The Kizer Cormorant v2

Dergyll

Gold Member
Hello guys, thought I'd take a few minutes to tell you my honest thoughts on the kizer cormorant V2, a knife that's pretty hot recently, flying off the dealer pages.

TLDR? Buy it if you like it, dont buy it thinking it's a good knife...because you probably have a better one somewhere.

Screenshot_20211123-184512_Gallery.jpg
I bought the V2 with an open mind, because I think its ugly/unique in its looks. But I'm Chinese and I want to be supportive of everyone and give everything a chance.

Did the knife trade looks for functionality? No, it's not particularly good at anything except having many opening methods, none of which is particularly satisfying to use. Did it trade functionality for good looks?
Screenshot_20211123-185202_Chrome.jpg

Initial impression: F*** this box, overcomplicated and made of some kind of grippy felt like material that's hard to push through. KISS kizer, I bought a knife not a box.

Wow, this knife is small and not very ergonomic, the shape kind of makes you want to put your index finger down there, but it remains uncomfortable...wait hang on, is that a scratch on my blade? Yes it is, a tiny thin vertical snail.
Screenshot_20211123-185633_Gallery.jpg
giphy_SWoRKslHVtqEasqYCJ_fixed_width_200849267828428.gif

Cuts paper good, came very sharp, hollow grind is a good choice, kind of wonder why V1 was flat. Pokey tip is good for packages.

Deployment is where the knife is supposed to shine, but none of the deployment method feels satisfying. It flips horrible compared to a Civivi, the button lock feels lifeless and pales in comparison to a protech. Speaking of protech, heres what it sizes to:
Screenshot_20211123-184411_Gallery.jpg
No button stick like some knives, so that's a plus.

My mom looks at it and goes "hey it looks like a bird!" (Shes really smart) I dont think so, it looks like a little submarine to me:
Screenshot_20211123-184452_Gallery.jpg

Blade thickness is similar to an endura, but noticeably thicker than the Kitefin, my current EDC champ.
Screenshot_20211123-184432_Gallery.jpg

Btw, you can add about 30$ and buy a new Kitfin, made with titanium and beautiful construction and aesthetics. Which brings me back to the original point, why did I buy this thing? It does nothing well, looks ugly, it only stands out as having alot of deployment methods and feeling like it runs on teflon washers. Actually, my Tangram Vector feels smoother than this guy...

I'll tell you why: hype and youtube videos. Seriously, I really wish theres a place to handle knives before buying them.

Smock killer? Keep trying guys. I see what you're trying to do with this knife, but it's just not there yet. I'm spending this time to type up my thoughts because I care, and hope the best for Kizer, and that they'll take the feedback for this knife and make a better V3.

Buy this knife if it really speaks to you, like that first moment you saw it and realize you gotta have it. If you have even a little bit of hesitation, save yourself the time and do something else other than wait in line for the next drop.

As always, thank you guys for taking the time to read my thoughts, note that this is all about 3 hours into the knife, who knows maybe I'll like it.

Thanks for the review. I was interested based on the YouTube videos but I think I will hold after reading your review.

Thank you for the review Dergyll ! That's why I come to this forum for opinions rather than browsing YT at first.

I have the version 1 and consider it as it is : a really nice fidget knife with good cutting capabilities, and a contender to the Smock, as it lacks the fake finger choil and add a front flipping possibility.

What about the button ? Is the bigger size an improvment on the ergos ?

Hello guys, thought I'd take a few minutes to tell you my honest thoughts on the kizer cormorant V2, a knife that's pretty hot recently, flying off the dealer pages.

TLDR? Buy it if you like it, dont buy it thinking it's a good knife...because you probably have a better one somewhere.

View attachment 1688107
I bought the V2 with an open mind, because I think its ugly/unique in its looks. But I'm Chinese and I want to be supportive of everyone and give everything a chance.

Did the knife trade looks for functionality? No, it's not particularly good at anything except having many opening methods, none of which is particularly satisfying to use. Did it trade functionality for good looks?
View attachment 1688108

Initial impression: F*** this box, overcomplicated and made of some kind of grippy felt like material that's hard to push through. KISS kizer, I bought a knife not a box.

Wow, this knife is small and not very ergonomic, the shape kind of makes you want to put your index finger down there, but it remains uncomfortable...wait hang on, is that a scratch on my blade? Yes it is, a tiny thin vertical snail.
View attachment 1688109
View attachment 1688110

Cuts paper good, came very sharp, hollow grind is a good choice, kind of wonder why V1 was flat. Pokey tip is good for packages.

