The knives that mean more than anything

Hey guys! I just wanted to hop on to share a story about the knife that means more than anything to me. It all starts with a road trip. For Spring Break my mom and I decided to drive 12 hours north to Couer d'Alene, Idaho. My 27 year old brother lives up there and I only get to see him once every 2 or 3 years. Last time I went to Coeur d'Alene was 9 years ago for my brother's graduation. After many hours of wrong turns and driving through beautiful Montana and barren Idaho, we arrived at our destination. A couple of days later we decided to drive down to Post Falls, Idaho to go to the Buck Knives factory for one of their tours. Turns out that the damn boy scouts had taken all of the spots, restricting us from going on the tour. While I was there, I bought a Buck 302 in rosewood and brass. This knife means more than anything to me because it marks the trip that I found out where I wanted to go to college (yes I am still in high school), where I want to live, and the bonding experience that I had with my mom. I would be destroyed if I lost this knife. A couple days ago I went on a trip into the woods to take some amateur pictures of the beautiful knife. Thanks for reading! Feel free to share your story about the knife that means more than anything in the world.

Here are some pictures:
The quality is only decent because the only camera I had was my smartphone.
IMG_20150423_164820_zpstgsqirf1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh, and one last thing; It'd be nice if this thread could stay on Traditionals instead of Buck.

I have one that is extremely special to me it's a 92 Eureka jack in jigged calico bone that was given to me by my older brother in September of this year. It always make me smile whenever I have it in hand!

That sounds like a great trip you had with your Mom. Keep that knife for as long as you can. It will instantly bring you back to happy times later when you're older.
I have two knives that are very special to me. The first is my Scout knife my Dad gave me in 1964. It really brings back many memories of my childhood. It is still a well constructed knife and it goes in my pocket during times that I need it most for comfort.
So don't be hard on those Boy Scouts taking up the tours. Think of how many kids might be getting their very first pocket knife. Mine is an Ulster Scout knife.

The other is a knife that was gifted to me by a very good member of this forum. A GEC #85 EO Forum knife.

These two knives mean so much to me. :thumbup:

CA- Great knife, great pics, and even better story! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Great story CA! That's a special knife indeed. We expect to see you back in 20 yrs or so to report back and share pics of it! :thumbup:

Congratulations on finding such a good knife to place such importance on! I have many knives that I like a lot, but there are only really three that I could never let go for any reason: My first knife, a Camillus Buck 303, a Buck 110 I got at around eight years old, and my grandfather's John Primble Folding Hunter pattern. It would devastate me to see any of them go missing or get broken. Good luck on going to college, I loved it when I started college, because now I can carry knives in class! Of course make sure you can before assuming.. Even in these modern times, it seems to still always be the traditional knives that people place some form of character and meaning onto. I like modern knives too, but they just aren't the same, they don't seem to carry their own stories the way a good traditional does.

Great story CA! That's a special knife indeed. We expect to see you back in 20 yrs or so to report back and share pics of it! :thumbup:

I sure hope I will still have this knife in 20 years. Hopefully, a nice patina will form by then. Patina always has a great story:)

That is a great story and a great knife CA. My dad gave me a Case Sodbuster Jr. when I was 17 (44 years ago) and I still have it. I would also be devastated if it went missing as it holds a lot of memories.

Speaking of Buck, I have a 110 that Chuck Buck signed some years ago. Another knife with memories as I had a long conversation with him and gained more respect for the principles the company was founded on. Good knives!

Dean

Great story! Mine is a Queen single blade, jigged bone barlow given me by my grandfather. It was my first knife some 60+ years ago and I still have it safely tucked away in the safe deposit box. My second most important is my Model 1 Randall that I ordered with my name when I was getting ready for 'Nam. Will never get rid of that one either.
Rich

Great idea for a thread, CodeA; I enjoyed your original post. :thumbup::thumbup:
Technically speaking, I have to disagree with you in the sense that NO knife can mean more than anything to me, but I know what you're saying.
I'm glad that I still have my first pocket knife from about 1960:
IMx0aU6.jpg

I visited my daughter in Spain earlier this year, and came back with some knives that remind me of very good times we had on what may have been a "once-in-a-lifetime" visit:
2rf2HdR.jpg

I have several knives I've received from BF members, and I doubt if I'll ever intentionally part with any of those knives. They're reminders of the good people I've "met" and the acceptance I've found here.

- GT

Back