The Leading Edge of Knife Features & The Knife Knut's Syllabus

I was trying to come up with a list of the current most interesting knife features. I realized I was also coming up with sort of a knife knut syllabus as well - sort of a "you will know more about knives if you have experience with ...". I split the lists in two.

My goal isn't to get into an argument about specific features, but to learn if there are items on other people's lists about which I haven't already learned.

Current Important Knife Features

I'm not talking specific brands or specific knives - I'm talkng about the specific features that are worth a knife knut's time to check out.

For example:

1) OTF with dual-action. An example would be the Microtech Scarab. The ability to keep your hand on a knife in the ready position and very quickly make it safe or usable is pretty compelling. Once you've used a DA OTF for a while, it really changes how you think about knives.

2) Integral folder design. An example would be the Scott Cook Lochsa. Machining the handle out of a single piece of titanium makes this knife so much more sturdy than other folder I've used that it's definitely worth handling one to get a sense of the difference.

3) ...

Knife Knut Syllabus

1) Blade Materials. Spend some time using knives with blades made of carbon steel, S30-V, obsidian, ceramic, and Talonite.

2) Locking Mechanisms. Liner lock, frame lock, lock back, Rollock, Mattlock, Toad, slip joint, and Niemi's centerlock.

3) Miscellaneous. Learn to flip a balisong, make a folder from a kit, go to a knife show, ...

4) ...

I'm not trying to be encyclopedic, I'm trying to list, say, blade materials that were actually interesting to use. Ceramic was interesting, and it taught me that ceramic blades have pretty specific and narrow applications. Obsidian blades were interesting. 440-C, ATS-34, 154 CM, and S30-V are all good steels, but you'd really only need to use one of them for a while to make good decisions about stainless blades in the future.

I would also have to include the subject of handle materials. There are so many intersting things out there, that you really need to take some time to experience them all. The natural ones: stag, pearl, wood. The synthetics: carbon fiber, G-10, FRN. Metal: Aluminum, Titanium, stainless. All have different pros/cons, and eveyone owes it to themself to find the ones that suit them.

DD

Originally posted by Daniel Dorn
I would also have to include the subject of handle materials. There are so many intersting things out there, that you really need to take some time to experience them all. The natural ones: stag, pearl, wood. The synthetics: carbon fiber, G-10, FRN. Metal: Aluminum, Titanium, stainless. All have different pros/cons, and eveyone owes it to themself to find the ones that suit them.

DD
^^great idea.

i personally love g10 for toughness, & the various micartas for looks & grippy-ness, especially canvas micarta. carbon fiber's awesome for lightness, strength, & the "techie" look.

Couldn't you simplify handles (from a functional perspective, not aesthetics) to:

• textured versus untextured
  • grooved versus ungrooved
  • plastics versus hardened metal versus titanium versus natural materials

Very interesting idea Gabe! I think it is one many of us have floated in our minds before; it is great to see someone trying to hammer this out!

As far as handle materials go, I'd be tempted to list them as their make-up (naturals vs. synthetics, and breakign them down further). That would be just like talking about the various steels, ceramics, etc. that could be used for blade material. THEN you can talk about what to do WITH the material. EG, you can checker handle material (or cut any surface you want, really!), bead blast it, sand it smooth, sand it and buff it, etc.

I'll ponder this more and add what I can Gabe!

Back