The Lynn Thompson Signature Spartan

I have long thought that the Spartan is a very underrated Cold Steel folder. It and the Rajah were "folding tank" models well prior to the introduction of the 4-MAX. And as much as I love the 4-MAX, in many ways, the Spartan outshines and out-performs it.

I'm really looking forward to the Lynn Thompson Signature Spartan, and I hope that GSM doesn't abandon it. (It's no longer listed among the New Items and, in fact, doesn't appear at all on the Web site.) In my surfing to learn more about the Signature Spartan, I discovered that KnifeCenter and Blade HQ show two very different photos of the prototype.

This is KnifeCenter's.

IMG-3305.jpg

This is Blade HQ's.

IMG-3308.jpg

Note that the serial numbers are different, with KnifeCenter's being 0000 and Blade HQ's being 0001. I don't know if the different serial numbers and handle configurations correspond with different designs, different manufacturers, or both.

While the Blade HQ model more closely resembles the aesthetic of the original Spartan, the KnifeCenter model appears more comfortable and refined, and personally I hope that the final version (if there is a final version) turns out to follow that design. Here's to hoping that we see at least one come to fruition!

-Steve

the spartan is the only CS that has ever jumped out of my hands not once but twice now. I'll blame the long reach to the thumb disc and the freaky plastic handle. G 10 would be great.

I have been really looking forward to the LT Spartan. Does anyone have a clue when or even if these will.ever happen?

Just saw them listed as overdue on Midway, and I finally saw the price. GSM has lost their freaking minds. $399 ?!

Last edited:
finally saw the price. GSM has lost their freaking minds. $399 ?!
If this will be the street price, I don't know what to say about that. San Mai Trail Masters are going for less than that, at least where I am. I love the classic Spartan and would easily pick up another one, if
an upgraded plain edge version (3V, plain edge, G10, anyone?) would come out, even for a much higher price than the standart one. But change the handle color, put serrations on it,
call it a signature edition and that's it for this of a price? Just no.

If this will be the street price, I don't know what to say about that. San Mai Trail Masters are going for less than that, at least where I am. I love the classic Spartan and would easily pick up another one, if
an upgraded plain edge version (3V, plain edge, G10, anyone?) would come out, even for a much higher price than the standart one. But change the handle color, put serrations on it,
call it a signature edition and that's it for this of a price? Just no.

I saw one of the generally less expensive retailers now listing them as IN STOCK.... for $399

If you want one wait, there is no way in hell the knife world is gonna pay that.

Back