick has been super involved and really brought Hinderer back to where it once was. As for resale value I understand why folks are saying it is not good. The older generations before the tri way pivot are definitely selling low but lately most of the newer stuff has had a much higher resale value on the secondary market. Some of the newest stuff like the Full Track and Vintage series have actually been selling on the secondary market at or above retail in some cases.

I'll agree that the previous Generations don't hold their value as well. Neither does the Slipjoint, Firetac, and certain bladeshapes are better than others. The slicer and sheepsfoot seem to do pretty well. Great knife though if you like a titanium flipper.

Back