"The Library" -show/discuss your traditional knife reference books

Have a lot of books on knives, these are some of my favorites.

LfRHR8L.jpg

Thank you. Here are a few photos of that book.

IMG_3509_zpsem6e16y7.jpg

IMG_3517aa_zps00jlawk5.jpg

IMG_3515_zpstnyks04q.jpg

IMG_3514_zpskkj1k3v0.jpg

IMG_3513_zpsbkfakb10.jpg

IMG_3512_zpskmaaxzip.jpg

supratentorial supratentorial -Ooh yes, that looks like a nice book. I want it even more! Thanks for those great pics!

Here's a list of a few Sheffield knife books I posted in another thread a while back :thumbsup:

Sheffield Exhibition Knives, edited by Bill Adams, Old World Publishing, 1999.

Forging History: The Story of George Barnsley and Sons..., Pauline Bell with Colin Barnsley, 2010.

Mesters to Masters, edited by Clyde Binfield and David Hey, Oxford University Press, 1997.

Sheffields Cutlers World of 1884 AD, Compiled by Michael D Everett, MDE Publications, 1986.

Robert Fead Mosley, First Manufacturer of Stainless Knives, Anna de Lange, Portland Works, 2013.

The Cutlers of Hallamshire 1624-1699, edited by David Hey and Joan Unwin, University of Sheffield.

Back to the Grindstone: Personal Recollections of the Sheffield Cutlery Industry, Herbert Housley, Hallamshire Press, 1998.

On The Knife Edge: The Inside Story of the Sheffield Cutlery Industry, Clare Jenkins and Stephen McClarence, Sheffield Libraries and Information Service, 1989.

Penknives and other folding knives, Simon Moore, Shire Publications, 1988.

Table Knives and Forks, Simon Moore, Shire Publications, 1995.

Cutlery For The Table: A History of British Table Cutlery, Simon Moore, Hallamshire Press, 1999.

A Sheffield Heritage: An Anthology of Photographs and Words of the Cutlery Crafsmen, C.A.Turner, Sheffield University, 1979.

Stan Shaw, Master Cutler, Geoffrey Tweedale, Interleaf Publications, 1993.

Tweedale’s Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufacturers 1740-2013, Geoffrey Tweedale, 2010.

A Cut Above The Rest: The Heritage of Sheffield’s Blade Manufacturers, Joan Unwin and Ken Hawley, Hawley Collection Trust, 2003.

They Lived in Nether Edge, Nether Edge Local History Group, 1988.

Earning a Living: Memories of Work in and around Sheffield (2 volumes), Workers Education Association, 2008.

@Jack Black -Haha, just a few. Thank you for putting the list here! Do you have a favorite or two among them?
I want to pick up - Stan Shaw, Master Cutler, Geoffrey Tweedale.

What a great thread:thumbsup: I am collecting information with each post. Thank you guys!

Thanks @AShearer! I'm right there with you!

I hope this is being archived somewhere! Great information.

@Dschal :thumbsup:

Have a lot of books on knives, these are some of my favorites.

LfRHR8L.jpg

Clem Kadiddlehopper Clem Kadiddlehopper - Nice pile! Thanks for posting them. I would love a look through the Scagel book. He made some amazing things! And signed by the author!? Cool!
Also, the Gun Traders Guide, I see some names I recognize there! :thumbsup: :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you. Here are a few photos of that book.

IMG_3509_zpsem6e16y7.jpg

IMG_3517aa_zps00jlawk5.jpg

IMG_3515_zpstnyks04q.jpg

IMG_3514_zpskkj1k3v0.jpg

IMG_3513_zpsbkfakb10.jpg

IMG_3512_zpskmaaxzip.jpg
Thanks for the pics of this book. I appreciate your posts so much. Always full of instruction and interesting things. I've been thinking about this book and this was the catalyst I needed. Just ordered it.:D

Clem Kadiddlehopper Clem Kadiddlehopper - Nice pile! Thanks for posting them. I would love a look through the Scagel book. He made some amazing things! And signed by the author!? Cool!
Also, the Gun Traders Guide, I see some names I recognize there! :thumbsup: :cool:

Thanks - the Levine book is signed also....
You can see it here in the lower left, along with other autographs I have.

signaturesaa-jpg.707487

Attachments

• signaturesAA.jpg
    signaturesAA.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 136
Nice to have the signatures, Al :thumbsup:

Dwight, You'll love the book :thumbsup:

Marty, The book was printed in 1984 for the 100 year anniversary. I don't know if it has been reprinted. The smaller book by Derek Jackson overlaps but I haven't done a comparison.

