Photos The Hydra Heirloom. A modern take on a Gentleman's Tactical Folder.

k_065%202_zpslt5igrsa.jpg

k_044_zpsiu8guca4.jpg

The Hydra. A serpentine water dweller found in Greek mythology. With the fluidity of the design, it is not hard to see why Lee chose the name.

Overall specifications:
4" Hakapella Damasteel Blade
5.5" Handle
9.5" Overall Length
Mother of Pearl Scales

IMG_20170427_013927_399_zpsap0ckrv3.jpg

IMG_20170427_014313_497_zpsu3soy1rc.jpg

During the various discussions that I had with Lee, I brought up that I always loved the uniformity that the Hakapella damasteel brings to the knife. After some initial testing, we decided on that pattern. Flawlessly executed, Lee calls this his "Polished Etched" finish. It is deep etched and then finished on a buffing wheel. I've not seen this finish on any other knife and it is truly representative of the level of attention he places on the details. Any scratch during the finishing to 4k grit would result in painful rework.

Time-consuming? Most definitely. The end-result? Spectacular. I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

IMG_20170427_014957_456_zpscrijnypt.jpg

The titanium rods in the tapered backspacer are yet another signature of Lee's and one that I simply would not do without. The dovetailed mother of pearl inlay? Icing on the cake. Oh, did I also mention that there is also a thumb-relief cut on the back of the knife? I've definitely been spoilt by this build.

IMG_20170427_015404_253_zpsn86kynmu.jpg

Slapping down expensive materials like Timascus, Zircuti and Mokuti would certainly beautify a knife most of the time, but the line between dressy and overdone is a thin one. The philisophy that Lee and I discussed during the year leading up to this build was that this was to be a classy piece, with the pearl being the highlight.

How would one achieve that? By removing all distractions so that the eyes focus on the highlights. The scales and the pivot collar command the eye's attention subtly but hauntingly, which was the reason why we went with the hidden hardware construction on this build.

IMG_20170427_005352_569_zpsnvaqbfre.jpg

IMG_20170427_014619_185_zpss5niftrk.jpg

Mother of Pearl, being a natural material achieves what the man-made materials fall short of. The iridescence :cool: of the mother of pearl is simply not found on the abovementioned forged metals. I still find myself staring blankly and admiring the nacreous adornments often, amazed at how what we envisioned over a year ago has materialized. I say we because Lee's customer service is truly second to none. The incredible customer involvement and his friendly disposition make this a knife that I feel proud to call a collaboration.

k_014_zps0vbqdyl6.jpg

k_020_zpsxhk08ll0.jpg

When fully open, it becomes apparent that the amount of effort that went into this knife was astounding. There was a total of over 120 hours spent on this build. Every single surface has been painstakingly contoured. There are no hot-spots on this knife. Absolutely ZERO.

Lee knew that I valued symmetry in my knives highly. Strength of a Framelock? Check. Symmetry? Check. Voila! We've arrived at the Bolsterlock design. Always a more technically challenging lock design, many a maker shy away from doing it on their knives due to the unforgiving tolerances demanded of the maker.

I leave you with some pictures for your viewing pleasure. The mirror images best show the multifaceted nature of the hydra. Enjoy! :wave:

k_049_zpspvz5d0ql.jpg

k_062%20copy_zpsaaifzkyf.jpg

Thank you Lee, for your relentless pursuit of perfection. As a friend and collector, to me, there is no greater knife out there more deserving of the title "Heirloom".:smile:

**Edit** The pictures were taken professionally and not by me.

Last edited:
It's very pretty, though for some reason I find it a lot more attractive closed than open. I think the blade shape just isn't clicking with me.

That's just a work of art. I think someone posted a purple hued variation sometime back. I love em, but realistically for me, just for now, out of my reach. Grats, op!

It's very pretty, though for some reason I find it a lot more attractive closed than open. I think the blade shape just isn't clicking with me.

Yeah, well, sure... we know you've had this recent thing for bananas and tantos :p

Thank you for the kind words. Just sharing some pics of a knife we don't see very often close up.

Looks ripe for a spine whack test...

Truly a beautiful knife. Spending my summers in Galveston, TX, I have a deep appreciation for the natural beauty of the ocean, and love mother of pearl.

With a few modifications, and the access to funds, I would own this. And I would actually use it. I'm guessing this is certainly beyond my financial means. I wish you luck with this design.

Looks ripe for a spine whack test...

Truly a beautiful knife. Spending my summers in Galveston, TX, I have a deep appreciation for the natural beauty of the ocean, and love mother of pearl.

With a few modifications, and the access to funds, I would own this. And I would actually use it. I'm guessing this is certainly beyond my financial means. I wish you luck with this design.

It is not my design, I was merely lucky enough to get it.

Very nice. I follow the maker on IG and always love seeing hydra pics. Gorgeous knives.

Back