The Marble's USA Thread

Great thread Smithhammer. Just got this photo in before the thunder( a female whitetail is nibbling on grass in front of the house), Handy Hunter(sold by A.G. Russell) and a Loveless Sport in ivory micarta. The steel takes a very nice edge and holds it quite well. I like both of these knives very much. Claude Scott sheaths.

attachment.php

... and I need to run the weed eater.

Kris

Deskil, Thank you for the compliment! I found a photo of my Marble's Drop Point hunter - I've been told this one was made in the USA after 2000 under contract by Camillus - not as desirable as the ones made in Gladstone, but a fine hunting knife nonetheless. OH

DSC02873_opt.jpg

Here's my ancient Ideal that required new spacers. Cuts like anything and feels great in the hand. I also have a few vintage leather handles ones but don't have pics at this time.

The top two are Camillus made Marbles IIRC. The bottom one is the Gladestone Fieldcraft I posted earlier.

Marbles_zps099f4a9c.jpg

Kris, I know I've said it before, but both of those knives are just fantastic. I can't decide which one I like more! And yes, 52100 is such a great steel. I'm amazed at how effortless it is to get my Loveless Sport wicked sharp. Which often means edge retention is weak, but somehow I just haven't found that to be the case with 52100. I love Marble's knives from this era for all their history and beauty, but when a steel like that is included in the package, there's nothing not to like.

And Mr. Scott's sheaths are unreal. Quite appropriate for those knives. :thumbup:

... and I need to run the weed eater.

Don't remind me... :rolleyes:

Old Hunter - that's a great looking drop point!!

utah_fish - Wow, I would love to know how old that Ideal blade is. Nice job on the update.

Great idea for a thread S-H, I could look at these knives all day :thumbup:

utah_fish - Wow, I would love to know how old that Ideal blade is. Nice job on the update.[/QUOTE]

The blade size, stamp, pommel and pommel nut date it to 1921-1922.

IMG_2383copy2_zpseeed81ea.jpg

Not too many folders in this thread. I'm loving the array of classic fixed blades, though.
This is my only Marble's from Gladstone, MI, a model 19, 4 1/4" Trapper, with AIRDI 150 blade steel.

My other Marbles - a Trailmaker with a 7-1/8" blade in stag and stacked leather, 12-3/8" overall. Blade is 5160 steel. From the "Stewart-era:"

nrNzXs.jpg

xT7L1R.jpg

zFxNK1.jpg

5AMa8u.jpg

In the original sheath:

2yQwv3.jpg

And just to give an idea of what a beast this is, here it is next to my "99 Sport" which is 8-1/4" overall:

k8VxhM.jpg

Last edited:
A few tidbits about the history of the Trailmaker model:

- The Trailmaker was introduced in 1905.

- It was the largest knife that Marble's produced, and was available over the years in several variations, with blade lengths from 7" - 10" and overall lengths from 12" - 15"

- The name of the knife comes from the old practice of marking trails by cutting bark off the side of trees.

- Webster Marble's was quoted as saying that, "there is no one cutting tool that will serve as many purposes as the Trailmaker."

:thumbup:

SH,
The knife is made by a fellow named Parker that apparently played fast and loose with company names.
I bought it from SMKW around 1996…

The Marble's purists scream FAKE!
I call it a pretty nice knife.
I've never seen another.

The knife in my pocket was my wife's grandfather's. I don't know much about it, but it says "Marbles" on the handle. It's 6 1/4" long when closed, and 9 1/4" when open. The leather sheath has gotten a bit brittle, so I need to replace that. The handles had started turning green (from sweat , I think) but a friend cleaned her up for me. It's sharp enough to shave. A good knife.

How do I put a picture with this message?

Howard

The knife in my pocket was my wife's grandfather's. I don't know much about it, but it says "Marbles" on the handle. It's 6 1/4" long when closed, and 9 1/4" when open. The leather sheath has gotten a bit brittle, so I need to replace that. The handles had started turning green (from sweat , I think) but a friend cleaned her up for me. It's sharp enough to shave. A good knife.

How do I put a picture with this message?

Howard

A lot of use Photobucket. Set up a free account, upload your picture(s) and do what this link says; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...r-grandfather-s-knife?p=12638508#post12638508.

Thanks to Sarah (Pertinux) for the tutorial.

Back