Catalogs are a great resource for a library. Here are a few...

1890 Maher & Grosh
IMG_4784_zpsrwjp965z.jpg

1905 Logan-Gregg
Untitled-1_zpssazwzdop.jpg

1910 Thomas Manufacturing
IMG_4839_zpsbcot5avi.jpg

1913 HSB
IMG_4790_zpsluaapqf9.jpg

1952 Logan-Gregg
IMG_3546_zps3lpwwhgn.jpg

1968 Abercrombie
IMG_4799_zpsixxooqa7.jpg

1978 Victorinox
IMG_4847_zpscbokasv1.jpg

1998-2003 Schrade, Imperial and Camillus
1489188174_40_1_1_zps0nkrstj3.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard to add to what's already been posted, but I'll try. The scout knife book is sadly dedicated to mostly just Boy Scout knives, and other models involved in the BSA controversy. It leaves out most of the best examples of the scout pattern ever made. But it is a good reference for scout knife collectors.

pgXOvPwh.jpg

XnWSpKjh.jpg

Thanks - the Levine book is signed also....
You can see it here in the lower left, along with other autographs I have.

signaturesaa-jpg.707487

Clem Kadiddlehopper Clem Kadiddlehopper Nice, with signatures!:thumbsup:

Nice to have the signatures, Al :thumbsup:

Dwight, You'll love the book :thumbsup:

Marty, The book was printed in 1984 for the 100 year anniversary. I don't know if it has been reprinted. The smaller book by Derek Jackson overlaps but I haven't done a comparison.

Catalogs are a great resource for a library. Here are a few...

1890 Maher & Grosh
IMG_4784_zpsrwjp965z.jpg

1905 Logan-Gregg
Untitled-1_zpssazwzdop.jpg

1910 Thomas Manufacturing
IMG_4839_zpsbcot5avi.jpg

1913 HSB
IMG_4790_zpsluaapqf9.jpg

1952 Logan-Gregg
IMG_3546_zps3lpwwhgn.jpg

1968 Abercrombie
IMG_4799_zpsixxooqa7.jpg

1978 Victorinox
IMG_4847_zpscbokasv1.jpg

1998-2003 Schrade, Imperial and Camillus
1489188174_40_1_1_zps0nkrstj3.jpg

supratentorial supratentorial good pictures of your catalogs, old and newer. Thanks for posting them!:thumbsup:

It's hard to add to what's already been posted, but I'll try. The scout knife book is sadly dedicated to mostly just Boy Scout knives, and other models involved in the BSA controversy. It leaves out most of the best examples of the scout pattern ever made. But it is a good reference for scout knife collectors.

pgXOvPwh.jpg

XnWSpKjh.jpg

Buzzbait Buzzbait There is another book I was unaware of. Thanks for the write up!:thumbsup:

A book that might interest collectors of antique Case knives and history is First 100 Years: A Pictorial and Historical Review Of W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery by Giles. Some nice images and history. Published by a large dealer in TN and I believe it is out of print. I have the book but couldn't find any photos in photobucket.

Also, a forum member, Steve Pfeiffer, wrote Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide .

And another forum member, Mike Robuck, wrote Gun Trader's Guide to Collectible Knives .

Last edited:
Thanks supratentorial supratentorial !
A couple photos of Steve Pfeiffers book Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide, First and Second editions. Full of information on Case knives and many high quality color photos.
vwo5g4D.jpg

x8Iofv0.jpg

Thought I would add another book here.
100 Legendary Knives by Gerard Pacella
It covers a lot of American makers of yesteryear, regional knives from around the world and a lot of interesting history as well as high quality color photos. Far more interesting than the title might suggest.:thumbsup:

0emvE4Y.jpg

PnXh9ao.jpg

qYQF991.jpg

Back