1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

The hole in Cold Steel's Goldeneye

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Jamesh Bond, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Thomas Linton

Thomas Linton

Jun 16, 2003
    "I don't want to start or stir any fire with my post. Personally, I don't get into politics. I just really like knives! "
    :p:p:p

2. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I think it's pretty funny how they used a round hole and called it the Goldeneye. No idea if that was intentional or not. I think the knife is too fugly a design to sell well, so I think it's going to be inconsequential.

3. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    I'm also here! Fan of both, user and collector of both
    As for the hole,
    Did SOG (SogZilla), Buck (Vantage), CRKT (Amicus), Emerson (CQC10), 5.11 (Scout Tanto), KaBar (Dozier), Gerber (Gator Premium) FOX (Karambit), Brother, Navy, etc. ask for permission? Or is it an ellipse a different thing? What about the Brd line? Those also have kind of a tear or elongated hole as the opening method...

4. SpeedHoles

SpeedHoles

Jan 18, 2015
    I have to ask, does that gold colored thumb ramp/stud bushing in the hole of this Goldeneye rotate or spin freely?

I believe Fox manufactures product for Spyderco.

Navy seems to be a company that thrives on copying and altering designs as knives that ride the fine line of being a blatant knock-off of other companys products.

Byrd is owned by Spyderco.

You could also add the Victorinox Hunter Pro to your list of questions...

5. The Deacon

The Deacon

Apr 27, 2003
    Spyderco's trademark is a round hole used as an opener. So, yes, an elliiptical hole used as an opener or, for that matter, a hole of any shape other than round being used as an opener, is "a different thing".

6. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Byrd's "hole" is called a "comet opener" IIRC.

7. Jamesh Bond

Jamesh Bond

Jan 14, 2007
    Lol. Well played, shir.

8. Jamesh Bond

Jamesh Bond

Jan 14, 2007
    What if they used a BROWN bushing instead of gold?
    😀

9. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Well I've noticed many similarities between cold steel and spyderco as of late. For one, look how spyderco let cold steel use their design idea for the black talon. Spyderco also has a knife out for 2017 that is quite reminiscent of a tufflite. They both went to gratuitous use of CTS xhp about a year or so ago. And quite frankly, their knives have grown to resemble each other's in my opinion, in many ways. They seem either to be in the deepest throws of competition, or very friendly companies.

10. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    It struck me as hypocritical after the whole "San Mai" trademark fiasco.

11. remnar

remnar

Nov 14, 2013
    Would they then call it the browneye? :eek:

I think I need some hand sanitizer.

12. SpeedHoles

SpeedHoles

Jan 18, 2015

No, you're thinking about if they made that bushing PINK. ;)

13. Jamesh Bond

Jamesh Bond

Jan 14, 2007
    Yes. Yes they would.

Yes. Yes you do. . .