Deployment is where the knife is supposed to shine, but none of the deployment method feels satisfying. It flips horrible compared to a Civivi, the button lock feels lifeless and pales in comparison to a protech. Speaking of protech, heres what it sizes to:
View attachment 1688104
No button stick like some knives, so that's a plus.

My mom looks at it and goes "hey it looks like a bird!" (Shes really smart) I dont think so, it looks like a little submarine to me:
View attachment 1688106

Blade thickness is similar to an endura, but noticeably thicker than the Kitefin, my current EDC champ.
View attachment 1688105

Btw, you can add about 30$ and buy a new Kitfin, made with titanium and beautiful construction and aesthetics. Which brings me back to the original point, why did I buy this thing? It does nothing well, looks ugly, it only stands out as having alot of deployment methods and feeling like it runs on teflon washers. Actually, my Tangram Vector feels smoother than this guy...

I'll tell you why: hype and youtube videos. Seriously, I really wish theres a place to handle knives before buying them.

Smock killer? Keep trying guys. I see what you're trying to do with this knife, but it's just not there yet. I'm spending this time to type up my thoughts because I care, and hope the best for Kizer, and that they'll take the feedback for this knife and make a better V3.

Buy this knife if it really speaks to you, like that first moment you saw it and realize you gotta have it. If you have even a little bit of hesitation, save yourself the time and do something else other than wait in line for the next drop.

As always, thank you guys for taking the time to read my thoughts, note that this is all about 3 hours into the knife, who knows maybe I'll like it.

''A tiny thin vertical snail''..

Almost tore my sack on that one

Thank you for the review Dergyll ! That's why I come to this forum for opinions rather than browsing YT at first.

I have the version 1 and consider it as it is : a really nice fidget knife with good cutting capabilities, and a contender to the Smock, as it lacks the fake finger choil and add a front flipping possibility.

What about the button ? Is the bigger size an improvment on the ergos ?
The bigger button is better yes. I have medium sized hands and found no trouble engaging-disengaging the button.

Looking at the knife closely (in terms of design), I think the need to cram that thumb slot is what killed it for me. Due to the slot, you now need the blade to be humpy and have to have that handle cutout to accommodate.

You know what wouldve been better, a deep finger groove or slit to catch your finger, like on a civivi dogma. Heck, the dogma even has a version with a small open slit to catch your fingers. Sure, you might make middle finger flick slightly harder, but then you wouldn't need to make so many design compromises to make the hole work...the whole knife looks like a knife built from legos. Unless the whole point of the knife is to prove some kind of design triumph that you've got everything deployment method? Lol

Also, buy a spyderco and get the hole-chamfering bit down...there IS such a thing as over chamfering the hole.

That hole looks like it would constantly get clogged with whatever food you were cutting. The placement is pretty bad, I agree. The blade just isn't big enough to have that much real estate be a hole. That's one thing about Spyderco, they know how to do the hole in a blade right. On the plus side I love the scale colors.

I find Kizer blade apertures (and any slot-shaped ones, actually) often work better with an index flick vs a spydie flick, is that true with this one?

I find Kizer blade apertures (and any slot-shaped ones, actually) often work better with an index flick vs a spydie flick, is that true with this one?
I dont know man, but I just poked myself trying 😂 I blame you.

I dont know how you can do it "normally" or "comfortably" with the hole and index finger. Middle finger works, but the hole is toilet-seat level chamfered/polished, easy to slip on especially with unclean fingers.

I have exactly the opposite experiences. My cormorant v2 is a well made knife, and I replaced the smock with it for my edc rotation. The size is good for my big hand (3 finger), the triple/quadruple opening options all work fine, and the blade shape performs surprisingly well. TBH, I don’t think any of my civivi knives is as good as the cormorant.
My local knife pass group let me tested the v1 before I made the purchase, and I am very happy about getting the v2. It seems you got a dud, and you can contact Kizer for that.

So news, I just saw that KC has these for pre order (initial probably came and went) for only 102$...if you can wait and not give in to the hype this is a pretty awesome deal as it just barely nabs you free shipping.

Cheers everyone, thanks for everyone sharing your feedback!

It’s a nice review, thank you for taking your time with it. Pretty much my thoughts about it, put in more words…
I dismissed it in the moment I saw it.

Back